ZBrushCentral

Ornamentalism - My Tablet Sketchbook (Second Video page 2)

I’ve never been into making creatures, but ornamental and abstract stuff has always come very easily to me. Might as well get some feedback, so I’ll add stuff here as I go. Most of it will be done on my Thinkpad x60 tablet!

This is my first real Zsketch. It's crude and rather messy, but this method is so much fun! Can't wait to really figure out the hard-surface stuff, and hope to see even more improvements in Z4. ![zsketch01.jpg|1024x546](upload://davSMv9yL3A4wCofBQDFOTIXS4k.jpeg) ![zsketch01.jpg|1024x546](upload://davSMv9yL3A4wCofBQDFOTIXS4k.jpeg)

Woah. This is crude? How did you make this “crude” awesomeness? I’d love to learn how to make fancy ornamental patterns.

Wicked!
This kind of ornamental work is so much fun to create in Zbrush. Give the PlanarPathCut brush a try for making planes on those curved surfaces. So far it has given me some decent results (still need to play with it some more).
Keep posting your work!

It’s just crude because I never stopped to refine anything, just kept adding. The method is pretty simple, just one zsphere to start off, then armature and bulge brushes, with a little flush/flush-resize and messing with stroke options (lazymouse and spacing setting are fun).

Then to render the screenshot, make a poly plane and drop into projection master, then clear the canvas and draw some intersecting instances of the zsketch tool while still in projection master and render. It gives you a crazy infinite extrude if you pick it up, but looks fine for the single render in PM, and you don't need any meshes.

Thanks! I actually saw your ironworks stuff right after I finished this sketch and the PlanarPathCut part of the video got me excited, since I was hoping the hard brushes would do that, but hadn’t figured it out yet in my experimentation. Great work.

These are some doodles I did a week ago while visiting someone at the hospital. (I was talking to them too :D). I got the projection-master bug like crazy after watching those great architectural videos.

<STYLE>BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } P { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } DIV { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } TD { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } </STYLE><BASEFONT face=Tahoma size=2>13.jpg
01.jpg
</BASEFONT>

Attachments

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Dang! I can barely keep up with all the awesomeness coming out of the latest ZBrush release. These are very cool. What architectural videos are you refering to?

awesome - your ornamentals look really really cool
i never tried to do stuff like that with zb -thanks for the great inspiration
drkdve
:cool:

Could you do a time lapse of this technique?

Actually I did all these in 3.1 (except the first post which was zsketch). I was referring to the ZClassroom “Architectural Techniques using projection master” video series. Gives you tons of options for high-detail stuff.

Thanks, and you are quite welcome.

I’ll try at some point. I’ve never done it before though.

3t.jpg
<object height=“512” width=“382”>

<embed src=“http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6810521&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always” height=“512” width=“382”></object>

Here’s a zbrush timelapse I did today, just for womball. This is the 4th design I did, since I screwed up the video recording a few times… but it worked out.

This is my method for sketching those ornamental details, inspired by Sebastien Legrain’s architectural techniques. Basically I paint a 2d design with simple masks, then invert and pull out the shape with some surface contouring with clay and standard brushes, then use projection master on a clean plane to drop and position and mess with the base design in various arrangements with LineII stroke and spacing, and DragRect with move/rotate.

And here’s the render. All together it took about 5-10 minutes from beginning to end.

<style>BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } P { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } DIV { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } TD { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } </style><basefont face=“Tahoma” size=“2”>3.jpg

Simply magnificent! :+1:

WOW! Now I wanna see more timelapses :D.

Simply excellent ! I really love these patterns and techniques :wink:

Glad you guys like it. It’s really fun to do this stuff with a tablet pc. It does give that weird “tallscreen” aspect ratio though.

-Khalavi - Your Dhalsim is really one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen on here!

awesome work especially the AO / white renders. thanks for sharing

That’s so cool! i love this kind of ornaments! and the timelapse is very very veery helpful! thanks for sharing with us :slight_smile:

Had to pick my cheek from the desk. Really a great and wonderful technique!

Sweet! 5 stars for you too. This is extremely helpful! Now do you use references while you work too? Or do you just sketch out things and see what works?

Thanks for the stars! I’m glad it was helpful.

I don’t use any references, just play around with it until it feels right. I used to doodle this kind of thing all the time with an ink pen at 3AM on folded diner napkins (my ghetto version of sketching with symmetry) but it’s so much easier and more fluid when you can undo and erase. Do it enough and after a while you just get a sense for curves and angles I think.

<BASEFONT size=2 face=Tahoma>ZBCThumb1.jpg
</BASEFONT>

Attachments

01.jpg