ZBrushCentral

2D Symmetry Painting

Fun thread:+1:
Look forward to future creations.

Here’s another one. After seeing the amazing Ray Harryhausen tribute cyclopusesses by Ralf Stumpf and Rick Baker, I thought, “why not totally blast them out of the water with my mad skills?” (so kidding, you better not take me seriously :lol: ):
cyclops.jpg

And one more. RoboWars! That’s gotta already be the name of something…
robowars.jpg

Haha, my tiny brain only thinks of using this for character design. :lol:

Love the battle scene!

Always very cool to see people using Zbrush in completely different ways. Your illustrations are fun. Definitely post more!

woo hoo you made my day! :smiley:

Hi vincenzo, very fun, original style. :+1: I’m looking forward to more from you. Zbrush 2d is few and far between. Gonna go get lost in your site now. 50.

I said before that this thread inspired some crazy ideas? Let’s throw a few on the table!

1. Open your Transform pallete, and hit the b button for Radial Symmetry.

2. You’ll need to use the >Z< axis instead of >X<.

RadialCount defaults to 8 – move that down to 2. Or 3 if you’re feeling especially brave.

Draw!

In a way, this is very similar to what you’ve been doing. You’re still painting on several points of the canvas, with everything converging in the middle. So, you still have the same forces shaping your composition. The difference being, it’s all inside-out now. That rigid center divider you’ve been using is mind-bendingly fluid.

Example:
    drawing_flat.jpg

(I tried to keep this subtle, because the symmetry wasn’t as strongly apparent to begin with. The more rigid your base, the more extreme you can go with your lighting.)

Both challenges, I think, push us in creative directions not possible with any other software.

More to come! :cool:

Attachments

drawing_render.jpg

Thanks folks! I have some more, including a couple based on Ctrl-Z’s ideas (thanks man!). Some strange part of my brain is captivated with strictly mirrored symmetry, but this technique is very fun too! Here’s one based on the Tibetan legend of the five serpents that are locked in an eternal battle seperating the earth from the the uppity-most heavens… okay, I totally just made that up:
[attach=60067]legendary_snakes.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

legendary_snakes.jpg

This one represents the equally made-up-by-me Tibetan legend of the five peacock-lookin’ birds that eternally sit in a circle and try to think of what to have for dinner:
legendary_birds.jpg

And one more, a mustachioed zombie-lion who’s upset about something:
zombie_lion_guy.jpg

:+1: Very cool
Andreseloy

Wow, you’ve got a whole series of these going now! Cool concept and lots of style and creativity in your designs! I love it. :+1: The new round ones look like something that might be depicted on a plate or bowl… or hubcap. :stuck_out_tongue:

Love 'em! Particularly the explanations. :slight_smile:

Another quick one.
necksnap.jpg

I figure they’re forcing each other to see things from their own perspective, despite (or because of) the fact that they already did.

Or less poetically, they’re all breaking each others necks for no reason.

Not really sure.

Thank ye for the comments folks! And Ctrl-Z, I like that a lot! That interaction between the different instances really does make it more intereting and tesselation-ey. Here’s another technique that might interest you. Well the same technique, but, uh…
Okay, start with a Z radial symmetry of 32, draw a bunch of stuff, move down to a 16 count, draw some more, go to 8, 4, 2…
danceparty3000.jpg

Hey, these look great! They would make great Tshirt prints. Maybe you could have some Tshirts done through Cafe Press.

I should really try Zbrush for more 2d work…

Cheers,
Revanto :stuck_out_tongue:

If you set your radial symmetry to 12, you can make wall clocks through them as well. Not that there’s a market for analog clocks these days, but it’s still fun.

I’ve been playing with that idea for a long while now, but haven’t come up with anything I’d be proud to see hanging yet.

For the X mirror ones, I’d like to suggest a different shop.
Vincenzo’s illustrative style could make for some mighty fine skateboards!

Another quickie, just exploring some “what if” techniques…

(it is WAY too busy in the middle)

cutout_mess.jpg

Drag-rect with a custom alpha.

Radial Symmetry = 8.
(Radial Symmetry + Alpha = strange)

Brush->AlphaTile = 2, I think.
(I was trying to compensate for the alternating Alpha orientation, and instead made alternating blocks of the same alpha)

ZAdd/ZSub and RGB in use with every stroke.

And then some uneven level tweaking in Photoshop, because I’m still enthralled with the “this should be symmetrical, but isn’t” aesthetic. (though truth be told, hard edges and directional shadows were probably enough)

So, yes. Every shape that you see there is echoed directly across from itself with the opposite lighting. It’s almost a puzzle game trying to match them. Sort of.

…I’m easily amused.

Video quality’s not what it should be, but here’s some fun.