ZBrushCentral

MattSkinny's Zbrush Studies: Fantastic Heads

Great work, really like all of them.

Cheers,
Brian

Nice sculpts! Is it just me or does the last one (lizard looking guy) look like Shaun White?

There is still a dozen characters to show, and I want to keep some of my favorite ones till last, but for now, here are some sketches, more are attached. More polished (and better) work is coming later today

That’s true! :slight_smile: and thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

schla1.jpgschla2.jpgschla4.jpgschla-detail.jpgblack2.jpgaish1.jpgaish13.jpgcrowx.jpgcrowy.jpgpon1.jpgpon5.jpgtrolley1.jpg

I would like to ask how to make such realistic hair? Hope to give a detailed tutorial . Thank you very much!!

troll12.jpgtroll9.jpgtroll3.jpgdog6.jpgdog3.jpgdog1.jpgdog-seite.jpgdefil2.jpgdefil-seite.jpgdefil-detail.jpg

Your sculpts and Fibremesh are awesome.

How do you get you hair and eyebrows to look so good.

Could you share your Fibremesh workflow with us.

Great work.

Thank you so much, I have been enjoying your work too for quite a while!
As to my technique regarding Fibermesh:
Its not so much about a workflow with brushes, as it is about the
settings before generating the fibers, and keeping their form
intact by using the move brush rather than the groombrushes,
except for the magnet. I rarely use the same settings twice, or
save them, I tweak till i find something I’m happy with.

And to be perfectly honest, right now I don’t want to reveal all
my secrets. I hope I’m not being too much of a dick, but I worked
really long and hard on the hair-problem, and anything short of a
real video tutorial would feel inadequate to me. Sharing my exact
settings would just mean that a lot of people would have the same
hair, and I dont want that.
Still, maybe Ill do that video in the future, but don’t hold your breath,
right now I want to do more quick, crazy sketches, without much
detail, but with quick hair, before moving on to full figures,
which are wip. And at some point, every one of those suckers will
be polypainted, filled with a Skinmaterial and lighted with
lightcap, but I’ll have to learn some stuff there too.
I’ll keep it ZBrush only. I thought quite a bit about personality
traits, which helped to give character to the sculpt, and I’ll
write about them too, then.

Someone I know wants a black-and-white coffe-table book, which is
ridiculous, because these are only studies, but I’ll do that, and
share that too, maybe even the pdf, when I’m done. Two opposing
pages per character, like shown.

Btw, I only have a bamboo for 50 euro, not an Intuous or Cintiq.
I’m really curious to experience Zbrush with a more sensitive
tablet. Seeing my images in this context, I realize that the earlier
renders work better, in part because the document-to-head ratio is
bigger. That way, the forms read better, and all the shortcomings
of the detailing pass are not as noticeable. I recommend to zoom
out with Ctrl-Mousewheel, to see more of every head.
Thanks
6335593_orig.jpg6721113_orig.jpg

Hey MattSkinny

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand trade secrets and all.

Good luck with you Zbrush journey.

Can’t wait to see you coffee book.

Thanks for your understanding. At SOME Point in the Future, I’ll say more, in this thread, but right now, the newness of it all is just to big, you know?
And before the book there are 11 characters still to come

paul3.jpgpaul4.jpgpaul5.jpgpriest5.jpgpriest9.jpgpriest10.jpgpriest-oben.jpgpriest-hinten.jpgsoldat10.jpgsoldat9.jpgsoldat12.jpgsoldat-seite.jpg

cenk6.jpgpali1.jpgteethy9.jpgorc-sketch5.jpgpali4.jpgzucch.jpgteethy5.jpgteethy4.jpgpali6.jpg

trold4.jpgtrold2.jpgtrold5.jpgtrold7.jpg

Here’s the last group of my personal bust studies from 2012. The second head is after the comic “Batman & Dracula - Red Rain”.
Next time I do something like this, I’ll post less pictures, maybe one main image and another one with different views of the character, so as not to flood my thread like this. And I’ll try to post sculpts in chronological order, not as random as here.

nos1.jpgnos4.jpgnos3.jpgvamp2.jpgvamp1.jpgvamp3.jpgteuf6.jpgteuf7.jpgteuf11.jpgsaw7.jpgsaw2.jpgsaw6.jpg

In the coming days, I’ll put up this ebook, maybe today.
Also, after an “intersketcho”, should I make bodies for some or all of these characters, oder polypaint, light and render the busts? What would you advice or like to see?
1_hurt3.jpg2_hurt7.jpg3_hurt2.jpg

Wow i have never seen this thread before, just watched the 3 pages, and i’ve to say that i’m pretty impressed by some models, very interesting job, i love the way you work with fibermesh. and there’s a lot of character in the study faces.
Congratulation. :+1:

Thanks so much! Glad you like it. Personally, I like the characters on page 1 best.
But I thought it a good idea to include my weaker work too, because I wanted do give an honest overview of what I got done this year, to myself too.

So people I know wanted a printable black-and-white compilation of the head studies from this thread, where they are in color.
The ebook is meant to be viewed with facing pages, Acrobat Reader should show it correctly.
Its about 90 pages.

I did that, and I thought I’d share the PDF with the ZBrush Community…
I’m also attaching the first pages as a preview.

http://www.filedropper.com/matthiasduerrvcifantasticheads1a.jpg1b.jpg2a.jpg2b.jpg3a.jpg3b.jpg3c.jpg3d.jpg4a.jpg4b.jpg5a.jpg5b.jpg

Just Wo0w
3 pages of fantastic character with more fantastic fibermesh . I can’t wait for your next pages.
In my opinion more realistic form of anatomy with this kind of super fibermesh you do, act like a bullet in head. I’m sure we will see your works at ZBC top row gallery so so0n. b:Dd

Downloaded 3 times , and each time acrobat show that msg = "there was an error opening this document. This file is damaged and could not be repaired.

That’s strange, I just downloaded it and opened it with the latest version of the acrobat reader. Foxit works too, so I suspect that your connection might be unsteady, which can result in this kind of problem while downloading large pdfs.
Had the same thing with a wlan once, half the pdfs I downloaded were corrupt.
But I can reupload it later.
Does anyone else have that problem?