ZBrushCentral

Sculpt-o-book | 3D Printing

wow, that’s excellent and just what i’m interested in. thanks for posting this. I hope you don’t mind me asking some questions at some point? :slight_smile: very cool print out too. I’d love to do my own custom stuff to learn from. --atb-- :slight_smile:

@ Marcus: Thanks :slight_smile:
@ TIM-OSULLIVAN: feel free to ask!

Oh excellent, thank-you . I hate to keep bothering folks but since you have a printer, it might help me to ask. I am trying to find out whether I should use extractions for clothing when printing a figure or whether sculpted detail on to the base mesh works just as well? did this model use extraction for the clothing? if so what were the settings if you don’t mind? --many thanks-- :slight_smile:

@ TIM-OSULLIVAN: the best is to minimize the number of SubTool. In my case, I merge everything and create a single DynaMesh. Then I split it and hollowed it.

On this specific model, the clothes has been sculpted directly on the mesh, except some small details, which has been merged at the end.

cheers for that! :slight_smile: very helpful. I wasn’t sure if you could sculpt detail on to the mesh so that’s good. many thanks-- :slight_smile: :+1:

What is important about the details is to increase their volume, I mean the printing process will erode them a little bit, then you need to compensate on sculpting time.

Ok, thankyou for the answers. :slight_smile: --atb–

The proportions are strange, the arms are curved, deformed eyes, but good work! I want a print machine!! :smiley:

Nice job, great print. I’m tempted to get a Form 1 when they’ve solved some of the more common issues, and I’ve saved enough :slight_smile: I’m int he UK and import taxes make it silly money.

@Ivanperezayala: it’s a design I wanted to have in fact :slight_smile:

@fingerpuk: yes, thank you for the taxes which increase a lot the price. But it’s not FormLabs fault on that one…

I keep asking Formlabs to let international dealers resell the printers to make it easier to get one, no joy.

This thread more than anything else I’ve seen has made me consider buying one, you mention needing lots of spares, how many trays have you used? How many prints per tray?

Also would you mind sharing your techniques for how you prepare the model for printing? I’ve not seen many people having great success like this.

Thanks.

I discussed with them about the resellers. Don’t forget that it’s a young company and they still need to send the printers to the kickstarter “pledgers”… then after catch the train with all the printers which have been ordered since the end of the KS campaign…
I’m sure they will create a more “international” business as soon as it will be possible for them. And I’m the first one looking for that since I’m located in France.

For the spares, it depends totally of the type of models you are printing: bigs or small ones. But to be safe, one resin tank per 2 or 3 liters of resin. And it’s better to have one rein tank per type of resin, to be sure to always have the same resin in the same tank.

I started to write a guide to prepare models with ZBrush for the 3D Printing. It will take some time since I do that on my free time, but I’ll definitely provide various information to the ZBrush users. And perhaps it will become an official guide later :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, I’m looking forward to reading that tutorial.

I’m happy to wait, many people seem to be having problems, but this is to be expected. I would like to get somebody to print one of my ZBrush meshes for me before I order though, happy to pay for it. I’ll just have to wait for the machines to be a little more common.

Hi Totyo, I’ve just started using zbrush with the aim of making my own figures, can i just confirm did you use this printer to make that figure, the details very impressive, just what I’m looking for. I don’t suppose you tell me roughly what material were costs where like also?

http://formlabs.com/products/our-printer

awesome character sculpting by the way!

Yes, it’s the Form1 3D Printer from the link you posted that I own and which is able to produce such details.

For this model, the cost is approximatly 51 euros, but you can’t convert the price to dollars since the printer cost as well as resin and IPA are more expensive when you are located in europe (more taxes and shipping is far more expensive…) Then I guess the same print could be approximately $50. If you add the legs (I need to post a photo…), the price would be 75 euros (the height of the print is 32 cms).

If you want, you can read me full review, but it’s in french. Google Translation may help! http://www.polysculpt.com/articles/test-imprimante-3d-form1-formlabs-zbrush/

Thank you! I’ve had a read of your review and it’s helped me decide that is the one I need. I’m a little worried how expensive resin will be to ship to Australia but I think the extra cost will hopefully out way the negatives of other printers like the makerbot replicator x2, which I was going to get but decided the form lab is better for the detail I need. Thanks for clearing that up for me, much appreciated.

If you want to wait a little bit, I should publish the review in english at the end of this week or this week end :slight_smile:

Some recent projects involving ZBrush and 3D Printing. I’m using ZBrush to create my model, but also to prepare it for 3D Printing, by hollowing the models and reduce the cost of material (and printing time), but also doing my custom supports using ZSpheres.

I also printed an old model that I never had the opportunity to have for myself, the Venus head I helped to reconstruct few years ago. Funny to see the Real to virtual through scan, then back to real through 3D Printing! I also did some custom supports for this model:

venus.jpg

Both models printed in 50 microns.

Another project I’m working on is a little french board game to play with my family, inspired by the game “The little Horse” (approximate translation) or more well know in the US under the name “parcheesi”. But I wanted something more unique and thanks to 3D printing, I created the “Little Farm” where each player have 4 unique pieces in each categories: duck, chicken, cow and pig.

Here are some screenshots and photos of the collection. The pieces has been printed in 25 microns on a Form1, then hand painted. I still need to finish some painting since I did it really quickly. The board is in progress, printed on a Replicator 2.
For ZBrush, it has been really easy, everything in DynaMesh, mixing some insert brushes and few brush strokes.

plateau_ferme.jpg

poulets.jpg
vaches.jpg
duck.jpg

Board game is a great idea!