ZBrushCentral

Proportional Subdivision

Ah, yes, it all suddenly becomes clear now. Thanks, Svengali! :stuck_out_tongue:

Marsyas,

This plugin works great! Does it eliminate the need to set a morph target before subdivision or should that still be manually set?

~S.~

Thank Svengali for the plugin. :slight_smile:

This method of subdividing has nothing to do with morph targets, it simply utilitzes the ‘cage’ button.

The basic steps are:

subdivide with ‘smooth’ turned off
lower subdivision
press ‘cage’
delete higher subdivision
subdivide with smooth turned on

Hi, Marsyas.

I really like your method but I have a question. In the typical approach to Z3 subdivision sculpting you start with a morph target of your low-res mesh. Your technique does not require morph targets. Does this mean that if I choose your method, no morph target is required at all to proceed with my subdivision sculpting? Does your method replace the need for a morph target at all? Just want to be clear.

Thanks!

Hi Snark,

I’m not really sure what you’re refering to. I’ve never seen a need to set a morph target before I subdivide. You can set a morph target whenever you want during your work flow for various reasons. Perhaps you’re refering to a certain workflow someone has mentioned for their particular pipeline.

Hi, Marsyas.

You’re probably right. I’m basically a hobbyist who loves the program but I don’t get to work with it very much. Thanks for the response.

~S.~

Are my choices either proportional subdivision OR crease divide? Or is there a way of getting the benifits of both?

Could these two plugins be integrated into one?

Thanks,
mike

I’d say to just use whichever gives you the results you want. I’m not familiar with crease divide but I know proportional subdivision sometimes gives funny results with sharp corners.

Hi, Marsyas.

Great plugin.

How do I install it? I’m having some trouble. Where should it be installed? Once installed, where (in ZBrush) what palette do I go to in order to find and activate it?

I’ve installed this before with no trouble but now with my new system (I’m using Vista 64) it doesn’t show up in ZBrush at all. What gives?

Thanks!

~S.~

Hi SNARK,

I’m not really sure either actually. I just tried extracting it into my zplugs folder but I don’t see it anywhere in the Z3 interface.

I only subdivide like this occasonally so I just do it manually when I need it. Maybe Svengali can help you.

Any chance this will be available for 3.5R3? As far as the list on the announcement page goes its not included in the Install.

I thought I’d give this a selfish little bump, since i use it a lot in 3.1.:smiley:

Cheers and thanks a lot for your efforts!