ZBrushCentral

Tortosaur update.

The coolest thing about this model is that, on a forum of fantastic detail, and modeling, this is also one of the coolest creature designs I’ve seen.That thing MUST be animated… ASAP

Nice one, especially like the head :+1:

Thanks everyone for the props! Puts a smile on my face but I know I still have a long way to go with this guy. Everything is a learning experience right now.

Big bucks- I’m using multiple maps, but I’m not using displacement maps, I’m using bump maps in conjunction with displaced geometry via a blend shape or morph target.

Cwal- You don’t have to wait, you just need to adapt an new work flow to accommodate your computers needs. ( that’s why I’m doing all the Hi - Frequency detail as a bump and not a displacement.)

Here is my control cage. (nothing too crazy.)

Here is my Zbrush pass.

Here is a flat shaded look through the Maya view port.

All the rest is being driven by color, diffuse, spec and bump maps.

Peace,

NickZ. :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. If you want to see the original concept drawing that I did for this guy then go here: (Top left hand corner.)

http://www.pinwire.com/nickz/LR_Version_3/html/concept.htmltort_base_wire_01.jpgtort_smoothed_wire_01.jpgtort_flat_shade_01.jpg

Beautiful model. Thanks for the background info–I’d love to hear more about your texturing process, as I am working on a similar wrinkled/reptilian-skinned beast.

Bluemoon, I assume the back and front plates are going to be turtleshell-like.

Man youve been workig on this guy for what like 2 years? hahah. It’s good to see work from you Nick. The shader pass looks awsome.

I took a look at your site Nickz and it has some fantastic work there. This model is just so original and the face detail makes it worthy of the top shelf. :slight_smile:

• mic

Love the originality of that creature…and the impressiveness or your artistic ability.

Here is an update to the neck.

More as they come!

Peace,

Nick Z. :slight_smile:

P.S. Ghost Rider- You are correct, I’ve been working on this guy for over 2 years now! Her is a thread to prove it:

http://www.pinwire.com/postp139.html&highlight=#139

(I guess because i have no deadline for this guy and I keep trying new things that is why he is taking soooo long. I think I have tried to paint/sculpt this guy about 3 - 4 different ways now. I think he is looking better with time and I’m still having fun/learning so I’m cool with the time factor.)tort_neck_bump_01.jpgtort_neck_bump_02.jpgtort_neck_bump_03.jpg

simply incredible!:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

very clean mesh, i like it, the first one image (the colour one) is a ZB render?

We want more screenshots !!!

Painting the belly mask.

Good night! :slight_smile:

NickZ. :stuck_out_tongue:paintingBellyMask_003.jpg

Hmm, I never tried to use the Displacemet Map as a Bump Map - But you’ve got some really nice results here… I had a lot of trouble dealing with Displacements in Maya, no matter what renderer I used.

Thanks for the inspiration Nick, I’ll try that out real soon - Might come in handy… :slight_smile:

Oh, and: Great work, of course. I’m really interested to see this guy doing his moves, hehe! :wink:

Here is an update on the Torosaurs neck.

I also built a real shader for the eyes that has refraction. The color map for the eyes still needs to be built.

Hoe everyone enjoys!

NickZ. :slight_smile:tortosaur_heads_n_neck_01.jpg

Attachments

tortosaur_heads_n_neck_01.jpg

Nick, This is one of my favorite character models. I like the friendly expression
on his face. The sculpt and painting are top notch. I keep coming back to him to see where he is going…:smiley:

Dickie

NickZ… Great work! Most impressive.

Questions: a) what is the ultimate goal with this character? Are you creating an animated short?

b) Have you considered publishing your steps, via tutorials or even a “how to” book? (there are many small press publishers dying to get in the 3d media world!). I (we), would love to learn the concepts of your work flow!

And c) Do you have a web page that we can follow your progress?

Thanks for your replays, and again, great work! (Big fan!)

:+1: :+1:

Escorpion ,

Right now this character is a test bed for all of the things that I would like to be doing during work hours but don’t have time to do. I’m thinking this level of detail in a character could be achievable in games in the next 6 years. I would say we are fairly close right now but it would just be a game with one character on the screen. (not a very fun game!)

A. The ultimate goal for this character is to get him detailed, get him bound, get a rig put on him, get facial blend shapes and corrective shapes and get a walk cycle going with him. (I’m not going to do the animation part.)

B. Yes I have, I don’t feel comfortable right now doing that because everything is a learning experience, I think something like that would be possible on the next creature that I do because I have a lot of mistakes or paths that I wouldn’t go through the second time around. (For example, the spot I’m in right now, I would like to totally redo all of my UV’s for better workflow when painting across two different surfaces. I can make what I have work and that would be a huge job, so I’ll just leave it as a “I will know better next time.” If the next rev. of ZBrush lets you have multiple maps on a surface that you can paint on at one time then all that work wouldn’t really matter any way so… I’m hoping that comes through.)

C. I’ll keep posting to this thread and show progress as soon as I have things updated. I do have a web site www.pinwire.com/nickz the concept section should give you a glimpse of what I might decide to build next. The character that I would like to build is second to last on this pagehttp://www.pinwire.com/nickz/LR_Version_3/html/concept_3.html

Thanks for lookin’

NickZ.

F A N T A S T I C

M E R a V I G L I O S O

STUPENDO!!!:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :grimacing: :grimacing:

:grimacing: :grimacing:

hi nickz, great model!
what is a belly mask ??? is that a Bump?

Greetz
Elron

you dont have azscript saved for texturing this? im still having problem understanding how to do it…

Elron,

Thanks for the compliment. The belly mask is a mask that I’m painting for the lighter tan color you see under the neck that will extend down to the belly area.

Volk23,

Sorry but I don’t have a ZScript for painting this guy. I’m only using ZBrush to paint the first level of displacement, (applied as a Blend shape or morph target.) the over all bump for the entire character, and any masks that I will need to use in PhotoShop. If I could paint in layers and have multiple maps per mesh then I wouldn’t need to take these extra steps, but that is a limitation that you just have to work around for now.

Peace,

Nick Z. :stuck_out_tongue: