ZBrushCentral

Minty's Sketchbook

Perfect likeness of Clint. Excellent. Can’t wait for more.

:+1:

Cheers for the comments guys. Trying to get to grips with modelling the hair:

[attach=216116]clint1b.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

clint1b.jpg

Just painting in some rough eyes to see how they will shape up:

headWIP4.jpg

Looks really good Minty,your skills are moving along really well.I just left you PM…
cal

I’ve never really attempted to use normal maps in Maya before. I would like to really go to town on this model and eventually use SSS etc (although whenever I have tried this the models either look like black plastic or wax lol ). This is a test of the model I have so far normal mapped and rendered in Maya.

Any pointers in the direction of a good skin shader tutorial for Maya will of course be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

normTEST.jpg

Looks like he’s about to cry, not like he’s mean.

i am always want 2 b like that … :frowning:

nice sculpting man …

Cheers :smiley:

Another small update to the model so far.

I’ve adjusted a few things including the shape of the eyes, the bridge of the nose (it was too wide) and the mouth. I’ve been playing about with normal maps trying to get them to work in Maya (hopefully I’ve got that sorted now :smiley: ) and I’m aiming to make a decent render with this model in Maya.

I still have to learn how to create hair in Maya and if anyone has any links to some decent Maya hair tutorials (Maya 2009) it would be really helpful.

Cheers guys. :smiley:

painted2.jpg

Looking good pal,sorry cant help!You mentioned the eyes on my last thing…I made them in 2d then brought them into zb via lightbox and polypainted them on a sphere and stuck them in the head as subtools.

good job man:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Definitely a good likeness to Clint Howard…j/k:lol:

You nailed Clint EAstwood spot on…look forward to seeing a colorized version.

5*

ron

Cheers guys. Getting to grips with Maya hair today and it seems to be coming together nicely (they could be last famous words lol ). Still not sure whether to go for ‘cowboy’, ‘Dirty Harry’ or portrait studio shot for the final render. :smiley:

Great work on Mr. East.
Don’t you just LOVE the Clay Buildup brush? :slight_smile: I’d smooth it out and take a look at slash2 and some snake hook action (very subtle!) for the hair. That could work.

Cheers!

Yep, there are some really lovely brushes to play with in ZBrush. Thank’s for the hair tip, I may give that a go with my next sculpt. As for now, I’m having a go at using hair in Maya. I’ve never tried it before and so I thought this little project would be a good excuse to do so. This is a quick screen grab from Maya to show what I’ve done so far and what I’m waffling on about. (No lights in the scene and the texture is just a rough polypaint so far).

Cheers again. :smiley:

hairGRAB.jpg

Hello all,

Another day another update. I’ve been trying to use hair in Maya for the first time and this is what I have so far. Still lots of tweaking to do to the model. There are a couple of little things I want to change regarding the face (including giving him some eyebrows!) , the clothes are nowhere near done (as you can tell from the very quickly painted in jacket lol) but the fella is getting there :smiley:

Cheers for dropping by. :smiley:

wipAGAIN.jpg

Hello all,

Another quick update. This is the skin shader I am working on in Maya. I have never been able to get any decent results from the fast skin shader before (it all seemed to daunting with all those nodes poking out everywhere!) and I’m pretty pleased with the way this attempt is turning out.

Fingers crossed that it all comes together in the end lol.

Cheers and have a great weekend :smiley:

skinSHADERwip.jpg

Great work Minty, there’s a nice fast skin shader tutorial on the gnomonworkshop freebies section. That’s how i got to learn the basics of it.
I see you’ve jumped to maya now, cool.

Cheers Handlebar, good to hear from you mate. :smiley:

The biggest problem I am facing now is getting the hair to work in Maya. I am trying to render paint effects hair in mental ray (Maya 2009). The problem is it’s glowing and makes the hair look like a wig made out of fibre optics. Now this is all very nice and arty farty, but not really the realistic look I was hoping to achieve (please see the attached jpeg to understand what I am waffling on about).

I’m sure it must be something I need to check or uncheck. If anyone has any ideas AT ALL please let me know and you could be doing your bit to help this poor, unfortunate soul keep what little hair he has left on his own head!

hair_problemo.jpg

Hello all,

I would have liked to have had more free time to work on this sculpt but University assignments and lectures are getting in the way of me having fun lol!

I made the base mesh in Maya, ZBrush for the sculpting, texturing and rendering, Photoshop for postwork. I got so fed up with Maya Hair that I decided to render it with ZBrush.

Cheers, have a good day :smiley:

zbpractice3.jpg