ZBrushCentral

Precision Texturing - Part 2

Oops … please ignore. Answered my own question immediately after asking it. Ain’t that always the way?

good work

Ok it is neat , but can’t this be automated with a script ? Like auto size to the 1by 2 pixol res something or another?? It still feels like this is just a bug alltogether… :lol:

Ah this will help a lot (once I get my head around the explanation). Just one question: Do these steps need to be done when painting deformations as well? Or just texturing?

Just texturing. Deformation quality is dependent upon the poly count of the model rather than the model’s UV mapping or texture. In fact, you don’t even have to have UV’d a model yet in order to be able to paint mesh displacements onto it.

The thing that will affect the quality of your geometry deformation projections is the poly count of the model. When your model is dropped to the canvas, it’s in the form of pixols rather than polygons. A single model polygon might have dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of pixols depending on your zoom level when you drop it. BUT you can’t paint a detail that is smaller than the polygons that it will be projected onto.

Thanks, that explained alot =]

hi,
thx for sharing all your knowledge!!!
i’m quite new to zrbush and i just tried it.
am i right that even with a texturesize of 4096x4096 you have to draw your model quite small onto the canvas? i don’t find that too comftable to paint details on specific parts of the mesh. or is there a way to zoom in without changing the size and without getting the canvas pixolated?

btw. : is the texturesize 4096 enough for a hole model ( a full body ) or do you divide your mesh in different parts, lets say torso head arms legs…
in my case it seems that the texture doesen’t have enough resolution ?

If you have a 4096x4096 texture and have to draw your model really small on the mesh in order to achieve the 1-to-1 ratio, then your model needs to be broken up into multiple maps.

Every model is different – both in its construction and how it will appear on camera – so there are no hard and fast rules here. This is something that no amount of tutorials will adequately cover; you need to learn through experience. There are some very good books about texturing, but it will still always come down to your own judgement about the needs of each particular model that you work with. Only experience can let you consistently make the right decisions.

good one :wink:

it seems no matter what i do, i still get a variation in my final result once i leave projection master, all im doing is putting random alphas on the surface and it looks great and crisp in projection master but then once i pick it up, not so good, and the sub division is pretty high, ontop of that i wanted to work just on the abdomins so i thought i would size the whole model a few times is this a bad idea? its either that or work with a fairly mediocre sized model to get the 1 to 1 ratio or whatever so confusing…

Just a thankyou for the explaination. Some years too late but none the less vital. Just love those PM brushes:+1:

Cheerio Chris

1000 thanks aurick, very helpful tutorial !

hi… a noob here.

Does this still apply today with Zbrush 4R6 version? xD Or is there an easier way to do this? I read the main post a few times and still a little confused with certain parts xP I need to apply a 3D mesh as texture using Projection Master