ZBrushCentral

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune models

I seriously love Uncharted, one of the best games I’ve played in a long time, you and your team should be very proud. I can’t wait for a sequel.

-K.

The dead body sculpt is outstanding, love the gesture in the hands. Well done and congratulations :+1:

Awesome man!

amazing work :o

Wow! Impressive and inspiring. 22k to 30k for IN GAME? Or cinimatic? What engine did you guys use?

Wonderful work :slight_smile:

Great work man!

Alex Oliver

thanks guys!

Gaboon - in game and cinematic… they are both the same exact models and textures… no difference… we created our own in house engine.

Great work. very beautifull model. thank for share this.:slight_smile: :+1: :+1:

Awesome work : D

very great model but everytime i look at Drake he reminds of Dane cook can anyone agree maybe just a little

Words Cant Even Describe Ur Models:+1: :+1: :+1:

great works !

nice work, love the low level shapings of all the models, especially visible in the mummy like character, less is more ,they always say,:+1:

WOW~ Nice work. :+1:
I like your textures, how to do so wonderful textures ?

…movies’s posters! :sunglasses:

What more can I say? :wink: It was a great project and these pics are a perfect example of its quality. Great work bro!

Hi Rich!
This stuff looks awesome! The game models we just did at Gentle Giant for Goldenaxe were Zbrush sculpted and mostly handpainted with a bit of photo stuff on top. Maybe that’s new trend.
I’m wondering what’s this mean below?:
WailingMonkey- doing the hair was a pain!! i think it took almost 2 days to get to look right. i ended up writing a mel script that helped a little with laying out and bi-railing all the strands. i used nurbs curves and converted them to polys after. each strand i would lower accordingly. it wasn’t fun!

Thanks
Jim McP

Wow Diamant! Really cool work!!!:+1: :sunglasses: :+1:
but… honestly I can’t wait for a new Jak and Dexter in a Next Gen Way!!! :laughing:

Amazing stuff Rich, fantastic game!

I know your the lead character artist, but what about the environment art for the game, any zbrush there?

thx steve

Thanks everyone!

Super - all the textures are hand painted inside of zbrush. I tend to use the colored spray alot as well as alphas with the drag brush to drag random pattern and breakup onto the model. In the end I try to treat the map as a painting reather then a mimick of reality. I put just enough in to let the viewer fill in the blanks. sometimes less is more to quote ivo d.

This is also a personal preference of mine. I tend to like the more hand sculpted and hand painted feel of a model. In the end it looks more like a piece of art then something just trying to mimick reality. I think this is one way to stay away from the whole Uncanney Valley thing a lot of people are falling into these days.

Jim- This could be one of the reasons people are starting to go more down that route. Its also one of the main reasons I love Naughty Dog. We all really want to create a world that is our own. Not one that just mimicks reality. That is why all our work is hand painted and hand sculpted. I think in the end people will look at our game and hopefully not critisize it the same way they would from one that is trying to mimick reality. We really wanted to create our own Universe and I’m very proud at what we all accomplished.

so to answer your question… what i did was create a nurbs curve… that was pretty much the guide for the strand of hair. I then created two more straight line curves. These acted as the rails for the first curve. if you snap the ends of the straight curves to the start and tip of the guide curve, you can create a birail from that… what that does is create a nurbs patch using the first straight line to determine the width and angle, then the second staight line to determine the end with and end angle. The patch will follow the guide curve. Hopefully this makes sense…

now the problem with this is after you create the birail, you wont be able to move the tips or start position of the guide hair. If you do it will break the history and your nurbs patch will dissapear. You’ll then have to re snap the ends of both straight lines and re-create the birail.

so what i did was create a mel script that would take the two straight lines and point constrain the tips of those to the starting point and tip of the guide hair. That way if i moved the tips or starting position of the guide hair the lines will stay attached and move with it. Now when i create the birail, i can move the nurbs curves freely without breaking the history of the object.

regardless of this whole approach, I still had to create each strand manually and position them accordingly. So in the end it was a pain but a necessary pain. We are working right now on a better solution that should solve a lot of the heart ache of making hair. I’ll save that for Uncharted 2 :slight_smile:

hope this clears some things up!

piz- we’ll see what happens with that. Our focus right now however is on Uncharted. There really is no talk yet about whether we will be doing another Jak. There are a ton of people who do want it though, so i wouldn’t rule it out completely!

copain- zbrush was actually used a ton for our environment art. It was used a little differently then the norm however. Our environment guys really utilized the 2d aspects of zbrush for creating thier textures. I’ll see if i can get anybody from that side to come on and maybe post some work or insite into thier methods.

thanks again!
-Rich

great explanation for making the hair thank you, i used to extrude polys over a curve for female hair DUH ( beginners old trick ) !! which one end represent the root of the hair and the end is the tip; moving CVs then hit extrude , your approach is very professional … but let me tell you … you got me really curious now about the new solution. :wink: gonna wait for Uncharted 2 so you can share your other approach.:laughing:

and the textures are all hand painted inside zbrush ? lil bit of photo layering on top or totally poly painting you mean ??

awesome work really :+1: