ZBrushCentral

Chindian's 3D Sketch & WIP Thread

MOST RECENT UPDATE
Ok - so finished up the work on the fat dude… Llyode. Textures are pretty much done - other than a little photoshop touch ups… the sculpt is done also… So it’s now just to generate maps, etc for him… But i think i’ll work on getting the other models done also before i continue on this…

[attach=101353]fat_guy_05.jpg[/attach]

Also finished up the sculpt on the old elf dude… added some scars, tightened up some details… added some more aging to him… tryin to make him feel like maybe a retired elf warrior/archer… still need a name for him - any suggestions? Also - i’m gonna start working on a back story for him - as well as some clothing and a scene to put him in…
Here’s what I got:

[attach=101354]old_elf_01.jpg[/attach]
[attach=101355]old_elf_03.jpg[/attach]

Anyways - that’s about it for now… Gimme some feedback! Crits & comments always welcomed!

Thanks!
-T

ORIGINAL POST

Hey everyone - so I decided I’d start a sketch thread for some of the models I’m doing in my spare time recently.

I just graduated VFS - looking to get into some freelance work and also looking for a job - in the meanwhile, I’m trying to improve my sculpting skills in zbrush and just get more practise I guess… So i decided I’d start doing a series of speed sculpts to help me improve…

Here’s a couple of the stuff I started recently:

Started a celeb bust of Eva Mendes… Doesn’t really look much like her… but haven’t worked alot on it since the first day or so… This is one I hope to get back to - but for now I’m takin a bit of a break from it… I was getting a bit bored.

[attach=94197]eva_m_wip_02.jpg[/attach]

Next mini project was this head sculpt - started off just bored one day and decided to make a generic mesh so I can at least have a starting point for these quick sculpts. I then popped it into zbrush to give it a bit of a test run… Here’s wut I got:

[attach=94198]oldguy_day_01.jpg[/attach]
[attach=94199]oldguy_day_02.jpg[/attach]

Gonna keep working on this guy a bit more - not quite happy with his mouth area… and I might texture him… dunno how far i’ll go on it.

After this quick sculpt - i saw some changes I needed to make to the base mesh - so I made my second revision of the “Metamesh” - and did some quick cartoony sculpts - just to play with some new styles… they’re not done - I wanna take them further I think…

[attach=94200]charicature_01.jpg[/attach]
[attach=94201]charicature_02.jpg[/attach]

Anyways - that’s about it for now… I’ll post some updates again soon I hope…

Please feel free to give some comments and feedback!
I look forward to hearing from yall!

Bless.
_T

Attachments

eva_m_wip_02.jpg

oldguy_day_01.jpg

oldguy_day_02.jpg

charicature_01.jpg

charicature_02.jpg

fat_guy_04.jpg

fat_guy_05.jpg

old_elf_01.jpg

old_elf_03.jpg

2 day speed sculp holy damn wow bro impressive.

pretty impressive work for a graduate, gl on finding work :+1:

great work man!

Alex Oliver

go VFS :wink: - really like the second sculpt. definitely will be keeping an eye on that thread!

Just amazing! :+1:

WOW! I’m really surprised at the response! Thanks alot guys…

infamouskiller - Glad u like it…

ion7 - thanks man - i’ll need it.

alexleia - WOW! Alex Oliver commenting on my thread! I’m geekin out here! haha… Big fan of your work! Muito obrigado xara!!!

Intervain - Firstly - woot! VFS! haha… I loved ur VFS reel… Was one of the reasons i went there… Anyways - thanks alot for the comment! I’m honored.

Pencracker - thanks!

Here’s some updates I got done today - didn’t really have much time to work on much… so just a small update for now…

Did some work on the 2 cartoony characters and also started roughing out a quick sketch of an idea for another quick sculpt… a fat guy! yay! - I’ve always wanted to do one… hehe. But I’ll have to look up some reference, etc… before I continue - because right now he’s looking pretty generic. Anyways - I guess that’ll be the next quick sculpt i’ll do once i get the ones I have here finished.

I also took the liberty of naming them for easier reference… The names are totally random - just kinda looked at them and thought of the first name that came to mind…

[attach=94204]charicature_03.jpg[/attach]
[attach=94205]charicature_04.jpg[/attach]

And the fat guy:

[attach=94206]fat_guy_01.jpg[/attach]

Looking at this one now - he kinda reminds me of the old elf guy if he were to put on some pounds… haha. I’ll have to fix that and make him a bit more unique…

Here’s the metamesh I’ve been using for all these sculpts… (Except the Eva and elf sculpts - those were previous versions of the mesh) Here I have shown the UVs, Polygroups and topo for those interested… hope it’s helpful.

[attach=94207]metamesh.jpg[/attach]

As usual - crits and comments are welcomed!!!

Thanks for the interest!
Bless.
_T

Attachments

charicature_03.jpg

charicature_04.jpg

fat_guy_01.jpg

metamesh.jpg

Hey, great work. Your’e style is very pretty. I know that might be a strange way to critique it , but I really admire the clean lines and form that shines through.
*edit-OH and i love talking edgeflow…so its great to see the mesh and UV layout

Goldenry - haha - thanks… that’s definitely a unique way of describing it… haha.

Ok - didn’t have much time to do work on the heads… so here’s a small update. Just worked a bit on refining the look of the fat guy - trying to make him look a bit more specific and distinct…

fat_guy_02.jpg

Enjoy!
Comments & crits welcomed!

Bless.
_T

great sculpts chindian.:+1:

Hey Thad whats up bud!!

This is such a great start for you sculpt sketchbook! Like I said before, your sculpts keep better and better.

I really like the updates you made to the edgy look head sculpt. The mouth area looks way way better.

Dude… Keep up the great work! Later!

-Javi

Great work! I think the topology is especially good and very simple. Too many time I see models with like a hundred loops going around the eyes and poor loops around the mouth and nose. Yours looks perfect and it shows because the sculpts come out very natural.
Also very well done with the female because I know how much harder it is to sculpt soft female features than rugged male features.

I look forward to seeing more!

rodion vlasov - thanks!

javierloredo - thanks dude - i’ll make sure to keep em coming and keep u in the loop…

pap87 - thanks! Ya - the female softer features are alot different to the chiseled and wrinkly guys… haha. Definitely a different challenge… Oh - I really like your deep thought model - nice work! And the Spartan is coming along well too… keep it up & thanks for the comment!

Ok - so I didn’t get much in the way of sculpting done today… Only minor tweaks to the models - nothing worthy of posting really… Spent a large majority of the day doing errands and helping my dad move furniture… but I did end up doodling this quite peculiar drawing… haha. Made me smile… and was a nice distraction from all the 3D stuff I’ve been doing recently… hehe. So I thought I’d share it with yall… haha.

Apparently his name’s Franklin and he likes rubber duckies. lol.

[attach=94202]franklin.jpg[/attach]

Anyways - I’ll hopefully have some more serious updates soon…

Enjoy!
-T

Attachments

franklin.jpg

Hey Chindian, cool stuff, i really like the characters.

What’s the difference in polys between your base metamesh 2.1 and say… Eurich? I’m really interested in how you kept the really smooth, clean look on your finished characters. Is it Zbrush??

hahahaahaa:D last one on the sketch is funny.:+1:

Pigumon - Eurich is done with Metamesh v. 2.1 - so it’s exactly the same mesh as Llyode and Lemosy…

The 2 day sculpt of the old elf is done with v. 1 - which had an isolation on the top of the lip i didnt like - because it defined the sculpt too much. So I re-routed it into the mouth and down the lower lip to give more resolution there.

The Eva mesh was originally the first mesh - but it was more specifically built for the Eva model - which is why i totally redid a mesh for these sculpts.

Ultimately what I looked at was how animatable the mesh would be - ie. Edgeloops to facilitate deformations and blendshapes, and also how evenly spaced the polys would be - especially in the front of the face. So that when it was subdivided - it would yeild the most even poly distribution throughout the model.

WRT keeping the models looking clean… I dunno - it’s just how I model. I usually start off roughing out general form at lower sub divs before going up more… so that helps keep things light and clean later on… Dont rush into higher subDivs before properly working the lower ones for all they got. Other than that and careful modeling - that’s about it… no big secret.

rodion vlasov - thanks - glad it made u smile! :smiley:

Well - gonna get started on some work today - so hopefully by this evening I can post something again for u guys.

Bless!
-T

Great sculpt !
my preference goes to Eva ! :wink:

yay for VFS students. damn we rock. nigel says hi!

That was a great Demo Reel! I love the creature! It took a little while to load… I’m glad I waited. With mad skills like that… 3D Compaines should be knocking on your door! BEst of luck with your work search and like everyone else here on this thread - I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cheers.
Chris

gpepper - Thanks!

henrysouth - woot. Are you attending VFS now? What class number?

SixxPixels - haha… thanks man. I dunno - i look at that demo reel and just think I could do so much better now with what I’ve learnt… But it definitely was a great learning experience while I was there at VFS learning the tools and programs. Glad you liked it though… we’ll see how my stuff fairs with the job search though…

I’m soooooo frustrated right now!! :mad: I spent alot of time today finishing off the fat guy - Llyode - model… and was done. Then as I was saving for the last time of the night before I log off - zbrush crashed and corrupted the file! AHHH!! 5 hours of work down the drain! :evil:
Sigh.
Sorry - I needed to vent.
Anyways - here’s wut I recovered from the previous save… It should have been a finished model were it not for the crash… but i guess I’ll just have to redo the work I lost tomorrow.
(Sometimes I hate computers… haha)

[attach=94560]fat_guy_03.jpg[/attach]

Anyways - hopefully I can finish this model tomorrow…again… and start texturing.
:stuck_out_tongue:
Peace.
-T

Attachments

fat_guy_03.jpg