ZBrushCentral

Aizen's Sketchbook

If you take this route no not even the Manga is the original source, it is a light novel then. The Anime is the original source in regard of colours and shading plus the lineart obviously, the manga doesn’t have colours and shading in it. So pretty bad source if you ask me.
Well for me it is like every other piece of 3d printed stuff it is from a random sculpter I do not know so I do not really care. Professionally made is questionable.

“If you take this route no not even the Manga is the original source, it is a light novel then. The Anime is the original source in regard of colours and shading plus the lineart obviously, the manga doesn’t have colours and shading in it. So pretty bad source if you ask me.
Well for me it is like every other piece of 3d printed stuff it is from a random sculpter I do not know so I do not really care. Professionally made is questionable.”

@Sawarane – Sorry but you must not realize how Anime/Mangas/Light Novels are produced…? In no regards whatsoever–unless specifically changed or is an OVA–is the animation/anime ever the original source. Even regarding color/shading and especially the style of the lineart intended for the show… Since everything from the anime is intended to reproduce and capture the essence of the manga–at least one would hope that is the studio’s true intent–then naturally they would follow the manga as the source. And as sources go and what you say is not true–I’m guessing you don’t read much manga–but the authors/writers/Illustrators of the said manga already have the color choices and stylistic style of the direction of art applied. You can see them in manga itself, they’re usually dictated only to splash pages–double paged–or the proper covers that usually adorn the mangaka books, not to mention the isolated posters and illustrations that the artist themselves would produce sometimes for giveaways/gifts/optional buy from fans for that specific manga. So in regards to source the anime is never the source unless it is an Original Animation; then that’s different between an anime–like one piece–based on an manga. An OVA would be something akin to Expelled from Paradise which could later produce more products such as spinoff mangas, or light novels. Whereas even the fact that you said “it is a light novel” is negated since Light Novels themselves have artists doning artistic renderings of the actual work and character involved in the pieces; such as Bakamonogatari which the anime was heavily influenced–color choice, use of pallete, stylistic lineart, animation direction, etc–by the work produced by the original original that accompanied the said light novel.

As an a fellow artist I really think you should change your attitude towards sculptors that you don’t know… as they are professional which is why they’re in the business – especially concerning just like Japanese Animation, sculpting in Japan is a hard thing to get into. And–I’m assuming you don’t know this information–in Japan toys aren’t mass produced by CAD–the ones often sold (even cheaper ones) such as by Bandai are handmade first and often sold as exclusives titled “Garage Kits” where people that are interested in building/painting it themselves, will often buy.

So yes it is professionally made and yes you should care; acknowledge where acknowledgement is due. It will only help you in getting better as an artist.

@Aizen – Now concerning to the OP here’s some tips depending on what direction you want to go in (I even rounded up sources to help you!):

Regardless of what you’re trying to achieve in your style first pull up the appropriate two images – the original manga and the anime.

The reason being that you will see some semi-noticeable differences–depending on how long you’ve been watching anime while also reading manga or vice versa–between the two. In which to simplify things you will have to decide between three options: Stick with the original manga source, go with the anime adaption (and whatever changes they decide), or use a mix of both–where you take the source of the manga and only apply the anime changes where it is needed – sort of a best of both worlds.

For the third an example would be like if you were to draw/sculpt a certain character from bleach but the costume in the manga is more nsfw–which means the character model will features slightly different features if it’s more based on model–so what you can then do is take the model you want ie. the manga source and just apply the anime adaption of the costume on top of it. Thus creating a semi-hybrid mix of the both while tweaking it.*

*Though you must note that even if using the third method you still have to ultimately decide which artistic direction you really want to push; the anime or the manga.

So after having said that. You can first build your bodies proportionately ie. realistic (so that you have all the proportions right).

Here are examples that help explain what I’m talking about and why you would do this:

http://action-figure.bestofthing.com/kohza-action-figure-4/
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-sale-for-cartoon-lovers-3D_60111659570.html
http://www.coupleofpixels.be/tag/garage+kits

The reason these models look the way they do is they have a realistic proportion–ie. I didn’t say body but proportion–which is important when portraying anime to realism or realism to anime–also applies really heavily on organic modeling in general–as the proportion dictates what they eye will see and how they perceive it.

So once you get the realistic proportions right, what you want to do is decide do you want more of a realistic approach or an more animish/cartoonish approach?

Since going back to my above example the sculptors opted for a more anime-ish approach while sticking to the proportions. The only difference when deciding on being more anime-ish or realistic isn’t the mass or body but how the proportions and details give the sculpt/drawing character while adhering to golden ratio proportions (obviously). Which means even an extremely long armed person can look right as long as the proportions are valid.

So taking from what you did at the first post – it has a much more “realistic torso” – the problem wasn’t that the details were wrong – though they can be more fine tuned to fit the certain aspect that you’re going for – but it was due to the overall proportions of what you had done already, mainly the Head, Arms, and Torso.

These three things didn’t fit. That’s why to even the fans of One-Piece (which stylistically has a really thin proportion anyways) it looked quite odd. The main culprit being your arms. With the original torso that you had–ie. how “thick” and detailed in the matters of how much “ripness” was shown–in terms of the muscle detailed vs. the arm was severely disparaging. As for that type of body that you initially had–a sort of semi-thicker tyler durden feel–your arms were too relatively thin for that build. So realistically it wouldn’t work nor proportionately.

Now for you’re more recent adjustment you instead went the other way – where it is more anime-ish. In the lengthening of the torso and slimming of the abs.

But I would say to go back and readjust it one more time–sorry–to what you had initially and build from there. Since the side view of what you have currently is still disproportionate–and if you were to look at the “anime” and especially the manga–it’s a stylistic choice but the body is still a body ie. where the abs and ribs meet are still pronounced whereas your current rendition is albeit more flat than it should be.

http://www.madokanime.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=1641&osCsid=211a7dbf4749e2e578d838441be0bae9
http://www.madokanime.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=1645&osCsid=211a7dbf4749e2e578d838441be0bae9

http://nsa21.casimages.com/img/2011/10/13/111013090727748424.jpg

^the last one is from the manga – I know it’s hard to see but zoom in – and you can see how the Luffy’s body still has the ribcage + ab (where the ribcage is over the ab) vs. the standard affair.

http://www.madokanime.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=8686&osCsid=pvjbsqanslvf3sq3raomk6lt16

^ there’s a great sculpt that heavily explains what I’m trying to explain to you–via the concepts–and how it applies when sculpting. See how the abs and ribcage is portrayed–but with less overall sharp details and more smoothness–while still retaining your original compositional body and proportion?

That’s what you should be trying to do if you want to adjust it. Go to your original body–adjust your arms a bit (I know it’s tedious but this will help you)–and then after all the proportions and the silhouette is done THEN adjust the depth of the abs, details that are portrayed and how they are portrayed in terms of smoothness vs. finesse. Then adjust your arm accordingly to what you want.

As to your torso length (the original was better as it’s proportionate) compared to you lengthening the torso. As the torso was already pretty long to begin with so what you need to do to adjust the legs is adjust the HIPS not the torso length but the position of the hips will dictate how short/tall your character is with the addition of the length of torso. But since going by what you did–with the original already having a lengthy torso–by just adjust your hip location by lowering a tad bit you will achieve the same look without destroying the proportions and making it look odd. Yes weird thing is humans can perceive this oddness but it’s more of a perceptional feel than actually seeing. This is why this type of thing is always hard to get down whether it be drawing or sculpting. His neck is still a tad too long.

As for your head you can adjust to whichever way you want it to be; more anime or more realistic. If you want more anime then stick with your eyes they’re fine but do adjust your nose that it is a bit more “fine point and semi-stubby” to fit the style you’re going for. Whereas if you want more realistic then adjust the eyes–making it elongated and wider but smaller–so that it fits your nose. Same thing with your mouth. Adjust accordingly.

here are some shots to help illustrate what I’m talking about and to give you a better reference of which direction you want to take it:

http://biginjap.com/en/pvc-figures/10364-one-piece-king-of-artist-monkey-d-luffy.html
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130527230337/onepiece/images/8/83/Figuarts_Zero_Luffy.png
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130527230337/onepiece/images/6/66/Figuarts_Zero_Luffy_Post_Timeskip.png

Also a thing to note regardless of which one you want to take it – tone down the eyebrow padding on the sides (where it arches on the front face) – since the way you have it done gives it more of a DBZ feel – unless you’re going for that (then ignore me) – as when compared to his frowning face, even with eyebrow padding and furrowing it only occludes in the center and is only slightly raised with the slope coming from the edges meeting to a point (essentially) to the middle of where his eyebrows. The pictures I hope help explain it to you.

If you need me to illustrate what I’m talking about I’ll be more then happy to give you an example of the slope that I’m talking about.

Once changed his face will be more luffy like.

Also some other tad bits in case you’re interested: His arms length is semi long–with the top albeit longer than the forearm–while the forearm is skinny but muscley though the top where it connects to his torso is much more detailed (in terms of muscle depth); so like a skinny person working out, sort of. Imagine that and that’s what Luffy’s arm is.

His leg is more buff in terms of calf muslces only (pretty much) – due to relatively high jumping and running – as you can easily see (somewhat) with all the toys that portray him in his swimming form.
While his thigh is basically on average–though it’s a bit more weighty compared to a normal skinny person (so you can essentially say he has semi-muscle depth compared to a skinny person)–but not as much as compared to say someone that regularly trains for their thighs or does kickboxing. So what you need to imagine for his legs and get sources from is Runner and Marathon Runner Legs. Those are essentially what kind of legs he has.

Last note: His hands compared to his arm size is pretty big, which means his feet will be just as proportionate to his hands and legs. Meaning his feet compared to his legs will be considered big too.

Also he has a relatively short neck for someone of his stature and build. (I would adjust this after you get the main proportions right or adjust it while doing the silhouette.)

That’s all I can think of when it comes to body in order to help you. Since I’m sure you can get the finer details down (like his ears, smile etc).

His clothing should be relatively easy I hope/think.
Good luck!! Also sorry for the huge wall of text but I hope this does help you! Overall your sculpting is still really good!! I’m just giving you pointers in terms of anatomy that I thought you could know. I’d love to see more updates! :slight_smile:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?194389-Spidey!&p=1144201&infinite=1#post1144201

This is something that I just found that I thought would help illustrate my point. As you can see it’s extremely caricaturized but it follows the proportions appropriately according to character.