ZBrushCentral

specimen12 - alien creature texturing

I’ve been tweaking these shaders for a few hours here trying to find the best combination… this is what I came up with so far. Any ideas, crits, suggestions appreciated.

That’s a pretty cool looking alien! I like the surface texture on the skin. Maybe if you blended the purples with a little more earthy and organic looking colors it might bring him out a little more? Maybe look at the color pallets on spiders, beetles, and caterpillars and adapt those color schemes to this fella?

thanks for lending an eye… I tweaked the coloring and texture a bit… I think it looks better!

what do you think? better? more crits please…

I think it looks much better. Good job! Are you going to sculpt him a base to stand on? Maybe something that resembles his planet?

Looks better for sure, a base would be cool, a small atlas even. As far as the colouring, the paint looks “thick” Maybe try the colour spray with a scattered pattern alpha, start with low rgb intensities, and layer it up. Light colours first then darken in the shadows. That should get you a nice transparency to the skin.

thanks guys the base sounds like a good idea… I think if I put something in the scene for him to lean against and posed him better it would help a lot…

SavageBliss, I think I see what you mean about painting to get a transparent feel, interesting I had never thought you might be able to do that. I tried at first to put SSS on this guy but it didn’t look right… this might really help… do you know of any examples of where the artist used the method you’re talking about? Maybe yourself? cheers

Here is the link to a video tutorial. You allready know this, you just need to change your stylr (rgb intensity) a little bit. Some examples will help and there are lots of tut’s in the tut’s section.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=48840

I did some more work on this guys texture… I’m going to build some sort of base for him now.

Any crits on the current skin / texture? Improved?

Attachments

specimen12_foil_color1.jpg

Man, it’s really hard to judge this guy in that pose. Looks like a Spore creature right now. This may just be personal taste, but I think if you balance your colors to something like 80% neutral, earthen tones, and save your bright super saturated colors for patterns, strips, spots, or other bits’n’doo-das you’ll have a more believable critter. But maybe that’s not what you want. Just my 2 cents.

I know, he’s a pretty odd character. He started out as a thumbnail and I liked how it looked like his arms were hanging down… just gave it a creepy feel and I wanted to take it all the way. The idea was that he’s an alien… from a planet with a low level of gravity so limbs can just kind of grow and do look unnatural…

I tried to build up his shoulder a bit to try and help sell the believability of it’s anatomy to the human eye.

I do want him to look as realistic as possible.
I added in some more earth tones. Better?

Attachments

spec12_002.jpg