ZBrushCentral

Graphics tablets for ZBrush

Thank you so much lesergei !
reading your post I understood I had drivers not up to date that came with the tablet.
I downloaded new drivers from Huion site and voila !! the tablet is working great !

merci pour ton aide lesergei.

reul.

Because of this threat i got one recently. Loved it. I wonder about which shotcuts did u assigned to 8 buttons?

Mine: CTRL+Z, Q (Draw), W (Move), E (Sketch), B (Brushes), Shift, Alt, CTRL

Last 3 are most useful ones.

Hello,

I did not set up the keys to ZBrush, I also use drawing software, so I opted for more generic keys. I still hope that the programmers at Huion, will like Wacom tablets, which offer the possibility to save more preferences models, so you can change the configuration depending on the software.

Our granddaughter is 13, a young artist, and she wants zbrush for Christmas, for high school next year, along with a tablet. I told her Dad if they got ZB, then I’d get her the tablet.

We’ve narrowed it down to 2 of the Huions (absolutely not giving a 13-yo hardware the price of a Wacom), and I’d like some opinions on it.

This one is wireless, but the active area is 9 x 6: http://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/graphic-tablets/huion-dwh69.html

This one is not wireless, but the active area is 10 x 6.25: http://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/graphic-tablets/1060-plus.html

My question is: Is wireless worth giving up an inch of active area when you’re considering someone this age? Would the dexterity of a younger person be better off having an extra inch of drawing space?

Thank you.

Hi DeeDecker

In short: if wireless is priority then I’d chose the DWH69 (obviously).
If not then I’d go with another model: the h610 Pro instead of the 1060 Pro+ (see explenation below)
(while the difference in size between these models is more or less negligible, if she prefers a larger active area then the wired tablets have the advantage)

In a few more words :wink:
Here’s what I’d take into consideration (although I don’t own either of these two models, I have an h610 pro that’s a wired 10" x 6.25"):

1. Size:
    Does your granddaughter draw on paper? If she’s used to drawing on large sheets of paper (like twice ledger size or bigger) making wide strokes with her arm then a larger tablet might be better suited for her.

If she scribbles small, detailed drawings in a notebook then a smaller tablet might be preferable.

(Before I bought my tablet I’ve had many engineer friends tell me that a really tiny tablet is better than a large one because you don’t need to move your hand as much to reach the corners of the screen. As I’m familiar with both artistic drawing and engeneer work I fortunately had a hunch that for sculpting in zbrush I needed a tablet that would permit more artistic work with long wide strokes made with the whole arm (in stark contrast to clicking in precise places as engineers tend to do).

1. Buttons (not really important):
    The wireless one has touch-pads instead of physical buttons and only has 8 of them versus 12 on the wired tablet.
    Touch-pads are more prone to be activated unintentionally but that’s a minor thing. Especially as (in my opinion) buttons integrated in the tablet are more or less useless. Since she’ll be using keyboard shortcuts a lot it just won’t be practical to use the tablet buttons.

2. Cable:
    Wireless has the advantage in that there’s obviously no cable to clutter the workspace. If she likes to move things around her desk or doesn’t sit still :smiley: then wireless could be advantageous.

The disadvantage might be that the tablet battery needs charging - probably once a day or two if amazon reviewers are to be believed - and there’s always a risk that with time the battery life will diminish. If I understand correctly you can work in wired mode as well though.
(The pen will need charging as well in both tablets but it has fantastic battery life - I think I charge it around every two months and I use my tablet professionally)

The cable might also interfere with her keyboard. I use a huion h610pro and its cable is plugged on the top left sticking out to the left horizontally. I also use a small wireless keyboard that sits to the left of the tablet just below the cable. It’s a comfortable setup but I sometimes wish my tablet was wireless so that when I move stuff around my desk the cable wouldn’t bend on the keyboard.
The 1060 Pro+ has the cable socket in the middle of the left border. For me this would be a deal breaker and I’d recommend the h610 Pro - the only difference between the two being the cable placement, button layout (not important to me) and sd card slot (the 1060 pro+ has an sd card slot which i wouldn’t use anyway)

1. Keyboard:
    Does she use a laptop or a desktop computer? If it’s the latter then she’ll already have a separate keyboard to use in conjunction with the tablet.
    If it’s the former though then I’d also look into buying her a separete keyboard, here’s why:
    If she puts the tablet between her and the laptop then her right hand will be drawing stuff on the tablet that’s close to her and her left hand will need to rest on the keyboard more or less constantly (especially in zbrush) and if the keyboard is further away from her then she’ll be in a pretty uncomfortable position that’s also bad for her back etc.

I she needs a keyboard then I can recommend this logitech keyboard that’s wireless (I can move it around freely) and small but comfortable (doesn’t take too much space alongside the tablet and my hands aren’t uncomfortably far apart).
Logitech k810: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluetooth-Illuminated-Keyboard-Smartphones/dp/B0099SMFVQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447320589&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+wireless+k810 I’m super happy with it (but bear in mind that the computer needs bluetooth connectivity)
(and there’s a mac variant: Logitech k811: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluetooth-Easy-Switch-Keyboard-iPhone/dp/B0099SMFP2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447320589&sr=1-2&keywords=logitech+wireless+k810&pebp=1447323441413&perid=00ASSNA0YQCGWS66K8GR )

voila, my two cents
good luck with the gift

PS: Two things I’d add about the Huion tablets in general:
1.make sure you install it in the right order - don’t plug in the tablet before installing the driver. At best download the latest driver from huion website and don’t bother with the one included on the cd as it will probably be out of date.

1. don’t get discouraged if you get a faulty tablet - the first one they sent me was faulty and once we managed to make sure it was the hardware’s fault they sent me a replacement asap (I talked to Huion even though I ordered through a 3rd party retailer in France and I didn’t even need to send the faulty tablet back to them!) So in my experience what they lack in quality control they make up in customer service :lol:

I’m really happy with the purchase because it has absolutely professional specs and the build quality is excellent + I didn’t spend a fortune on it.

Hello Deedeker,

I quite agree with RafalZ. But I would add this. I have a H610pro, so wired, but with an extension I’m quite free to move.

I find it very practical as 16 shortcuts in the top of the tablet. For the problem of wire and keyboard, I bought a notebook stand, a cheap model in a store that does not sell expensive … (search CNL_3000 CONNECTLAND). This makes drawing easier as when drawing on a drawing table, especially as the back of the shelf is raised, the thread is no longer in conflict with the keyboard.

I work every day with my tablet and I do not regret my purchase. The only thing that bugs me, I have point out in one of my earlier messages, unable to save multiple configurations, and to change the program without having to reconfigure the keys.

I think a granddaughter will be happy this year, and a proud grandfather of his participation in this event.

Bonne chance or good luck :slight_smile:

Thank you both so much for this information! She’s got a laptop with a mouse for it, so I’ll find her a cord extension, lesergei, if we find she needs it. I’m thinking she’ll always be at the kitchen table with it though, like she is when she’s using her laptop, so maybe she, too, won’t need an extra keyboard.

Yes, she draws on paper a lot, but her sketch book that she always has with her is a smaller one, so she draws on a lot of different sizes. At home and here at our house, she always has a larger sketch pad than she carries everywhere else though, so considering that, I suppose the larger one would be better. She also has watercolor and pastel paper for her easel, and those are larger sheets.

Now that you’ve explained it, RafalZ, I’m afraid that a touchpad on the tablet might frustrate a younger person that’s just starting out with this medium. After all, her touchpad is disabled b/c it frustrated her a lot when they got the laptop for her last year. Since you mentioned the possibility of faults, I think I’ll take it out of the box and test it on my own computer before wrapping it up.

I looked up the photos 1060 Plus (different model that uses a different driver from the pro and the pro+), and as you pointed out about the pro+, it also has the cable socket in the middle, so I think we might as well get the H610Pro you mentioned. I know the pain of cables being placed in odd areas with my own peripherals!

Thank you both again! Now I have some extra considerations to talk to my husband about when he gets home this evening.

Hello,

First, sorry I assumed you were a man, so a grandfather.:confused:

I spoke a USB extension cable, because sometimes I like to settle in my big chair to draw and that far off from my computer, otherwise I do not think this is necessary. By the way, here are three suggestions very nice drawings software, Manga Studio, basic version not too expensive, Krita, free and very powerful and Mischief free and paid version.

The pleasure was for me.

DeeDecker

Since you mentioned the possibility of faults, I think I’ll take it out of the box and test it on my own computer before wrapping it up.

Just be sure to follow their installation procedure to the letter (I’m repeating myself, I know). Hopefully you’ll have a smoother experience.

good luck and Grandmas rule!

Yes. A USB extension is what I was referring to. We’ll see if she needs it first though.

It’s okay. I’ve found the majority of these sites have male members instead of female–though you’re liable to see my granddaughter here when she’s older. Right now, her Internet activity is strictly supervised since this is all too often the age where they get into trouble before they know it’s trouble, and I doubt my son would allow her on a forum no matter what the subject.

Thank you for the software recommendations! Manga/Anime characters are a lot of what she draws along with fashion design and animals–especially ours and her dogs along with the wildlife she gets photos of here. I’ll have her Daddy look into those as well. She specifically asked for Zbrush for some reason though.

Hi,

She specifically asked for Zbrush for some reason though.

It’s simple to understand, ZBrush is the coolest software. Come back, tell us your choice.

Hi guys! Red this thread, bought a Huion 610 tablet (normal, not profi) and pluged it in…windows 7, Zbrush 4R7…tablet works fine, can calibrate it a little bit via software installed and so on…BUT!!

biggest problem for me: when in Zbrush, trying to tap and grab rectangular selection (or anything of this sort of work) the rectangular shows up, i drag but the moment I stop moving the pen, the selection disappears and hell breaks loose…immidiately after the stop, the pen starts clicking for no reason (i have not pulled the pen up a bit or taped it
) and starts to destroy my progress so far by activating other fuctions by its action of clicking.

…old(and small) wacom tablet doesn´t do this issue(it has it´s own problems instead) so is it me, the tablet, or the Zbrush? Any Help Please? Thanks

Cerberos

Hi Cerberos
which driver version are you using?

I had the same problem with a 610 Pro on Windows 10 around July last year.
The problem occured with specific drivers and depending whether the TabletPC option was on or off:

-on drivers 11.0.7 and older if TabletPC is ON then the bug appears
-on drivers 11.0.7 and older if TabletPC is OFF then it’s OK
-on drivers 12.2.12 and newer the bug appears whether TabletPC is ON or OFF

My suggestion would be to try 11.0.7 and turn off TabletPC.
Otherwise contact them on tumblr or try the email on their site. From my experience they do respond and do their best to solve your problem.

good luck

Hello, RafalZ

Thank you for your suggestion…I tried couple of things and found out, that my physical presure plays a key role, because when I don´t push the pen as hard towards the tablet, it is working ok, but have no idea why does it matter…will try those drivers as well, but I am having(acording to my computer super skills) a 8.33.30.0 driver from 2014 apparentaly and tablet pc off and still have to pay attention to the pesure…but I guess it is manageabel

:smiley: damn right it was those drivers…now that I think about it it is kind of obvious…got 11.0.7 drivers and I´m back baby…thank you Rafalz, everyhting is now a OK

Hi,
I’m new to sculpting, but just bought ZBrush Core. Since I saw some videos regarding graphic tablets I’m very interested in to get one.

So, looking for information I found Wacom and Huion (and there are maybe others too…). I know, Wacom is very expensive, - and saw already some youtube-videos regarding Huion.

But what is your experience? Which is better - Wacom or Huion? Are there some major issues with one of them?

Thanks for any information in advance!!

Best regards :D:+1:

Hello baltam65

Couple of things to consider here: 1. Do you plan to be a hobby sculptor, or do you plan to be more serious about Zbrush?
2. What is your budget?
Huion is sort of cheap but for my hobby sculpting totally suficient. It´s also quite big, which is a feature you want your tablet to have. Wacom might be more sophisticated, delicate, precise, but I have tried both, and (except some troubles with huion mentioned above) they´re quite similar(with huion significantly cheaper). Btw if you would have some coins to spare i would consider this: http://www.parkablogs.com/content/which-pen-display-graphic-tablet-buy-2015
Those display tablets are some serious temptation :slight_smile:

Hi Cerberos,

thanks for your answer.

I’m a hobbiest and use ZBrush Core and other 3D-Programs for hobby only (of course I hope, that it will become more than a hobby one time…).

My budget is not fix - when necessary, I will save up money for a 3D-Tool, however - regarding tablets and my intention to use it as a hobby primarily my budget is app. 600-700 Eur. max for now.

Meanwhile I’ve read some postings in some forums regarding this issue. However, Huion is much cheaper compared to prices for tools made by Wacom. But in return, the quality of hardware seems not to be the best one. And there occured some times problems with the driver…well, after figuring out, what a kind of tablet I will use, (tablets or pen displays) I decided to go with Wacom first with tablets.

However, if you have got any better idea, it would be interesting to hear from you :slight_smile: (fx another brand)

Thanks & best regards,
baltam65

The XP-Pen Deco 01 line is very good for a beginner if you get a big enough size. The XP-Pen line is my favorite tablet-without-display but they are a bit out of budget. They offer plenty of room to grow with full tilt support, different styluses, and customizable key maps for the buttons up and down the sides. If you plan on using it much it may well be worth it to shell out early for a tablet that will last you a long time rather than buying small and then upgrading later. You are going to have to make that call for your self.

Outside of product selection I am super excited for you! Nothing changed my design life in quite the same way as the addition of a tablet to my set up!

I have a Trust graphics tablet that I’ve, had for a few years, but stopped using it when I started running into issues with my system hanging during POST, so I disconnected it, and now with zb2018 release, i decided to give it another go, but I misplaced the usb cable, and can’t remember where i put it, lol.

I’ve looked at wacom’s screen tablets, and they look very impressive, but also very expensive, though i did discover the Huion kamvas gt221, and that looks good too, and it’s litterally 1/4 the price of wacom’s equivalent, so i’ll Have to look into that if i can’t find that cable or the driver disk.

Hello guys,

sharing my experience with Huion h610 pro v2 with zbrush 2018.1
noticing interesting issue:
my middle mouse button assigned to the pen key and when I use zoom in/out with alt I see some slight lag. so it might not always repro , but 2/3 times out of 10 what is very annoying. Under lag I mean registration of key combination: alt+middle mouse button on the pen might be after second or two… I try to rotate / zoom etc object , and it happens with delay what is very annoying.
I had old wacom intuos 2 before - i didn’t notice this issue at all.
basically now I’m trying to avoid pen key press while zooming/rotating the object, but very strange behavior.

in touch with huion support guys, but no progress so far.