ZBrushCentral

3D mouse Spacenavigator

A Wacom tablet plus 3dConnexion mouse is as close to the digital equivalent of a pottery wheel as one can get. Only works well in 3D Coat though. The driver hack which forces it to work with ZBrush isn’t compatible and kind of flaky for regular use too now that I’ve gotten to use it. I agree, it’s a shame Pixologic aren’t more communicative. Simply being acknowledged and not feeling ignored can go a really long way. For example it’s one of the main reasons I’m going to upgrade to 3D Coat Pro even though I don’t really have a need to.

It’s true, being ignored as a customer after all the jumping up and down is almost as bad as not having the drivers available. Very frustrating. :confused:

I contacted both Pixologic and 3Dconnexion. Pixologic has provided 3Dconnexion with their SDKs. BUT 3Dconnexion says that the SDKs which Pixologic have provided “does not have the ability to change the view, so it does not do us any good.”
If we really want to get 3Dconnection devices functional with Zbrush then it seems Pixologic will have to initiate the process, not the other way around.

Lets get this done! :+1:

I am currently looking to buy a zbrush license again…but even before that happens I am voting on this. These 3d mice would make Zbrush just that much better…come on Pixologic. People obviously will use the mice in Zbrush, the models with hotkeys built in would be incredible in this program and even the normal one would be great for the view control alone. The last time I tried zbrush, the main thing that annoyed me was navigating to where I wished to look on the model. I believe these controls would pretty much completely elliminate that issue. Doing searches on this subject, I found a reply from Pixo to someone else saying that if you stop to work on something like this, then you wont be working on a new feature for Zbrush…this WOULD BE a new feature, and one that many current, and future users, would be very happy to have. I am quite sure this is even worthy of being advertised in the whats new info for whatever version of Zbrush that its fully implemented in. 3d Connexion is trying to make their mouse work in your program…help them out more than just tossing your sdk at them and basicaly saying “have fun, we have better things to do.”

Anyways, Zbrush NEEDS this, rant off.

3Dconnexion says that the SDKs which Pixologic have provided “does not have the ability to change the view, so it does not do us any good.”

+1 from me. Waiting years for this usability. Users on both sides are begging. With navigation being such a basic requirement, (and clumsy with mouse alone) one would think this would be a priority for both companies.

EDIT: Got a response from 3Dconnexion… (and forgive my laymans terms here) If I’m understanding correctly, Pixologic must add 3d mouse support using 3D’s SDK, which they’ve provided, before 3Dconnexion can finalize a driver that will integrate seamlessly with Zbrush. I don’t truly grasp what is required, so AFAIK this could just be another round of finger pointing.

I’ve also seen a post from Pixologic’s position saying, effectively, “we don’t have time to program Zbrush to utilize specific devices, and we gave them our SDK (which 3D says does not help them integrate, as stated above)”

That’s like the last square-wheeled prehistoric automaker saying “we need to constantly improve our body design, we’re too busy doing that to look into these highfalutin ‘round-wheel’ devices.” I agree with ravensoul10 and all the other users that it’s a complete mystery why Zbrush would not embrace 3d mice 100%, even chase down the companies that produce them. 3Dconnexion’s high-end products are supported by almost every other 3d package you can name now, even ones whose navigation was intuitive to begin with. All of Zbrush’s contemporaries are on board. I’m pretty confident the SpaceNav devices, as 3d mice for 3d work, are pretty much in a class of their own with almost zero competition in exactly what they do. Why wouldn’t you embrace a product that makes your own software more accessible and easier to use???

And if not, WHY NOT? Is Zbrush’s navigation system so… unique… that there’s a fundamental incompatibility with integrating the functionality? Do you have to rewrite the entire program or what?? Are they developing a competing hardware? Anybody?

Seriously, all we want is to rotate an object in virtual space using a peripheral device. And honestly, I’d be happy if I could just use my Xbox controller to navigate. But a space mouse, no questions asked, should be the bare minimum - as it is the current industry standard.

Now, I’m sure it’s not that hard to implement in ZBrush, so I think the problem lies within something else. Something I don’t think Pixologic is ready or willing to discuss with us. But I do hope someone does add 3d mouse or haptic pen support.

(I’ve heard only recently about the Novint Falcon working perfectly fine with ZBrush, as a haptic device should. However I don’t know if it’s the most intuitive way to model in ZBrush, as it still doesn’t solve the issue of using a peripheral device to rotate or navigate around our object/project. But the haptic device would idealistically serve as a viable tablet replacement.)

All we need is a way to map something like, oh, the arrow keys on the keyboard. Press Left on the keyboard and the object rotates clockwise horizontally. Press right and it rotates counterclockwise. Hold Shift and press Up and the object scales up. Shift and Down will cause the object to scale down. It’s a simple fix. It doesn’t need to be this complicated.

I mailed Pixologic and asked them to add the support, haven’t heard back yet.
In the 3DConnexion forums the developers are saying that they need Pixologic to help them out in order to get the drivers working.
So here’s me adding my +1 to the petition. PLEASE add the support! ZBrush was one of the main reasons I bought a 3d mouse (never in my wildest dreams could I have thought it wasn’t supported).

My guess is they are adding it to the 64 bit version they are writeing. Once they make the shift to 64 bit, all the power users will use that instead of 32 bit anyway.

Would love to see this happen. I got mine and love zooming around different environments without having to click and drag constantly. I understand that people want the ability to sculpt and move at the same time (at least, I think that’s what they meant) but even just the ability to move around when not sculpting would be better than nothing. At least then I wouldn’t feel like there is a paper weight on my desk when using Zbrush while in most other programs it is a fully functional device.

I’m so tempted just to create a simple macro just to get some use out of this device since neither company seems willing to work together.

I was horrified to find that zBrush does not support the 3DConnexion.

3D-Coat (with one single developer) has had this for years, and this certainly gives 3D-Coat an advantage for ease-of-use.

I can count the programs I use that don’t work with the puck on one hand, actually one finger.

Come on Pixologic, step up to the plate!!! If 3D-Coat’s one single developer can write the drivers on his own (and they work perfectly), your entire staff must be able to come up with something?

Edit - I just spoke with tech support and they stated that it was a question of resources. That the 3Dconnexion was ‘new’ and not many zBrush users used it, so they weren’t willing to allocate the resources.

My input is that anyone who has used a puck in their left hand to sculpt cannot go back.

The gentleman nicely suggested there’s a 30 day money back guarantee, and I may end up taking it as I want to enjoy working with zBrush and not be angry each time I use it in an ineffective way.

For anyone else interested, it’s just a question of making Pixologic aware that this is a feature that is desired and worthy of resources.

Heh, pretty humorous reply from Pixologic. Perhaps the reason a lot of ZBrush users don’t use a 3dConnexion device is because of the very fact there is no support for it? And how would they even know how many ZBrush users own one anyways? I love my SpaceMouse Pro and use it with all my apps, not just the 3D ones but for 2D as well, and not just for graphics either. It’s easily one of the best investments I’ve made, up there with my Wacom tablet. Speaking of which, they work perfectly together in 3D Coat and feel very natural IMHO. Like you said, once you try it you won’t want to go back. :slight_smile:

No doubt the real excuse has more to do with Pixologics’s long standing desire to be different than the competition, even when doing so ends up being detrimental in certain scenarios. Anyone who has used ZBrush for any length of time knows exactly the kinds of things I’m referring to (and that it’s slowly improving). Yes it’s sad, but I just do my best to not let it get me down, particularly when switching between apps. Plus there are decent, and constantly evolving, alternatives to ZBrush after all like the aforementioned 3D Coat. I believe Autodesk has added support to the newest version of Mudbox just as Luxology did for Modo not too long ago, making your comment about the number of fingers you can count on an apt one lol.

But hey, it’s Pixologic’s program and they can do whatever they want with it. We’re only borrowing it, or at least that’s the way a lot of developers see it these days despite the astronomical cost for some of their products. Personally speaking though? I’d keep ZBrush and not take them up on their offer of a refund. You never know, they might eventually change their mind and dedicate the day or two it would take to add support. And the beta drivers from 3dConnexion do have some ability to work with ZBrush, albeit it’s not all that great because you can’t navigate and use the tablet at the same time. But it is there for those desperate enough, so at least one party cares enough to at least try.

Actually I think a lot of Pixologic’s issues are technical. They handle 3D information completely different than standard 3D programs. This is a good and bad thing. Good being that Zbrush can handle higher polycounts and doesn’t rely heavy (if at all) on the GPUs, but rather the CPU. This means a high end model can be worked on in lower end machines. The bad side is some abilities and ideas behind standard 3D aren’t always as easy to implement into Zbrush’s way of doing things. This may or may not include things like navigation hardware.

It’s not just about being different just to be different. There’s a reason Zbrush can run high end models that bring other 3D programs to their knees. It’s not magic. There are limits behind the engine.

That said sometimes it helps to contact others about support. In this case it would probably be useful to bother both 3dconnexion and Pixologic about support in Zbrush. If customers and another company keep leaning on them they might realize there’s potential there and it’s what the customer base wants. Who knows, maybe they could work a deal together where both Pixologic and 3Dconnexion sell bundled versions of their products together. Win-win.

I hope they do. There’s a great need to have a standard navigation in all 3d packages, and hardware could very well fill that need.

Last time I priced one of those mice, it was well above my budget. Also desktop space is always at a premium, keyboard which is necessary, trackball mouse (6years old) and graphics tablet take up most of the space there. Navigation isn’t a problem nor manipulation of the model on the canvas. IF ZBrush used 3D space as in other apps perhaps I’d share your disappointment. I’m happy with my current methods.

The Space Navigator puck I own is $87.99 with free shipping from Amazon. Penny change.

I have a mouse pad platform that extends from under my desk on the left (you use the opposite hand from the one you draw with). It takes zero desk space and rolls under the desk when I’m not using it.

Of course, I also use a keyboard and mouse platform that extends from under my desk for ergonomic reasons - and that’s why having the puck below my desk level works for me. Most desks are way too high and cause repetitive strain.

Again, if you ever used one, you’d view it as essential. Everyone I’ve spoken with who owns one does - and I bought mine due to recommendations on the 3D-Coat forum. Being able to quickly and exactly zoom, pan left/right, pan up/down, tilt, spin, roll … is way cool and there’s really zero learning curve. It works exactly as you’d expect it to.

Hopefully zBrush will decide to catch up with the wise decisions made by Mudbox and 3D-Coat, as well as 3ds, Maya, MotionBuilder, etc. etc.

I decided to keep zBrush, it does have a lot of great features - but … it’s just lacking one that would probably by very easy to implement if they just put their minds to it.

Count me in for this much-overdue marriage of technology.
~CG

Count me in too for this petition as I have just purchased one and I don’t want it to work wonders just rotate/zoom.

Regards
k…

count with me too! it would be awesome to use tablet+ 3d mouse in zbrush. i use it in cad softwares and it improves a lot the production, and its very confortable =)

Hi
Any updates regarding 3D mouse Spacenavigator for Zbrush?

Yeah!!!
I am so glad I found this posting. Up until now I have only found posts by ZB users saying why they wouldn’t want 3D mouse, and it has seemed unreal. Here are the benefits that I have found using a SpacePilot Pro with all of my other CAD packages:

1. It is more comfortable and accurate to use than the two handed method allowed today. How many times do you want to get in close and then your only option is to use the margins to start a rotation from?
  2. It is simpler to use. To zoom I need to hold Alt, start a drag, release Alt, change my zoom drag direction, remember to lift my stylus before I press Alt again. And I can’t rotate at the same time.
  3. It makes 3D work go faster. You don’t have to spend all that time fussing around with the model to get it to move into position.
  4. It is faster to train new employees to use than the two handed method.

Pixologic, please support the use of 3DConnexion’s 3D mice. It will make your product easier to use and users more efficient.

I’ve launched this thread 2 years ago and despite a real yearning of zbrush users, Pixo didn’t lift a finger on this.
With all the amazing improvements on each new version of zb, 3D mouse support is problably the most ridiculously easy to achieve. What are they waiting for?