ZBrushCentral

Gampi

Really great work Ralf, the eyes are amazing

Simply Excellent!
Lemo

Really great work. I like the little extra specularity to give teh ipression of a amphibious skin as well. 5 Stars

Wayne…

Ralf, Your really coming along on this little guy. The eyes are great! Are you going to add an SS Shader around the ears? I’m excited to see the whole family :smiley: . Keep posting your updates.

oh yes:+1:

Wow. This is great. How did you setup your shader in the last render you posted? I can see that you used the SSS skin shader in Maya because the ears are showing some “blood”. I might be wrong.

I have been playing around with the MISSS_Fast_Skin shader for a while now, but I cannot get mental ray to render out both displacement and bump maps at the same time while achieving a believable result. There is some scale/size issue with mental ray. Mental ray likes models to be scaled up when you apply displacement maps and likes them to be scaled down when applying bump maps. At least this was the case when I did a gazillion test on my model.

Maybe my approach is way off. In ZBrush, I usually get a displacement map from my model when it is in its 4th or 5th subdivision level. Then I get a bump map from my model when it is in the 6 or 7th level. Is this right?

When I go to Maya I setup Mental Ray using the approximation editor, then apply all the texture, specular, bump, and displacement maps and render.

Please help me. Any suggestion on a better workflow? Anyone please…

Thanks,

Takroony

odhinn: Thanks, I’m glad you like it

Lemonnado: Thanks as always

DarthWayne: Thanks, but I’m not really satisfied with the quality of the
forest Gampi yet

hyper1: Yes, it’s the sss_fast_skin_shader in Maya/MR.
Great shader but not easy to use for me

Abyssis: Thank you

Takroony: Welcome. With the scale issue in MR is this only with the sss_shader?
Maybe you forgot to set the Alpha Gain and the Alpha Offset in your file texture.
Take a look at the great ZBrush to Maya Guide from Scott Spencer
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=030420

Ralf Stumpf

I remodel the head. This time I make a separate bump map for the details.
I plan to model the whole character, so it’s only a test. Any advice are welcome.

Cheers

Ralf Stumpf

Gampi#6.jpg

That did the job quite well. The second 2 look much better. Great model!:+1:

Nice! I think they are both valid models and I can;t tell which one could be ‘better’. But I’d say that the new one looks younger. Not so ‘bumby’ yet 8-).
:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:
Lemo

I’m really liking this…very cool character, Ralf. Really nice details too.
-tiktok

I’ve been so involved in this SSS-shaders stuff, that i hardly had a chance to enjoy the work of others:( …damm, those productive and creative guy’s like you Ralf !..i think we should have two toprows :idea:
That forest Gampi seems to have interbred with Gollum…he looks a bit like the early Weta-models,… before they made him look more humanoid !..and your early Gampi looked more humanoid, but seems to have transformed to a more animal/froglike being in his forest-incarnation…are you planning to model your character on animal or more on humanoid characteristics ?
Great shaderwork in Maya…what is your opinion of the render-engine of messiah …i was thinking of buying it for its animation but they seem to have a great studio-version with a impressive render-engine…and SSS-shader, i believe !

jantim

5 stars enough said! oh and Really looking forward for this process!

Wow, if the system can put 10 stars…you’d get 10 from me. Excellent stuff!! :+1: :+1:

Thanks for comments.

New rendertest of the forest Gampi with Maya/MR.
Hope you like it.

Cheers

Ralf Stumpf

fGampi#5.jpg

wonderful! i love the hairs on the neck:D

Fantastic! :slight_smile: Has a bit of Gollum’s nasty attitude.

Nice render :wink: 5 star for me :wink:

Hi Ralf, I can’t get Karloff’s voice out of my head saying: ‘But the GRINCH,…’. Really great face of another kind from you. 50.

Ralf,
These characters are really developing well! I hope that you can ultimatly do some sort of story with them. I like the wrinkles and skin texture of the left hand head over the right. However, I like the right hand chin more than the left. Over all I like the whole lot. Maybe just different personalities from a group. Hope you keep these little guys coming!