ZBrushCentral

Blur Studio : Farcry 3 Cinematic - Character Art

Wow, i am blown away ! fantastic work!

Stunning work Alessandro, did you make all those characters?

Duuuude. These characters look amazing! The life in the faces with the asymmetry and imperfections is really top notch. The clothing and accessories work is flawless too. Congrats on a fine piece of work!!

I’d love to be part of something like this in my future! :wink:

Jesse

Incredible work…you have some kind of dream team in your character artist deparment…keep making this kind of post when possible!!

cheers!

Good, good work guys, but make sure the review some of the anatomy of nostril on certain character.

i mean do you have 2 holes floating like that … first image …Bhahahahaha !!!

Outstanding, the work that comes out of Blur is one of the reasons I aspire to be a character artist. I also have a few questions that I would like to ask too. It doesn’t really matter who answers them, thanks.

1. What is the typical poly count for the base mesh of a character before it goes into Zbrush vs. the final character after retopology?

2. What are some of the brush that the character artist use on their characters?

3. And this is one that I’ve been curious about when dealing with video game characters vs. cinematic. Is the whole body used once the body is completed? Meaning do you get rid of the torso if the character has a shirt or the legs if they have pants?

1. AMAZING! Stunning work!

2. How do you do the skin pore texture?

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome :+1:

Beautiful models,
You are inspiring artists!

nice new models From Blur Artists!Always great to see new Works From you guys!:+1:

Totally mind blowing. I want to play

The faces look phenomenal, although to me they look a tad unrealistic. You could improve them by giving them a bit more asymmetry and tertiary form. A few subtle tweaks could make them look very realistic.

Great work, and please post more. I’d love to get to this skill level someday.

hey guys,

thanks for all your kind words. i’m really glad you liked our work and i know the other guys were really happy that we got such a nice response. :slight_smile:

in the future, if the client allows it, we will try to share our character sample stills more often.

thanks again,
-j

there were a few questions i’ll try to answer:

@nielot007

ale answered most of your other questions but you asked
-Did you make rig setup for heads or only blendshapes/morphs ? or maybe you mixed it and using blendshapes and facial rig ( if i say facial rig i mean some simple rig nothing fancy)

we have a few ways to do facial animation, on this show we used morph targets / facial shapes. i’m not a rigger but i believe that they mix a pretty fancy facial rig with our morph targets. for example the animator can dial in the eye brow up shape for surprise but they also have controls to maybe exaggerate it further or tweak its position.

@sam10bw

1. What is the typical poly count for the base mesh of a character before it goes into Zbrush vs. the final character after retopology?
    we generally avoid retopologization if possible. it’s slow and our schedules are tight and we avoid it if possible. usually we try to have pretty decent topology before we zbrush. having this decent topo early also lets us pass it off to rigging and animation early. poly counts aren’t really relevant for us, i guess just an amount that is reasonable, say less than 500k usually.

2. What are some of the brush that the character artist use on their characters?
as far as i know we don’t use anything fancy - clay tubes, standard, move/move topo, inflate, and some dam standard.
occasionally we have to do a creature and we might use the fancy scale brushes etc. we use a bunch of alphas most of which you can download off zbrush site. in general i don’t think we are doing anything too fancy in zb.

3. And this is one that I’ve been curious about when dealing with video game characters vs. cinematic. Is the whole body used once the body is completed? Meaning do you get rid of the torso if the character has a shirt or the legs if they have pants?
most of our hero characters will get cloth simulation - so the cloth department often asks us to put in an under body that they can use to sim with. this under body doesn’t need to be fancy but it should have good proportions that fit the character. we are also very careful about mesh penetrations on things that will be sim’ed. it’s just another one of those things where a character that will be animated and in production has a lot more rules and technical limits than one that maybe you will just do a single render with.

@ weidry

1. AMAZING! Stunning work!
thanks we apreciate you saying :slight_smile:

2. How do you do the skin pore texture?
for realistic faces we will often project photos for textures from 3d.sk or photos that we took from a model.
i prefer to use mari to do the projections, from there we get our texture base that we massage and modify to something we can use in the vray skin shader. we also derive other maps for things like reflection and gloss. long story short we actually texture heads first then sculpt. we then sculpt very carefully to match the texture so we get parity between the color maps and displacement maps.

Thanks for the insight! Interesting that you use Mari. I saw a demo of it at Gnomon which was cool, but it seemed sluggish even on a hyped up machine. But the end result is amazing to say the least!

You say you avoid retop as it slows the process down. So for organic objects, especially the heads do you box model and then use zbrush’s move/move topo brushes? As I have seen a couple of gnomon videos with guys that have worked at Blur (Ian Joyner and Sze Jones) and they have used a combo of retop (3DS Max graphite tools) and zbrush move brush on heads and other objects of characters etc. Has that all changed now then?

Cheers.

Fantastic!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Simply amazing! your team did a first rate job on this cinematique. I’m really impressed, but Blur puts out solid art all the time.

wowowowowowowowowowowwowowow

Personly I avoid retopo also, as by the time iv worked out my retopo, and done it, I could have built a new mesh from scratch with good topo to begin with. Remember you can re-use parts like heads, hands, feet, or tweak a character you have done already. This is how I work, but others may choose different ways.

Super Work, Excellent, I love Blur !