ZBrushCentral

Skylanders SWAP Force Toy Sculpts

Great style, very cool!

A lot of solid work! :+1: All of them are great.

Freat Work!

Thanks guys. Top Row, pretty damn cool!
I will try and answer what I can.

These were made by the character art team here at Vicarious Visions (an Activision|Blizzard company). We were the same team who made the characters in game. This was the first time for us to be making things that would become physical models, so it was a learning experience.

Most of the characters were touched by more than one artist.

Each artist has a slightly different workflow, and we encouraged that. But all of the toys were sculpted in Zbrush. Some of us start in max, others start work just in Zbrush. All of us used dynamesh at some point.

We have a great concept art team, and all of these were drawn first. I think some of the concepts are floating around - hopefully, we will be releasing more soon. The characters did go through a lot of revisions during the sculpting phase that was done just in Zbrush.

We have a 3D printer at the studio, and we print at various parts of the process to check things like scale, proportion and detail levels. Its hard to judge purely digital. It’s a really great experience when you first see your digital model in real life, and so far one that hasn’t gotten old :slight_smile:

There were 16 of the SWAP Force characters that break apart at the waist and swap with each other. That meant testing 256 combinations of toys. We also made 16 characters that were not swappable.

Thanks for the comments and questions.

Thanks for the answers, although they also prompt further questions. :smiley:

For the swap characters, what did you test for? Was the testing done by hand or by machine? (did you run a script that tested each combination simply for geometry interpenetration, or have people look at them to judge whether the combination poses worked?)

When making the 3D prints, did anybody try to sneak an extra copy for themselves, or was it strictly monitored? Personally, I’d’ve tried to “rescue” a rejected revision, or one that was destined for the trash compacter.

Lastly (and I think you knew this one would come sooner or later): How do I get a job doing what you guys do?

Again, thank you for your time, and thanks for showing off these awesome characters!

-Drashi

Fantastic work indeed, every single one is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Impressive design, I love how creative they are, thank you.

Really nice seeing these all together. Really digging the concepts!

you have a nice style :smiley: