ZBrushCentral

My 3D Sketching Stuff (nudity)

Haha Fanatstic grenade, you should totally model the Spartan Laser instead man, that be wicked!

I don’t update this thread as much as I should. Probably because I don’t get much free time between my full time job, my freelance after hours, and of course Halo 3. :smiley:

Speaking of Halo 3… this is my next personal project. This project will probably take a good while for me to do. I always try to pick something that I haven’t tackled before and hard edged modeling (other than using the masking with inflate technique) is something I rarely get a chance to do. So seeing I’m such a Halo junkie, I figured Master Chief would be a good project.

Well, 5 hours after I started, this helmet is all I have to show for it. I’m picking up speed though as I’m learning a bit more about how to approach heard edge modeling in ZB. But I’d like to get some advice on how others do it too. So if anyone has any advice, I’m all ears. :slight_smile:

Helm1.jpg

I like it :smiley:
though its a little too long O:

Update on MC’s helmet. I’ve just about finished the basic sculpting of the form. I’ll add distressing detail at a later time. I’ll start work on the neck and torso next.

Helm2.jpg

Wow really nice work Christopher!

Well, I think you’ve done about as good of a job as it’s possible to do with ZB’s organic sculpting tools. ZB is fantastic for what it does well, but it’s tools are no substitute for traditional 3D modelling for certain types of complex, mechanically precise objects.

If you want mechanical precision, and perfectly crisp shapes, your best bet is to model the basic form in a traditional modeler, and use ZB to “stamp” in details…or “block out” the subject in ZB as you have done here, then use the topology tools to draw more deliberate and precise geometry over top, with which you can establish smoothing groups and creased edges.

Thanks for the tip, Scott! I figured I’d have to do some objects in a normal modeler. For this one, I was trying to see what results I could get with ZB. I can see that it’s pretty difficult to get perfectly crisp edges with sculpting alone. I may go back to retopo the models and try to clean things up that way as you’ve suggested.

Here’s what I started with.

Helm3.jpg

Super Cool Chris! Totally impressed you’re attempting this guy in zbrush. What are you using for reference? one MINOR crit, feel like the hexagonal indents on his face shield are a bit deep. but I’m just being picky…:wink: look forward to more!

Wort,

Really nice work. Yet another person demonstrates that even hard surfaces can be tackled in zBrush, albeit with excellent results.

I do think that while you captured the helmet’s proportions very accurately, the insets feel just a tad too deep. Just a tad. That’s my only crit right now, though I’m sure a tiny bit of wear would also be nice, but that’s up to you.

Nice helmet, KrakenCMT.

As for those with hard surface issues, why? Ralf Stumpf has been doing detailed hard edges forever in Zbrush. Many people have done space craft, cars, weapons, what is the issue? I designed several sets for a tv series in Zbrush and the spacecraft. (no I can’t show them yet), it works wonderfully.

Even Zspheres can be used, I have scene a lot of great robots, combat suits, etc., done this way.

I have never been able to willingly utilize box modelling. Points, then NURBS and then along came Zbrush, even at Version 1.5 I started to move away from NURBS and I was doing complete characters as well as craft/cars/etc…

Long ago with BlitzStudio, we had a polysphere. You pushed and pulled into the shape of a car, Klingon Bird of Prey, whatever. Then worked in the edges and detail. It was slow, painful, but back then oh so exciting! :wink:

Try and try yet again… :wink:

Thanks, guys!

With the new tools in 3.5, I’ll hopefully be finishing Master Chief up sooner than expected (whenever I have the time to get back to him).

While shopping for freelance work, I whipped up this guy for a company I was hitting up. Spent a little over an hour on him. Quite fun to do a simple character like this! I guess it helped that I used to draw Garfield back in elementary school! :slight_smile:

ZBC_THUMB.jpg
[attach=158383]Garfield1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=158384]Garfield2.jpg[/attach]
[attach=158385]Garfield3.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

GF.jpg

Garfield1.jpg

Garfield2.jpg

Garfield3.jpg

that is so good, and cute and right, plain and simple :slight_smile:

lol…very nice!

:+1:

Nicely done…garfield that is

mmmm, lasagne!! Nice one mate.

Good fun!:+1:

Love to see simple animated characters brought to life in this forum.

Cool!

Brings back memorys! Great job! :smiley:

This is the start of a portrait of the Wicked Witch of the West I’m working on. Here’s where I’m at so far. I’ve gotta give her some teeth next :slight_smile: Then I’ll work on the hat and clothes. Still deciding on whether to use Lightwave fiber effects for the hair, or sculpt it and use GoZ to bring it into Modo (don’t have 4.01 yet, so no hair effects there).

Witch3.jpg

Attachments

Witch2.jpg