ZBrushCentral

Dirge: new anim, Zbrush/Maya/Photoshop/AFX

this is pretty cool alex! really love the breathing cycle on him and the atmosphere is quite outwordly , would it be possible o post some closeups on that environment?
awesome work!

Great work Alex, as always.

Very impressive to see an anim in that size. I look forward to see a tiny in depth few of the production of this piece.

Again thanks for sharing :+1:

awesome work! I’m always checking out your blog for reference and inspiration when it comes to creature/humanoid designs. Would be awesome if you could post some WIP images from zbrush to the final mental ray render passes…if possible :+1:? :-1: ? :sunglasses:

Alex… as always fantastic.

A beautiful piece…and I got to see it from beginning to end :slight_smile:
/bow!

Great stuff, love the eerie mood :+1: -> keep on experimenting :sunglasses: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: !

besides the work being supercool (and with all that stuff around, with modeling, sculpting, texturing, rigging animating and rendering i can easily believe it was a huge work!..5 stars for me), words like these, coming from a worldwide-known artist like you get all my respect and admiration and additional 10 stars for the great humilty:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I’ll preface this by saying I normally enjoy your work, and this piece certainly has its merits. However (and this may be a pet peeve of mine) I find animation for animation’s sake a tad pedestrian. I’m not sure what the point of an infinite loop animation is- especially with such an obvious intro transition. Is this for a website to be played in the background? I’m not sure I really get the point. If it was just an experiment to tool around with the new animation features in zbrush then I’ll stop trying to figure out the point of it :slight_smile:

As far as the character design itself goes, I want to like it, but it feels unfinished… maybe the ropy nature of the sculpt? lack of material breakup or contrast? I can’t put my finger on it, but it doesn’t jump out at me as being super creative… not that you have to be super creative all of the time, but anything that lands on the top row is subject to crits of this nature as I’m sure you can appreciate.

As far as the animation goes, a lot of the movements seem timed together and not really offset at all, indicating a lack of effort… Although I saw these same type of animations with Pixolator’s Z4 teaser video back when he posted it, so I’m not sure if it’s a limitation of ZBrush’s animation capabilities or not (I must confess that I have not tried them). The breathing feels a bit awkward, like a rubber doll being inflated and deflated. I would have liked to see something more natural looking- like the occasional irregular breathing, or a deep breath now and then… maybe smelling the air, something like that. We don’t really think about how breathing looks because we just do it automatically, but there is a lot of subtlety that cannot be overlooked or the illusion is broken.

I tend to agree with what has been said about the busy composition, but you have given valid reasons for doing it the way you did. Maybe some depth of field and environmental effects (such as rolling smoke or haze) that temporarily blots out the background and creates an interesting (albeit moving) composition? Not sure exactly how I would have done it different, but it seems like there would be some other options out there to explore- especially with a lot of moving noise in the foreground (such as the flies and whatnot).

We’re all just artists trying to get better, so I hope you accept my comments in that spirit. Good luck, and keep up the hard work! :+1:

weakly for gnomon

OMG good very very nice!!!:grimacing:
:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Huge !
Anotehr great Creature from you Alex ! You are still in the game !

You made this all by yourself?! It looks so…complete! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Its cool! A lot of hard work you put there!
But to be honest…2min. of this guy just breathing and doing nothing ?
Make it 30sec., it will be bether!

Wow very happy to see new stuff from you again, complex and fantastic! :slight_smile: :+1:

knowing that you did all this yourself sets a new standard and meaning to the term “character art hobbies”… Amazing Alex! This is a whole new level of character presentation, even if it is just a short clip of it just breathing and doing some slight movements and gestures, as if he was just part of a character selection screen in a game…

Beautiful atmosphere !
I like the movie and the mood…looks like an intro for a video game…Very nice!

Wow…This is incredible…
I have been around here in Zbrush Central for some time now and i have
to say that IMO, this is the best i have ever seen posted here…
Pixolator doesn’t count. :wink: Just kidding…

You have been my inspiration to the 3d world for a long time…
I purchase every video tutorial that i can afford from you
@ www.thegnomonworkshop.com . You have brought me a long way.
Therefore it is awesome to see you here in the Zbrush Community!

I’m still debating with myself, whether or not I should post a reply here, but since it somehow made it to the top row, it’s there to be commented on, right?

I’d simplify it real quick: Neat Zbrush Animation! Is that what it is?

Boo Yah!!! Fine work!!!

As others have said it could have used a touch of color variation, and I personally would have ended with a leering closeup frame-filing headshot to spotlight some surface texture.

Congrats on a bullet-speed toprow!

Aww, I was hoping that this cute guy will go destroy a couple of worlds any second now… I was disappointed. Good modeling and render though, great job!