ZBrushCentral

Bretts Sketchbook 2.0

This is so dang great Brett. I know sometime artists pump up the detail in their sculpts, anticipating the SSS will soften things a little bit. Do you find that to be the case here? It’s really beautiful man.

Great work Brett and congrats on TRow. Did you end up using HD Geo on this?

this is really impressive. Alway when i see a toprow work i think it can not be beaten. But then…
i am speechless.

Wow! Outstanding attention to detail Brett! :+1:

Thanks for answering my question. I would also love to know how you go about baking displacement. Do you just use the standard displacement bake in ZBrush or do you use vector displacement? Or did you paint the displacement in MARI? I always have a difficult time trying to get accurate displacement to show up in my renders.

Phenomenal !! Impressive !

Thanks for the kind words guys. Sorry for not responding to questions sooner. Been busy :).

zero389: I’m not sure what reddish reflection you are referring to?

pointpusher: Hey thanks Danny! The arnold sss shader I’m using has a direct sss calculation.
So it calculates all the pores and wrinkles. The older methods use a quadratic type calculation, where it only calculates the mass object as a whole. So often you will find that your wrinkles etc will get washed.

K-O-S: Nope! But I still can. If I add a body to this model I’ll definitely be using HD geo to sculpt. Because this head is concept off and nothing was locked down it went through a LOT of iterations. Because of this I had to reuv my model. If you change the uv in the model or topo your HD geo will be lost.

JudeMarv: For this head its all zbrush :-). Some guys are using Mari now with textures from texture.xyz now which I hope to try out soon.
I just use the multimap exporter. Normal displacement. I’ve never tried vector, I should one day.
I usually export a displacement map from a subdiv higher than what I export my model as . So if I export my model at level 1 or 2. I make a DM at level 2 or 3.

My settings are:

Adaptive on. DPSubpix 1. Smooth UV on. 3 Channels on. exr on. scale 1. intensity 0. Mid 0. Subdiv depends on you.

Hope this helps.

When it comes to sculpting the detail I have some simple alphas I made and I use the dam standard, elastic, inflate, clay tubes, and standard brush. I’m not sure how to explain this part of the process as it differs from head to head. I have no set workflow, I try keep it a bit organic. Keeping in mind the age, gravity etc. While the textured approach from mari is a great start I find the detail still needs more work in zbrush. Because the texture doesnt know what gravity is. Some parts need to be higher others lower to get the variation over the surface. Otherwise it looks like its all inflated at the same level. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again guys :-).

Amazing work!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Amazing, Nrett, those eyes…It lives

I love the concept and execution. Well done!

Amazing!

I wondering if you know about this?

http://www.animationworlds.com/makingof-male-realistic-character/

Thanks again guys. Really appreciate it. Still working on this :).

dokido: Yea some friends let me know about it. Not sure if its malicious intent but its not cool to share artwork and not mention the artist. Thanks for letting me know. Apparently this guy does it all the time.

Really impressive work.

What about the hair shader ? How do you achieve this great grey and white color of the hair ?

Hey Lunar,

The hair shader is the alHair for arnold in maya.

Hello Bret, i use this is this shader too, but what kind of map do you use to have this diversify effect in the color ?

Hi lunar,

I didn’t use any maps. I just adjusted some variables in the advanced section, Like hue, tangent etc.

So here is a wip of Sophie. Very early stages and I probably won’t be able to do much more on her for the remainder of the year.
There is still a lot of fixing and tweaking to do before I’m happy with her, but thought I would share this as people have been asking me how to apply a displacement map made in Mari.
This is what I worked out here on my own. If there is a better way and quicker approach I’d like to hear about it.

I apologise if this mini tut doesnt help or is lame. I’m a bit useless at these tut things.

Thanks for looking.
Brett

Attachments

Hey There Brett.

You said in one post: "I usually export a displacement map from a subdiv higher than what I export my model as . So if I export my model at level 1 or 2. I make a DM at level 2 or 3. " Could you explain why you export from a higher subdivision level?

I’ve had my eye on your work for a while now BTW. Great stuff:)

i’ll say it again… i love her. she looks so good.

-r

beautiful…breakdown shader please:D