ZBrushCentral

Hobo WIP

Good man! :D:+1:

EDIT:

Just seen Brett’s hobo (or the start of it), very impressive.

The nice things about hobos, is that there is variety and anatomy at the same time.

I think everyone should make one. The world needs more hobos!! :smiley:

But seriously, I think it’s a great exercise.

hobo skillet

[attach=147411]mini_847.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

mini_847.jpg

:lol:

guess that hobo must be on a train somewhere, cause i’m not seeing him here.:lol:

The hobo is on a train coming back from Hoboken after visiting family for the 4th. They gave him a can of beans and a scrap of bread for the ride home. :smiley:

Here is the same head from earlier, with much tweaking. I deleted the higher subdivisions and starting working again from about subd 2 to rework the proportions and the details. I know I should start a new head, but I wanted to work this one a bit more.

Would like to have more geometry in the neck area, obviously, which would keep me from having to go higher in subdivisions to really smooth it out. Actually, if I view the model with Quick turned off, and ramp up the smooth in Display properties, it’s fine at lower subdivision levels, but of course the ZBrush display is usually set to “Quick”, and I think most people post their images at that quality.

The first pic is at subd level 5, at around 440k. The second pic has subd 1 at 1800, and subd 4 at 115k. I will start a new head very soon… but I hope this one is starting to show a bit of promise.

Head070909.jpg

Attachments

Head001 copy.jpg

Certainly improving:+1:

looking better. eyelids could be a little thicker. kinda looks like tim robbins.
first off, isn’t there a lot of unused polys at the base? did you delete those?
about the neck, normally i’d say add an edgeloop but the geo is so screwy there that i say either do a quick retop or go to your lowest subd, move the geo up into the neck and do a reproject higher subd.
lastly if he’s going to be clothed eveythign below the collarbone can be deleted.
would like to see a sketch of the hobo or a blocking out of the figure and clothing.

It’s a bust, Spaceboy. This is not the hobo. This is just practice. I don’t plan to retopo or anything, I just wanted to work on getting the features better. It’s not a masterpiece, or something I think it close to perfect. I’m moving on. Maybe I shouldn’t have these entries in the hobo thread (hmm). I haven’t gotten anywhere on the hobo project since day one, no sketch, no blocking. But thanks for staying interested.

thanks for the um, correction.
good luck.

Hello Slosh,

nice practice run fella.

base mesh topology is always a bastard to learn.

The number of times I created a base mesh, then spend hours working my way up to the higher levels of sub div, only to realise I don’t have enough polygons!!

Matching muscle flow is the key really.

Fancy some night time reading?

This is a great thread all about topology flow:
http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907

I’m serious, this is a great thread.

OK so it goes over the top a bit, but my own base mesh topology has improved because of reading this.

Stick with it, about page two you’ll suddenly go “OH OF COURSE!!!”