ZBrushCentral

slimy tentacles / SSS Research and Materials

Thanx bigtime for the quick response and the effort.
Much appreciated.
I hate reinventing the wheel - that is the evolution process. You use each others madness to get ahead - hehe.
OK Seriously now - thanx and I will put the scene through its paces and do some tweaking - let you know if I discover anything worthwhile.
Ciao

Did I mention I had a thing for Cephalopods?

Hope you can do something with the material. At least, it`s not the material, which makes the image. Lighting and geometry and composition is more important…
good luck,

regards,
thomaskl

Thank you for having posted the settag gis of the mat of vray!!

…in Zb with materials and astucious lights ?

ps Your render is some crazzy :sunglasses:

Silly question time…can anything be done or rather rendered in zbrush to this level? If so, someone please explain how?

The images presented here are so so so cool and photo realistic …

How about maybe a Slimy Tentacles Plugin or something :slight_smile: I know we have some brainiacs on the forum that love challenges like that…

I am not as much of a z-purist as I once was, but many of us own limited programs or only zbrush itself, so to achieve work close to this in zbrush alone would be a stupdenous step…

Ideas?

Again, simple but intricate and realistic work…

Ron
catfishmn@aol.com

ps. i dated the girl in the last image…we only went out once…she ate way too much :smiley:

I kind of doubt that you could do it directly, but if you were clever you could probably get it 90% of the way there and paint the last 10% by hand.

Dude, that last one is really freaking disgusting.
I love it.
Looks like my boogers through a microscope…

Now animate them :slight_smile:

9 Hours is crazy, though. You have DOF on right? I bet you could do that in post and drop your render times way down.

~Mike D.

would be quite cool, to get similar results directly out of Zbrush. The SSS Effect is based on blurred refractions and internal fog. I am not sure, if you can fake such an effekt with the Zbrush-onboard Tools. I do remember a wax-material which was posted here some time ago.

Yeah, rendertimes are quite crazy. But faking DOF in post-process never produces a realistic DOF. Especially when lights do burn…So i rather take the longer rendertimes than having unrealistic DOF…:slight_smile:

But i would like to see a nice SSS Effect out of Zbrush…Come on, you Shader-Z-Gurus ! Give it a try !

Best Regards,

Thomas

Its not total SSS, but its the best i can render at this moment !

shadows and fog ar not perfect, but its a start .

jantimtentakels.jpg

didn`t think that you can come this far. Cool !
well, it has the same feeling…Some aspects are still missing but i think this material is a good start !
I am not sure, how far you can go inside Zbrush with the lighting.
Could you please share the material, to get an idea, how you approached ?

Best Regards and thx,

Thomaskl

Let’s go jantim :sunglasses:
9 hours is enormous for a little worm :lol:
Sometime purist challenge can make advance the ZB science :smiley:
Pilou
Ps And who is remembered the Digits Zif Worms thread ? old :roll_eyes:

And new zif Worm version? :wink:
last last release :sunglasses:

Nice slime.:+1:

Jantim - great effort. I’ve learned a lot by reverse engineering your other textures and it would be great to see how you did this.

I bet jantin will make it much better :] Go, go material master :]

Cool, is that rendered in Zbrush?
Patton

Thomaskl…i don’t think it is possible to combine all of the effects of your render(s) in one Zbrush render !
The combination of translucency AND transparency is a real pain to get in Zbrush,…you need layers in this program to get transparency , and in combination with “depht of field” , transluceny and transparency ,with a pinch of self-ilumination is a big trick !
You can get backlighting…but the 2.5 D pixols react not in a texbook way to your settings…the Zbrush universe needs a new Newton to define its laws :wink:

I had been experimenting with a sort of fake sss for some time…the first sss-like material was made, i think, by Jotajota-his alienmaterial-and i used the same "reverse egineering"that Blaine91555 used on my materials , on his material :slight_smile:

you need a material with settings for " inner" & “outer” an some occluded ambient…just do a search on Jotajota to dig up his material !

i posted a collage of older renders that have a bit of sss and screensnapshot
and a material that was not to big to download…its not the material in the renders …these are to big due to the images i used in the channels

and yo need lots of light…and fog to get the best resuls

jantimcan-o-flesh.jpgsss-testing.jpgsettings.jpgvlees red again.zip (397 KB)

Attachments

sss-testing.jpg

Made a small variation on the last material…and used its transparency settings in a two-layer render :

and one with a similar material in blue

jantimworms07.jpgworms-dna.jpgvlees red again-orange.zip (175 KB)

Hey, youre getting closer. Even if you can`t match my Vray-mat exactly, this current material has a class of itself., especially in the second render. In the first rendering, it would just need some Refraction IOR and blurryness and it would be great. But, as i can imagine, Zbrush cannot dirstort refractions…
But quite impressive !
Thanks for your materials. I will take a look at these in the next few days. I have a big job since two days and may not stop animating, because the previs has to be finished by Tuesday next week. (damn, i am tired…)

Thx and best regards,

Thomaskl

Great Jantim, your materials rocks!!! Thank you , I learn by this way ! :smiley:

:+1: Jantim - Thanks so much. I’ve been able to learn a great deal from the materials you have shared.

This is a variation on a skin shader I’ve been working on for a wax look. Done partly by reversing the transcurve and adding a touch of transparency. Also tweaking the lighting. I’ve included the lighting.
The background is Augustine which has been being a BAD VOLCANO lately.

![FAKESSS2.jpg|700x600](upload://rZW6SSjvjbQHHVwN29RS36N5L81.jpeg)waxsss.zip (19.7 KB)