ZBrushCentral

Non-square seamless texture technique?

I’ve been experimenting with 2.5d and wrapmode but I’m struggling to achieve a seamless texture for non-square dimensions.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a technique to achieve something like the reference image

In the reference, the forms seamlessly respect the 1x2 dimension:

Hi @Jiggywatt

Can you show an example of your texture when it is tiled. ie: repeated more than once so we can see how it’s tiling.

I never successfully achieved it but toggled wrapmode between 0, 1, and 2 with various brushes to define the forms around the edges:

I made colored strokes on the left to show the wrapmode tiling (1 for horizontal, 2 for vertical, then unmask only the areas I wanted looped)

result:

result offset:

@Jiggywatt

If you are referring to the visible seams on the edges as being the thing you are trying to get rid of, then there was an inherent problem with tiling textures in ZBrush that always left a 1 pixel padding on the edges resulting in visible seams when tiled. There were some scripts made a while ago that got rid of this problem but I don’t know if they are still around or if they would even work in the current version of ZBrush. I believe the Nano Tile Textures plugin that can be downloaded from the Pixologic Resources page also fixed this problem, but as far as I know the scripts and the plugin have only dealt with square textures and not rectangular textures. @Piggyson (Joseph Drust) developed the plugin so maybe he might have a solution for you or @Spyndel might have something or you can start a conversation with Pixologic Support for answers. Good luck!

1 Like

@zber2 good to know thanks! Yeah it’s all good. I was more curious if there was actually a technique I didn’t know about. The reference seems like it was done in photoshop anyways.

ZBrush users found a cool trick to generate seamless sculpts for 1x1 in case anyone stumbles on this in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1v0sjJH200