ZBrushCentral

rapid prototyping and zbrush in the arts

Interesting and good work, like others said, well presented. What was the rough cost for some of you smaller and larger prints?

very novel stuff…zcorp prints are usually a drag but they seem to work well with your style.

You should check out these guys…a ton of stuff in the NYC gallery scene has been digial for the better part of the last decade…

http://www.digitalatelier.net/

infact almost everything large scale artists like Kiki Smith and Tom Otterness has been almost all digital for years.

also google the digital stone project…cool stuff there

Awesome Works! :+1:

…recognition :wink:

Psssst…Alan, you are on the top row…:cool:

Forgot to mention this…there is a really cool digital art center on W21st in Manhattan…you might know them…

http://www.eyebeam.org/

Stuff this cool should definitely raise some eyebrows there…they used to have fellowship and grant opportunities…it’s been a springboard for artists who’ve gotten a lot of attention at the Whitney Bienneal and stuff…get in there an it’s an automatic show in the heart of the Chelsea gallery scene…

Really cool stuff…should have qualified above post…meant novel in a cool way…didn’t want to sound like a pedant…lots of people doing digital fine art stuff…but almost NONE of them are doing orginal modelling…almost all of it is exclusively scanned works that are simply squashed or transformed along an axis for effect. Tom Otterness does do some stuff in Maya from what I remember but nothing with the itterative spontenaiety you’ve got going on. Other artists I’ve seen are simply reproducing their ideas from one medium to another like making a digital mold…just IMO…totally lacking the freshness you’ve got here. the place in the above link could make one of your sculptures for you any size you want…if you ever wanted to see them bigger…I worked there for 8 years and they really are ahead of the crowd in terms of a service vendor for artists. This seems to have totally sprung out of your imagination into the real world…not a repro of images we’re all used to seeing. The zcorp prints I think accentuate that…they have a fresh look to them that rocks here but on say, a hyper detailed Wolverine or whatever…would just be a fuzzy mess. Very cool work. Sorry for the long posts…I’m new to the entertainment side of this stuff as of 3 years ago and spent the 10 years prior to that exclusively doing gallery work and public art…great to see someone opening a door between the two worlds that don’t have to be mutally exclusive. Time to blur some artificial lines and get artistst together. As the printing technology becomes more affordable (FINALLY) I think we will see more artists making art objectst with this stuff. There’s a guy named Michael Rees who you might digg…http://www.michaelrees.com/

also some good resources here…grants and stuff for artist using tech…artists, events…tons of stuff…

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/%7Einfoarts/links/wilson.artlinks2.html

Really nice stuff, i really like the style :slight_smile:

Exceptionally gifted work. Inspiring. :wink:

thats pretty awesome! :slight_smile:

thanks Jmenna for all the great information! those site were very cool. I know about eyebeam and would love to do something there and am definatly going to apply. I also have seen Michael Rees’ work before and like it a lot. It’s nice to see artists useing technology as both the tool and the subject.

people asked about the cost:
I made these while at a school. It was the school’s printer and was relatively new. Not many students had taken advantage of it, so I hopped on it and made a million prints. the average cost was 1$ for 1cubic inch, thats the cost of materials. I’m wondering what the going rate is to get something printed? Also I owe some people some money there…

I usually pay about $9 per cubic inch, which seems to be pretty standard from the investigations I’ve done. I’ve found a few cheaper places, but the quality isn’t nearly as good.

Where do you get prints made? What’s a good company?

One of the companys that does 3d printing that Ive heard some good things about it 3darttopart.com. Ive never had anything printed but sent in a model or two for a price quote…which was a bit too much for the size of the model. I believe they said that they base their quotes off the over size of the model and the amount of material that needs to be used. After seeing this thread tho, I must get a model printed! haha.

Thanks, that seems like a nice small company. Does anyone know of any other rapid prototyping companies? I’m very interested in them. Whats the average cost per cubic inch at these places? Are there many companies that do this work? I know of a few but they are not always that easy to find.

I know of a couple others companies, but Ill have to look for them when I get home. The problem I ran into with these other companies is that most of them require your model to be in a .STL format so their prototyping machines can easily split it into layers without conversion. There may be other companies and sites, but 3darttopart only requires a .OBJ file no larger than 10mb (I think). Im working on a model to get printed so when I have it completed with the size I want Ill post what the quoted price is.
Some of the companies that Ive seen dont really say how much it cost per cubic inch, rather they determine the price by size and volume of material in the quote. Id say its safe to say that its $9/cubic inch.
This is from the 3darttopart FAQ section: “in general you can expect a 6in. to 8in. tall model to be in the $40 to $120 range”.

interesting. thanks.

This is the other site I was thinking of;
www.printo3d.com
I believe your model has to be in the .stl format before sending it to them, so I dont think they will convert an .obj file. Looks like that have a little different of a process with the support structures it builds rather than in a box of build powder. Could be interesting tho, especially that interlocking ball bearing they made! :slight_smile:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gnB8vFc123Y

Hmm…maybe in 10 years or so the price on these printers will drop a few thousand of dollars and become just like your everyday in-home lazer printer…now that would be cool!

those are great, keep up the great work.