ZBrushCentral

Nanomesh Question

I have been trying to preserve the UV from my nanomesh on the mesh after ‘One To Mesh’, is there some way to do this? I always end up with a mesh with no UV, I wanted all of the instances to have the same UV island.

Thx
Rucy

Hey Rucy,

To preserve the UVs on your NanoMeshes you just need to make sure that the surface you are applying the NanoMeshes to has UV coordinates as well. As long as the surface mesh has UVs, when you do the ‘One to Mesh’ or ‘Convert BPR to Geo’ the NanoMesh UVs should hold.

Let me know if that doesn’t solve the issue :slight_smile:

-Joseph

Thank for the reply Joseph.

I gave my surface mesh UV’s and tried again. This time after ‘One To Mesh’ the new geo did have UV’s but they are all messed up and not the same as the UV I applied to the nanomesh (while in edit mesh mode of the nanomesh dialogue) I have tried using both ‘One To Mesh’ and ‘Convert BPR to Geo’ neither seems to preserve the nanomesh UV?

Here is my workflow -

I apply UV’s to the surface geo - using nanomesh brush draw out nanomesh to all polys on surface geo - using nanomesh dialogue I tweak the position of the nano instances - go to edit mesh in nano dialogue - as the nano master is made of 5 meshes I auto groups in polygroups dialogue - I apply UV’s to the nano master, using transpose move I edit the positions of the 5 islands - press edit mesh again to bring back all instances and surface geo - press ‘One To Mesh’ - delete surface geo - left with new mesh from all instances of nanomesh with broken UV’s.

Is there a step I am missing out?

Much thanks
Rucy :slight_smile:

Hey Rucy,

Can you post an image of texture applied to the mesh before and after converting it to geo? Was the NanoMesh or the surface geometry processed with dynamesh or decimation master at all?

-Joseph

Hi

I haven’t used dynamesh or decimation on either of the parts.

I also haven’t actually textured the nano yet, I was trying to get the converted geometry to all sit neatly in the UV layout I set on the nano, then I was planning to make a texture on the nano master and apply it to the converted geometry later. This is a possible work flow right?

The Nano and the surface geo are pretty basic really. I am a little lost at how to move forward.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hey Rucy,

The NanoMesh UVs should still be holding; I sent you a PM.

-Joseph

I’ve been having the same issue. Both the mesh and the nanomesh have UV’s but the Nanomesh UV’s do not hold up once applied to the main mesh. I’m trying to apply thorns to some branches/vines and the thorn UVs disappear once I try to flatten to check them.

It’s a year later and I am still running into this issue. I watch the guy on #AskZbrush do it where both the mesh and the mesh being applied have UVs, but this never works for me. This basically defeats the purpose of having Nanomesh at all. I simply cannot incorporate it into my workflow without it destroying the UVs. Now I’m just trying to use it to make a small pile of repetitive coins so the UVs are definitely needed. Guess I’ll just create them one at a time.

Hope this helps some what