ZBrushCentral

TUTORIAL - Box Modeling and Precision Texturing

Potentially it would be easier to do this in a polygonal modeler (as others have said); but the point of this tutorial was to show that ZBrush can indeed act as a box/polygonal modeler too.

I know I’ve never used the edgeloops as much as I did following this tutorial and I learned at least 3 or 4 new tricks with them.

Every tool has it’s strengths. Nothing will ever be the best at everything. But I’ll definitely be more inclined to do simple box modeling in ZBrush now. Not to mention showing off the nifty texturing techniques I learned.

I’ve been waiting for a tutorial like this for a long time. This was a good one.

Very nice tutorials. Great!!
I compare it with you and do not use BoxModeling well.
About visibility and selection, if ZB has lasso tool instead of red and a green rectangle, it will become very convenient.

Hiroshi Yoshii_________________
Hiroshi Yoshii Online Portfolio
ZBrush.jp

Versality one more time again indeed :smiley: :sunglasses: :wink: :+1:
Pilou
Ps
The first image Number 10 is not a pipe of Magritte :smiley:

I must be a polygon short of a full deck! I have tried to reconstruct 3D cube it this tutorial, and I cannot see the option to do so as shown in the screen shot in the beginning of this tut. What am I missing, or doing wrong. I know this is basic stuff, but if I can’t get thru the easy stuff…

Many thanks ,

lushkin

Lushkin,

I’d bet you are forgetting to select the new Tool you created in step 4?

Skin_Cube3DCopy1

This is a different kind of object (polymesh) and when it becomes the selected object, new menu options are made available.

Sven

Hi all,

I’m David and I live in Spain. I’m an airbrush artist and it’s my first go with a 3D program.

Zbrush is my first choice on 3d programs, I must say it looks good at the first sight.

I’ve started to do this tutorial and got stuck when I couldn’t get the cube to “edge loop” (2 hours later I made it!!). Right now I’m stuck on the simetry. When I use the x & y to move the whole side of the edge, I can only move two of the four sides resulting in an uneven shape; if I taggle around I get the same results: uneven shapes. Is there a step that I’m skipping? I’ve tried also with the “shift”, but no way.

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know.

Thanks in advaced,

David

If you did not have X and Y symmetry enabled from the very beginning you will probably end up with a non-symmetrical object.

You should use the Tool : Deformations : Smart Resym button to restore symmetry. If you followed the tutorial you should leave X enabled on the Smart Resym button.

If that does not work you might have moved most of the tool off center (see Tool : Preview : Object Preview window) you should then press Tool : Deformation : Unify, which will recenter your tool and also resize it. Then you can try Tool : Deformation : Smart Resym again.

You will most likely not be able to keep symmetry on 2 axis at the same time. This is a limitation of nearly all 3D programs.

Symmetry in Zbrush is based on what you see in the Tool : Preview : Object Preview window. The red cross is the center.

Thanks for the great tuorial! i really learned a lot from it :+1:

Thank you so much Aurick!

I have used z for 3 years and now I can dig even deeper.
There is so much to learn about this great app.
You guys are absolutely great -keep on making revolution! :wink:

another great tutorial! it really shows how to use different features of ZB together

I wandered in here from another thread, and although I wasn’t too interested in box modeling early this morning, I did want to learn about edge loops

… and along the way I feel like I have learned a dozen useful things that can be generally applied! (e.g., hiding/showing groups as a way of masking)

btw this turned out to be just the right tutorial for someone who wants to make curvy futuristic buildings and vehicles

Aurick and others, thanks for the time you put into these tutorials – these really help in the understanding of how to integrate ZB’s features

Hi all, I’m having a bit of frustration with this tutorial (which probably stems from my inexperience with Z). First, when hiding all but the face that I want to add an edge loop to, how can I move the face without also moving the points (and thereby squash or stretch the face in one direction or the other)? Is there a way to select a face as opposed to the points on it? Second, I don’t understand something that happens to my ‘original box model’ before I beging to sub-divide it. Below is a sequence that shows what I am talking about. The first pic is my ‘original box model’ before hitting Apple-D to sub-divide. The second pic is the model after sub-dividing once. The third pic is after I ‘back the model down’ to the first level (with no sub-divisions). Why is my original cube (the pinkish one) now a trapazoid? If I straighten the sides back out to make it a cube again and then go up to one sub-division level and back down again, it turns into a trapazoid again? How can I stop it from doing this?

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

Picture 1.pdf (6.54 KB)

Picture 2.pdf (20.1 KB)

Picture 3.pdf (6.29 KB)

I cant find reconstruct subdivision in the tool geometry menu. I have followed your instructions precisely. Please advise if there is anything I can do to continue your interesting tutorial.
Best Regards

After making the polymesh/unified skin you need to actually select that new object in the Tool palette. Otherwise, you’re still working with the parametric object and don’t have the more advanced Geometry functions available.

Thanks that worked!:smiley:

I have the same question as wombatty regarding movement of points. How do I move just the edges in the x and y and not the z? I got to the step in which one needs to construct the place of the wings and have no clue how to move the points just on the plane and not deform the shape of the main square. Please help. I’m so very used to 2D work, being a paiting major, but 3D work poses a major challenge and I’m sure that the solution is just a matter of a setting, I just have no clue which one. It also seems to be such a rudimentary concept that I couldn’t find within the help section of the program. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Hi, Aurick.

Great Tut. What is the best way to print out the tutorial with all graphics included?

Thanks,

~S.~

To restrict movement of points to a single axis, take a look in the Transform>Modifiers. The default is for XYZ to be on, but you can turn it off and individually select the allowable axis (or axes). The axis directions are based on the object’s local coordinates (as shown in the Tool>Preview).

This way could work :slight_smile:
Federaik

Hi, Aurick.

Great Tut. What is the best way to print out the tutorial with all graphics included?

Thanks,

~S.~

SNARK Hope this works…
F