ZBrushCentral

Modo 201 out in MAY

Modo can’t do animation… they plan to integrate that in the next version, unleast that is what they said in the siggraph vid.

I have decided to start learning to model in XSI rather than Modo. However that was because XSI’s toolkit seemed pretty similar, except it can do so much more at the same time. But what I want to know is, is Modo 201’s toolkit going to be the same? Has there been a massive revamp in the way tools are used? Should I wait till Modo201 comes out and learn to model with that or stick with XsI?

Original message:“What can Modo do so much more than XSI?”

Sorry didn’t read that right… I agree XSI does have more functionality… However, it’s a deep app which requires time getting used to. And most of the things can be done in various ways. Which does not really help the already confused noob hahaha.

Lemo

PS:It’s benefitial to try other modelers as one becomes exposed to nurbs and other animals.

Its just that my experience with Modo so far has been such a nice, simple, efficient workflow. I’ve yet to try XSI’s so am not sure which to dedicate my time to. Lemonnado, which program do you prefer more? And if XSI, does Modo 201’s improved toolset change that opinion?

Oh and I’ve already been learning basic NURBS for awhile with Solidworks, mainly for my Engineering degree.

Is it delayed as may is almost over ?

It is coming out in the next few days. Brad Peebler of Luxology has placed a thread regarding the exact day and time within May and will give a free copy away for the person guessing it right. I registered my bet early… just to find that I was looking at the PC calendar which was set to next year… needless to say that my bet falls onto a sunday this year… sighhhhhh So I am out of that race… But it will come out ‘any time’. I bet their website is pounded by re-loads.

Regarding modeling… Modo 103 is not stable enough for me to waste my time with it. I tried it out, it has work flow merrits but it falls over quite a few times. Specially when you are not used to Modo yet and click around a fair amount. I heard it get’s better once you are a tad better conditioned to the quirks. XSI is rock solid by comparison.

Long story short. I have quite a few modelers… and… I use all of them. None can do everything and each has outstanding unique features. XSI and animation, Modo and subd modeling, Wings with its ‘select similar’ function, Silo with it’s topology brush (which often works…), Hexagon with a bit of everything. I don’t own Rhino 3d yet… But I used the demo quite a few times… Probably something for Christmas 8-)))))). Ohhhh… ZBRUSHHHHHH of course. Which is totaly unique…

Get used to as many as possible, they are similar enough that you quickly get the hang of it and you start to see the values of the individual progs and become more efficient. You can do everythng in any of the apps when it comes to modeling, but each gives you unique advantages regarding certain areas.

Gotta run…
Cheers
Lemo

:smiley: Sweet I placed my bet…

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=6912

Hope nobody took it :lol:

@lemonnado:

Concerning the overflow in proggies (and on a not that hot day like…:)!):
don’t you think that it is a bit “distracting” to switch from app to app?
Aside from the financial issue - maybe you miss (not exactly you in person, but users in general) some vital features or insights by using full blown apps as utilities?

Example?
Well, “… and because of the complexity of 3D in Z2 I only use the 2.5D features in that proggie. For the rest I use notepad!”.
A bit overaccentuated, ok - but how would you read this statement?

Only asking because I checked my toolbox lately, throwing out each doublette. Felt very bad for some days, got a block (hell, I had only ONE program of a kind to deal with - IMPOSSIBLE to work!), but now this (my) insanity is gone, and I find the quarrel with some proggies is quite a positive and motivating experience. Because?
Because you tend to win, if you try hard enough.

Well, it is a topic which depends on the way you work and how much time you have for the task at hand and how you plan to accomplish your goal. But besides the functional contents also the packaging of the manufacturers forces yu to diversification in your 3d tool portfolio. I had to buy C4D as companion to XSI as the hair solution on XSI would cost me 6000$ (you gotta be kidding)… So… Exchange of the model and processing in C4D with hair… And so goes the list on… But I agree on one thing, that you should focus on the core of one app as a jack in all trades and master of none is not going to be able to produce top results. But if you are master of one and jack of a few, then you can accept quite a few challenges…
Lemo

Just so you guys know, Modo201 has just been released a few hours ago. Now the time has come to see whether it can really be better than XSI’s modelling or not =]

:cry: No demo yet… really want to try it out… though the price seems really high for “just a modeller” ok a renderer now too :slight_smile: but only usefull for stills

The renderer really looks fantastic. I still need to find someone with the prog so I can ask them how different the tools are from Modo 103.

I downloaded the copy… and I am not happy on my MAC. I’ll write a bit more once I have more details and when I tried it on my Big PC. Right now I put 201 next to 103 on my shelv of instable 3D apps from Heck. But again, issues might be resolved quickly as experience is ZERO right now. But it’s already making me upset when a MAC software doesn’t install without errors or Quits without any trace while loading a demo model and does not die when you do just the same again. The thrid party Photoshop APP doesn’t run at all. But there might be limitations I have not seen yet as the Handbook has to be found yet… Inconsistent behavior was the reason I gave 103 up in favor of modeler in which you can work 10 hours straight and no failure occured…
For now there is not much Joy on the MAC side… GAHHH Can’t shake the 103 paranoia…

Lemo

Well, on my PC it runs like a greased monkey… Not a single crash and I render the 15th demo scene. Great results. Must be my ancient Mac…