ZBrushCentral

5 Finger Tutorial and Displacement Map/.obj for testing (pg3)...

Fixed the hands a bit. Added more detail to the legs, and arms. I should have him done by tomorrow morning, then I will get to texturing. Doing a few pose tests, I think I should have redone the zspheres to better simulate joints in a humanoid body. Now I know though, so next time will be better for me.

Thx for the Tool, but it doesnt work for me - the hand looks distorted, one of the fingers is overlapping the other ones - this is far away from your hand in your first picture above :frowning:

Okay, sorry for the other hand. I guess Zspheres from 1.55b are not 100% compatible with Z2. I checked it out here at home, and you were right, the fingers are all messed up!

Anyway, here is a new zscript, that works fine in Z2. Here is how the hand should look once the zscript is finished.

Also, you will need to reset your document size to 1024 X 768 or 1280 X 1024. Then, when you hit the play button, DO NOT initialize Zbrush. I started this tutorial with my default settings, and I forgot about the 640 X 480 default startup document.

If you have your show actions on, you will see that I adjust the zsphere density settings when I make the zsphere at the palm of the hand. It goes by quickly, so here is what I did.

After you make the palm zsphere, switch the density sliders back to 0.

Here is the new and improved zscript. I hope this one works for everyone.

Right click and save as

He looks pretty good with all that extra detail you got on him. Nice job Wchamlet and thanks for the script :+1:

Thanks for the compliments TVeyes, and I hope the script works for you!

The model is pretty much finished. I tried some more “posing” and I will have to rethink my zspheres before I make another character. I have too few on this model I think. Anyway, I can pose, and tweak the model to look OK in whatever pose I want, but as far as animating it, or doing multiple poses, this guy won’t work.

Anyway, now I’m on to texturing. This should be fun!

Great job, with a nice level of details. Shame about the posing. Anyways, Have fun texturing :slight_smile:

OK, I was playing around with Jay’s toon shader, and I came up with this idea. The final image is composed of three different renders of the water dude, two types were toon materials, and one was a cavity material. The bubbles are all Z2. Everything else was composited in Photoshop. I like how it turned out, even though the pose isn’t all that hot.

I’m pretty excited to start something new. I don’t know what it will be, but I do know I’m having a blast!

Thanks for looking. :smiley:

nice charactere and render Wchamlet :+1:

A great thread and fun to follow your journey with this superb character.

nice can I suggest something, like if underwater try some fog with it the rest is awsome I loved it!!! :smiley:

Cool model and cool toon :wink:

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I appreciate them. Hopefully someone has learned from my mistakes as far as zsphere posing, and from the hand tutorial!

And I agree Aztec, fog would look cool. In fact, I might make some background elements one day and rerender this scene. Thanks for the tip. :smiley:

Thumbs Up :+1:

Great work.
It’s fun see your work step by step :+1:
Bye
Leo

Thanks for the compliments again! I post WIP images as a way of a) showing my progress, b) allowing for critique during the process, and c) to encourage/teach others how I came about my creations.

I’m all about sharing my work, in all aspects. I know many artists that I’ve been around are the exact opposite. They’ll learn something, and never share it. Actually I went to a college where most of the teachers where like that too. But not me, I like to share stuff.

Thanks once again!

You right!
Art and beauty hidden are sterile !
Pilou
PS Of course your creature and tut are so cool :cool:

That’s a really great render. IMO I think it is worthy of being up on the top bar of thumbnails. It’s got a great sense of perspective. I would say that the only thing wrong with the pose is that the spine and neck are too straight…not a strong enough action line. :+1:

Thanks for the compliments, and the critique. I’ve had some problems with this guy posing, so I will definitely be rethinking how I make zsphere figures from now on. If you look at Lonnies thread he gives some great advice on Zsphere posing.

One thing that you don’t see in this pic is his right shoulder is completely twisted into a knot, and I couldn’t “rotate” the zsphere to fix it. So I just stuck with that pose, turned him in the pose you see, turned on the perspective view, and rendered away. Once I get more familiar with what zspheres are capable of, I’m hoping to do a lot more with them.

Thanks for that link…I was just about to ask if anyone knew of good links that discussed working with creating z-sphere that work well when posing. Forgive my newbiness, but why is the term “zif” used sometimes?
Also, I was reading up about posing and storing morph targets and stuff. Could you tell me if my understanding of this is correct? You create a displacement map from the high-detailed mesh and apply that to the low-rez mesh created from the morph-target-stored zphere model? But because you saved the zsphere, you can pose it before turning it into the adaptive skin and apply the displacement map?
Thanks for the help!

No, that’s not the way that I did this. All you need to do is to set the adaptive preview density mode to whatever Subd level you want, and from there you can sculpt the model to look however you want. For this model, I got to level 7 before I had to stop, 1.8 million polys I believe. I need to get more RAM to do more. But for now, I’ve found that 1.8 million works fine.

Once I finish the tree tut, I will start working on a zscript that incorporates modeling a character like this guy. But that might take awhile to finish.

Hope this helps!