ZBrushCentral

Feather Challenge

Hey guys did we run out of wind that fast on this challenge?

well i think you got some fine submissions already, iā€™m kinda confused as to what else you want, you want one that actually has the barbules?
you havent said if youā€™re animating your bird or for a still image, nor how detailed and closeup it will be on the feathers.
Why not post what you have made, it might help give people more direction.
Also you havenā€™t commented on Cannedmushrooms idea about using PaintFx, is that viable for you?
Slocik made a very usable feather as well.
confused:confused:

spaceboy412,

I suppose your reply is warrented if not right on the nose. I feel slocik hammered the challenge so well as to scare of the other ideas.

cannedmushroomā€™s Solution is very simple as well and yields an appropriate result for fast efficient feathers.

What I had in my mind is a way much like slociks, but has an arch in the center.

If you lay down a contour feather on the table you will see the arch in the center, as well as a curve to the left or the right ast various degrees, according to which ever side the feather is on and what particular feather it id away from the central feathers. If you were to animate a feathers much like the one seen spinning in Forrest Gumps opening sequence you will find it is much different than those seen here so far.

To create a thin more waxlike smooth zbrush varient would be nice to see.
Its too bad Zbrush doesnt have a (vector line mask tool) that would be soooo sweet and solve many problems.

Thank you again for the comments and work. As for me Im stuck in paper hell for about 2 months and will not be able to produce much as my entire lab is being reconfigured and fine tuned.

Hear Hear on the vector line mask tool.
The line tool under the 2.5D tools is amazing, And would be an great tool in 3D brush world.
Now if only sombody at pixologic would see it as useful and put down the preverbal donut for a sec, to take notes so our childrenā€™s childrens might see it in Zbrush 4.0 weā€™ll be all set.

MH7, you do realize you can just take slociks model and turn it into what you are talking about, not to mention all the other feathers you need. Using move, transpose, brushes etc.

spaceboy412,

I do realize that and I understand that the solution is very simple, I am proud of slocikā€™s model and respect the time and effeort everyone has put in.

Does anyone know the names of the modelers for Lord of the Rings, I know the list is huge, but there must be some way of finding out ā€” the eagle workflow as well as several other movies I have seen featuring feathers and flight.

I believe that ZBrush can and does offer a stand alone solution for many modeling aspects. I am just excited to see what envelopes can be pushed and eceeded, and which remain outside of Zā€™s power.

Perhaps this is a threshold that may be of interest to the developers of the next ZBrush version.

hey MH7 you should check this out:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=450368#post450368

spaceboy412,

Thanks alot for the heads up, Iā€™ll pm him to see if heā€™s interested.

Iā€™ve been working on a sparrow and have yet to impart a feathered texture to the little fellow. I mean texture in the sculptural sense, not the ZBrush sense. I came up with this system for making feathers and I hope to use the results to grab Alphas for my little bird. I made a quill, appended it to a vane and used an Alpha I drew in PaintShop Pro to impart the texture in Projection Master. This thread and others proved very helpful.
Thanks,
Katherine Dewey

Attachments

4Feathers.jpg

Iā€™m trying to figure out how to use fibermesh to make feathers. Then use the insert curve brush to lay them down in the correct order. The theory is sound, but the outcome hasnā€™t been successful. I should be possible. I think. tell me if it works.