ZBrushCentral

Mecha-Lisk WIP

great workflow and detail !!:+1:

Wow man. Awesome! Especially awesome considering the low spec hardware you’re working with.

I watched Eat3d hard surface 2, but havent taken a stab at any hard surface in ZB yet. Seeing stuff like this really makes me want to though!

Really awesome workflow! Thank you for sharing :smiley:

this encourages me to start with hard surface modelling in zbursh
really nice work and maintaining of polycount

@ Gary Komar - Thanks man, I’m a fan of your work. Think I started messing with the insert mesh brush more after seeing one of your posts. :+1:

@ FatherO - Thanks, glad you found it inspiring. Get to stabbin that hard surface! Love seeing other hs work on these forums.

@ nitrox721 @ KPtoons - Glad you guys found the workflow useful.

Mr.Spooky (your name here fits you well, considering how ‘spooky’ you work i.e. such clean models-:D). You know, read through your tips and it seems there is no way around it, retopo is the way to go (seen other artists work almost in a similar fashion-as you point out). Can’t wait for QRemesher. Many, many, many thanks for taking the time out to do the tute. Looking forward to the final render. Best, Dragon.

Love your hard surface work here Mr. Spooky. I’m thinking of getting one of the Mike Jensen Hard Surface CD’s. Would you recommend one of them over the other if someone were just planning to get one of the two?

Ezra

Hey guys, it’s been a while. Haven’t opened zbrush in several months and I didn’t want to forget what I’ve learned, so I started a new project with a similar theme to my last. A little zergling mech-head with a little poly-paint.

Mecha-Ling_Head.jpg

Wow, stunning work. Great use of HS on biological subjects.
Can’t wait to see what you’ll post next :smiley:

-haz3y

quite an epic robo machine! nice hard surface technique! thanks for sharing!

Thanks haz3y & SammehSAMURAI, glad you like it.

Got quite a bit done over the weekend. Had most of the design done so it was just a matter of some quick meshes and detailing/poly-painting.
Once again, 100% zbrush 4r4, haven’t had a chance to upgrade to 4r5, looking forward to playing with that panel function though. Un-decimated the model is currently @ 4.7m polys.
Just a quick BPR.

Mecha-Ling.jpg

The color scheme is inspired by Day[9], a Starcraft caster.
Claws were a bit tricky. I noticed in game they run by digging their claws in the ground, which didn’t sit well with me, so I modified them a bit.
I may or may not add the wing upgrades, haven’t decided.

wow! really nice stuff

great hard surface work. really clean modeling. congarts:+1:

Cool work. :wink:

VERY strong work! Love to see additional poses if you get a chance–?

Thanks for all the kind comments.
@ kevphil : I’ll probably mess with more poses in the near future, but for now I’ve just been messing with colors and a couple modifications.

Tried the wings out to see how they’d look. Not sure if I like em just yet. Also messed around with Team Liquid’s color scheme and logo. One of the many professional Starcraft teams out there.

Side_View.jpg
wing_test[liquid].jpg

Here’s a few turn table’s of the models.

[youtubehd]jRRKgXhn_v4[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]ZyBGCHy05oM[/youtubehd]

Dude I can’t believe that’s all zbrush. Incrdible hard surface work.
I would realy love to know how you did that.

Dynamesh and booleans?

very clean hard surface , perfect

@Thoanga - Actually didn’t use dynamesh a whole lot. The tail is a fairly simple low res IMM brush. The limbs are all made up of primitives and zbrush retopologized pieces. There are a few dynamesh pieces on the head and torso.

And… I’m making it sound like it was all easy, which it wasn’t! Making the design and functionality of it is the hardest, most time consuming part. I think I remade some of the joint designs 2 or 3 times.

@ LVXIFER - Thanks I’m a big fan of your work :slight_smile:

This is seriously awesome! You should make some Terran to with these!