ZBrushCentral

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune models

Just wanted to congratulate the whole team of Naughty Dog for the great game they’ve made!
(Beating the game for second time, right now:D)
It’s amazing how much detail has been put in this game, it trully is the BEST looking game on the PS 3 or any other platform!
Can’t wait for the part 2;) :+1:

EDIT
oh and the “next gen” effect(great way to mock the games that are overusing glow effects):smiley: :+1: :+1:

great post the models look great i like the female one in scubba gear alot. I have played the game and it looks amazing overall chracters and environments, congrats to a job well done. Thanks for sharing

Hiya Rich, a colleague here at the office showed me this thread and I’m glad he did, great work and I just started playing the game last night. Mesmerizing!

I was wondering about that GDC document tho, I think it might come in handy. If you can locate it, it would be appreciated!

~t

weird that i just saw this thread. i used to work w/ you at naughtydog. my names adam marquis - i did environment art (textures).
i was on uncharted in the early stages, but worked on all the jak games.
good stuff man!

cheers

-Adam

how did you texture the skin. was it drivin by a sub surface scattering shader? what is the best way to pain the skin color on to the zbrush model? do you use the paint tools or is there another program thats better?

Some real quality models here, great work! All the faces have a believable aspect too them which is not an easy task. Thanks for posting these!

The game was absolutely gorgeous.

But god that end sequence made me soooo angrRRRrY!! :angry:

Took me a billion attempts to kill that bastard with the gun on the boat. I really hate games with set pieces.

But still, beautiful graphics!. Well done! :slight_smile:

That game was the best I’ve ever played, and restarted immediately after finishing it.

By the way, I do hope, that they not switched to mudbox, though Rich’ website contains GDC slides suggesting it… :frowning:

thanks again guys… I’m glad people are still enjoying the game!

so the texture of the skin was hand painted. the shader tried to mimick a sss feel but was a complete fake… as are most sss shaders. I painted all the skin inside of zbrush with either poly paint or just texture projection on a map… nothing too crazy…

splodge… i feel your pain :slight_smile:

Jester… We still use zbrush at naughty dog. I was just asked by Autodesk to do a talk on thier behalf. That is why the GDC slides feature Mudbox. Honestly, I’m going to use whatever tool is needed to get the job done. As I’m sure most people will. As of now Zbrush is doing everything we need to do and is the primary tool used at Naughty Dog. Competition is nice though. It’ll only bring innovation!

Thanks again everyone!
-Rich

by hand painting you mean in zbrush or in an app like painter or photoshop. i find that i can’t seem to blend colors very well just on the spay, intensity slider, vairance and stuff alone and it upsets me. Using a roll on skin texture works sometimes but then scaling becomes an issue. any advice?

its its useful for you in the future i found using turtle i can render sss fairly fast. Except they don’t have any tutorials to adjust the slider so it looks like real skin. instead it looks more like a clay surface when i have global illumination with some edge glow.

Awesome models, unique style of art, great game.

wow… just amazing

Hey Rich,

I’m waiting for the next installation of Uncharted! I’m sorry that the girl character is dropped.

By the way, I felt during the game the characters were based upon several actors. For example Drake reminded me to Dean Cain a bit, while the girls has some Jennifer Aniston look, the old guy had a bit of Christopher Walken. That made me feel very good, because I felt that I know these characters.