ZBrushCentral

Balrog

Looking great so far. Maybe crack the arm up some more? Add more lava glow or something. Head is looking awesome. :+1:

Going great so far.like the renderings,i think a little bleeding around the corners of lava and a little glow would be fine,but as u said this is on the progress stage then this is gonna be cool project.ur hard surface also rocks sathe.:+1:

Thanks dude, and Cheers Brett, I’m a fan of your work:+1:
romilkchoprazb been a while since doing organic though :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers to Grassetti for Sorting out the arms proportions and muscle mass for me. Looks loads better now.
[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘158832’,‘Balrog_ARM_WIP.jpg’,1,0))

Great work so far!!! Love it!

Yeah way better defined then before.
Grassetti and Sathe, the two towers :D:D

5 Stars from me brother - this is fantastic work that you are doing. Love the glows and the Fume FX on the head render really sets it in the elements. Bravo! :+1:

Very cool…looking forward on seeing it finished! :+1:

Awesome! I can’t wait to see the whole thing whip and all!

Hey Thanks guys. :+1:
Really so much work to go, It’s a bit daunting to think about it so i am trying not too.
First pass on leg, Might need to call on the mighty Pupssetti to save me again :stuck_out_tongue:
[Balrog_Leg.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘158977’,‘Balrog_Leg.jpg’,1,0))

The arm looks anatomically correct - however, I still prefer the original Weta balrog’s proportions that are not… or at least not as nice and humanoid. Try to look at the FOTR extended DVD, there’s a few turntables of the digitized maquette there with some very, very nice shapes. Same goes for the cave troll and Gollum… Weta sculptors are really truly amazing.
Jamie Beswarick was responsible for the later two I guess, but dunno about the good old 'rog…

Then again, you don’t necessarily have to follow Weta’s sculpt… It’s just that I really like to deviate from the somewhat boring body-builder look, and make a conscious effort to be more lifelike which I simply find more interesting…

Hey thanks man, Had no Idea the turntables where in there, Ive been trying to get a hold of the FellowShip Extended in HD though for reference.
I guess you are right, its becoming a little solid, but the shader loses a bit of this and then the modeling of the cracks makes it even less apparent, but if what your saying is what im thinking then really gotta get a hold of that DVD

I think the surface details are awesome on your model :wink:

As for the Weta aesthetics, it’s like the difference between a body builder and someone who’s been doing very demanding physical work for decades. Both are strong and big and yet they’re not the same and it’s kinda hard to catch the small nuances… but that’s what I’d like to aim for…

Damned!! Infernal Model !! I know you’re a master in an inorganic but, :eek: organic is your world!!
You’re a very complete artist…

My compliments…

Bye

well done…humm ! awesome is a better word!
nothing to crits just comtemplation

Daammm Looks goood. I hope to see this bad boy move around just a little

Looks awsome!

I love it so much , ballrog is an amazing creature and you will do a sweet ass job on him

Cheers lads,

madmatt, Organic isn’t really my thing, but I did have to spent as much time on it in the 2 1/2 years I was at fuel. about when Mudbox came out so had to learn it for work or get replaced :o

Sorry no updates. but ive been on him a little bit each night reworking topology…Almost there now. Gotta relax it to make it all squares in zbrush after i reproject. it was 90% hand done in max with some Next for the arms and legs so thats why there is no anatomy anymore.
[TopoBody_001.jpg]

Distribution is looking nice.
Do you mean Nex in maya for arms and legs or some next program i dont know of?

Er… me no like. At least if you’re aiming for the Weta balrog.

See, it’s far too humanoid, the stance and the proportions… Weta’s creature is far more animalistic, in many ways it’s like a bull. Longer neck, different shoulder structure, almost horizontal torso and stronger tail to balance it all. It also has a sort of a hunchback. Its stance is actually closer to something like a t-rex, but obviously with far bigger arms.

Here’s a nice profile view from a replica maquette:

[attach=159614]bal3.JPG[/attach]

But let me reiterate, all of this is only valid if you’re trying to recreate the Weta design.

Attachments

bal3.JPG