ZBrushCentral

Etcher_Sketcher

love the anatomy study:+1:

Hi all! Thank you so much for the nice comments! :+1: !

Moni-Poroni: thank you so much for the nice comment! You’re right: it is a lot of work. It takes quite a lot of time to gather the right reference materials (artistic and medical), and even with the best reference, it’s hard to get a good mental image of how the muscles are placed: it takes more time to compare the various sources than to sculpt. It’s a shame I never got the opportunity to dissect human bodies.
Regarding my future projects: always the same problem: too little time. I’ve got sketches for 10-15 characters and 5 or 6 busts that I want to sculpt. But when? I want to do this anatomy stuff as well.
And, by “where’s that sketchbook thread?”, I do mean: where’s your sketchbook. You did great on the contest and I (and some others) wanna see the your steps!

Threetails: thank you so much for checking out the update, and the great comment. Thank you also for offering me help, cause I’m gonna need it when I start dialing in the detail on my models (man, those Wiiko hands, the head,… no, the entire sculpt!) :+1: !

Jbuck: thanks for the encouragement: definitely keeps me goin’. Many great artists at Zbrush Central inspired me to do these studies: Ryan Kingslien, Zack Petroc, Alex Oliver, Scott Spencer, Scott Eaton, Nick Zuccarello, Arran Lewis, … . Did you see how an accomplished artist like threetails used this method to build up his Witiko sculpt (superhero contest)?Also, check out the works of Intervain (speedy models) PSTCHOARTand anguyen: they really keep me humble and with both feet on the ground! And many more (but there’s too much info on ZBC, I still haven’t seen everything).

fabianloing: thank you so much for visiting my thread, and the great comment! Every piece you post on ZBC is an inspiration to me! You’re giving me an extra energy boost! Thanks a lot!

ISK-86: Thanks for stopping by, and the comment! Motivates me! Oh yeah, you are gonna’ do so well: you’re just 22 and on the right program and forum, check out my reply to jbuck: absorb the info on those threads and test it out on your Protoss warrior!

definitely_maybe: it is an honour to have you check out my sculpt, so glad you like it. I hope I will be able to apply my anatomy studies in my character work like you are (man! That hullk sculpt!) You just put the pressure on me! :slight_smile:

Karthik.AL: hey man! Thanks for stopping by! The anatomy stuff is much needed to improve my understanding of the human body, can’t wait to try it on out some crazy doodles & stuff (like your great sculpts!)

cool studies, good luck, this is the kind of thing which is never finished ^^’:wink:

wow, the last image post with half man/anatomy is really great :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1: Very inspirational!

jocz: Thank you for the nice comment. Rest assured jocz, I will finish this, even if it takes me an eternity… :smiley: !

SolidSnakexxx: Thanks again for checking out my progress, I’m glad you like it: gives me courage to go on! :+1: !

Here’s the next update:

Etcher_Sketcher_Theatrum_Anatomicum_Post_003

CWCID: the worx of many artists on ZBC made it clear to me that anatomical studies are crucial if you want to improve your sculpting or drawing skills:Ryan Kingslien, Zack Petroc, Alex Oliver, Scott Spencer, Scott Eaton, Nick Zuccarello, Arran Lewis, … . Did you see how an accomplished artist like threetails used this method to build up his Witiko sculpt (superhero contest)?Also, check out the works of Intervain (speedy models) PSTCHOARTand anguyen: they really keep me humble and with both feet on the ground! And many more (but there’s too much info on ZBC, I still haven’t seen everything, so: please let me now which threads I am missing!). I owe a lot as well to anatomytools.com (Freedom Of Teach): I purchased Andrew Cawre’s Human Anatomy Male V3. It helps me a lot.

I modeled the skull in C4D It is still very low poly and has little detail, but I couldnt resist to post.

Post_45

Low detail!?! This looks amazing! I love the eye and nose area and overall smoothness of the muscles. Are you planning on adding fat and and veins? If you do either I would make them separate subtools.

Wow. Very nice updates. I have to say this is a very impressive study. I don’t know about anyone else, but this will make great reference for me :+1:

womball: Thank you so much for visiting my thread and the nice comment! :+1: ! Regarding the low detail, I was referring to the skull rather than the muscles, will post some pics later to clarify! I am planning to add fat, veins and polypaint, but I don’t know how long it’s gonna take me cause there’s so much work left on the muscles and bones… :cry: !

Captain Sensible: Thank you for the nicest comment ever! Made my day :smiley: ! But then again, you upped the pressure, cause if you’re gonna use it as reference, I’d better double and triple check my sources… :smiley: !

Captain, too bad you didn’t make the top 10… that’s what I hate about contests, eventually, “someone” has to make a rather limited selection… :cry: ! Nitrate is so cool! (Will never forget the “hands” post, awesome!) :slight_smile: !

Wow. Very nice updates.I have not done anatomy study like this but after seeing ur work i will also start anatomy study :D.

Karthik.AL: Thank you so much for the nice comment, altough I suspect that you don’t really need to study anatomy :smiley: ! :+1: !

Captain Sensible: I think I need to clarify a bit on what I said about the “hands post”: At contest time I was goin’ back and forth between my head sculpt and a hand sculpt I’m working on, so I’m pretty focused on hands as well, so a gloved hand holding a gun might not be special to you, but it is a big deal to me!!!

I viewed your thread again. And I have new questions for you :slight_smile: :
Have you made everything by yourself? The skull? And the teeth? Is it all Zbrush work? And how did you manage to model over the holes in the skull (jaw-joint area) Sorry ! I´m curious as always. :slight_smile:

Thanks man! Although I didn’t see her as top 10. She felt very half-done as I had to rush things.

Yeah, hands are pretty damn important. Often completely overlooked. Nice to hear you are doing a study of that too. Hopefully you will share :+1:

Moni-Poroni: I’m glad you asked, cause I’m very proud of that skull! I modeled it myself from scratch in C4D (simple polymodeling, could be done in any modeling program). But I put so much time in building the mesh completely out of quads, with holes from the mouth to the nose etc. I subdivided it once, and then put in some finer holes (in the eye cavities and bottom). Next I exported the model to Zbrush for sculpting. Subd levels are still relatively low as is the detail: when I was modeling and sculpting it I was still working on a low spec laptop without tablet (all done with mouse pad). My reference came from several medical and artistic anatomy books, as well as a plastic cast from a real skull. If you have more questions, just ask!

Captain Sensible: will post the hands but… so little time … . BTW if you feel Nitrate is half done, please finish her, she’s your baby after all :+1: !

Etcher_Sketcher_Theatrum_Anatomicum_Post_004

Post_53a
Post_53b

You should be proud of that skull. Really nice! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Now that’s a proper skull!! Very nicely done :+1:

P.S. don’t worry I plan to revisit Nitrate again soon.

Great update! I love this WIP pics!
I really like threads like yours because you show so much of your workflow.
Thanks for sharing!
And thanks for answering my questions. :slight_smile:
But there´s still one thing I´d like to know–
How did you make the muscles? And the nose?
I saw your pics on the first page (how you´ve made the details)…
but I´m talking about the muscles and the nose generally…
:question: :slight_smile:

damn. this is really impressive! :+1:

Like the other says, nice job on the skull :+1:

Good job.

Chris.

Cool skull man!!! nice details…:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

SolidSnakexxx: thank you so much for dropping by and the great comment; it really keeps me going! :+1: !

Captain Sensible: thanks man! I’m already lookin’ forward to the Nitrate update!

Moni-Poroni: Thanks for the nice comment. So many great artists share their techniques on ZBC, I learn so much from them. This is why I am gladly sharing my workflow: I owe ZBC and the people that show interest in my work at least that much. So, thanks again, Moni!

wethand: Thank you for checking out my worx, I’m glad you like it! See ya later, man! :+1: !

betaone: Hi there! thanks for the nice comment! :slight_smile: !

definitely_maybe: Thanks for revisiting my thread, I’m glad you like the skull, (cause something tells me you got a sharp eye! :slight_smile: ) Again, I really love the worx on your new website, www.ashwin3d.com. :+1: !

Etcher_Sketcher_Theatrum_Anatomicum_Post_005: “Reverse Anatomy Sculpt of a Classic Sculpt”

CWCID: the worx of many artists on ZBC made it clear to me that anatomical studies are crucial if you want to improve your sculpting or drawing skills:Ryan Kingslien, Zack Petroc, Alex Oliver, Scott Spencer, Scott Eaton, Nick Zuccarello, Arran Lewis, … . Did you see how an accomplished artist like threetails used this method to build up his Witiko sculpt (superhero contest)?Also, check out the works of Intervain (speedy models) PSTCHOARTand anguyen: they really keep me humble and with both feet on the ground! And many more (but there’s too much info on ZBC, I still haven’t seen everything, so: please let me now which threads I am missing!). I owe a lot as well to anatomytools.com (Freedom Of Teach): I purchased Andrew Cawre’s Human Anatomy Male V3. It helps me a lot.

So, Moni, you asked about the nose and the muscles, I’ll explain how I did those, but I’ll give you a quick overview of how I tackled the entire sculpt. Keep in mind though that this “reverse anatomy sculpt” is not a good way to study anatomy imo. When you want to study anatomy, start with a skull, sculpt muscles on top of that and add skin last. That’s the way I study anatomy (see CWCID).

I’m doing this “Reverse Anatomy Sculpt of a Classic Sculpt” because I never saw it somewhere else before (Take note: I don’t mean anatomy sculpts, I mean “reverse” anatomy sculpts of existing pieces / if someone has seen this before, please let me know!) I think it would be good reference and study material for artists/students, if you have acces to the original sculpt or plaster cast (which I have). I’m gonna have the reverse sculpts printed out when they are finished, so I can put them next to the original.

Post_60a
Post_60b