ZBrushCentral

Weekly Sketch Group (Topic#2-Ocean Dwelling Monster)

thanks skullbeast have really been liking your traditional style in your sketches and the work you did for the contest… :slight_smile:

thanks space i hope they are recognizable… will try to add something soon… :wink:
sorry i missed your piece to bad you took it down would have of liked to see what it was…

hey Dribble i agree its good to see more people contributing to these. really the only advice i can give is practice, practice and try new things that you normally wouldn’t and try to work with reference or a clear concept all and all i think it really comes down to is how dedicated you are to learning and applying what you learn… also don’t get discouraged with where you are in relation to other people because you will only keep on improving… :wink:

Thanks Troy! I’m very determined to learn and I’m sure I’ll keep improving while I’m hosting these weekly challenges (which I could still use more topics for, btw).
I’m going to try to take all of the criticism to heart and try to make this an actual skill instead of just a hobby.

I actually liked what space had, I thought the idea was pretty interesting.

Here’s the base-mesh for this time around on my sea monster…

It’s at subdivision one, and the fins are zspheres that i’ve added as subtools.

I took Space’s advice and added joints onto the fins also and it does look quite a bit better already.

Does this look like a decent starting place? Any other tips from here?

Attachments

Base Mesh SEAMONSTER.jpg

Worked on this most of the day!
I think It is a massive improvement.

I’m going to spend the rest of my time building debris for the water as suggested!

Thanks guys! The help was excellent!

Seamonster Render 2.jpg

Attachments

Seamonster Render 4.jpg

Seamonster Render 3.jpg

Seamonster No Fog.jpg

hey dribble looking better then before your low poly seems to be working better for you then before and you seem to be understanding subtools also which i also good… now the only advice i can give is try to sculpt as much detail and main forms as you can on each subdivision this will give you a strong foundation and then subdivide your mesh when you cant do much more on that level. this is important in the fact that it helps keep down the blobby form look which happens when stepping up to fast in subdivision. its also good that your dedicated to want to improve that will help you that much more in improving your skill set…:wink:

Yeah I’m still having a little trouble knowing when to switch subdivision levels still but I think one of my main issues was not knowing that I could add extra clay after I had already started a sculpt.
Man, that helped out tons…

Gonna pay more attention to when I divide from now on.
Hopefully it shows on the next topic…