ZBrushCentral

Jurassic World Toy Sculpts

great!~

…and realisation!:sunglasses:

Would you have the kindness of explaining how you made the discs and posts with a little more detail?
Also, did you hollow them out before printing?

Sure. The ‘discs’ for the legs and body as well as the posts were created with simple Zbrush Primitive cylinders. I then turned them into Dynamesh meshes so that I could use Zbrush’s subtract dynamesh feature to establish the holes in the body of the dino. Before creating the holes though I made sure to duplicate the post geometry and enlarge them slightly so that I could use them as ‘cutters’ for the subtractive boolean process. The larger holes allow the posts to fit comfortably in place without binding.

Regarding hollowing out or ‘shelling’ the toys: Hasbro’s internal team of CAD people do this step insuring that it’s super precise. Zbrush can do shelling too but in this case it was a step better left up to them because they ultimately decide the final size of the toy and therefore can gauge how many millimeters the shell will be (typically 2mm). Also, some of these sculpts were used at different sizes. So, doing the shelling process at one size with a 2mm thickness would work for one size but probably will not work for another size should the scale of the dino be sized up or down as the walls of the toy may be too thin or thick. Additionally, there are some mechanical features, screw holes, glue flaps etc that need to be used with these toys so those features were left to the CAD folks as well. There’s a lot of work that goes into producing the simplest toys sometimes that we never really consider…but it all has to be done to bring those toys to life. :slight_smile:

Very cool stuff. Went to the Toy r Us website and purchased a few. Love the oversize elements to make them more playful looking.