ZBrushCentral

The Black Pearl

This is the animated version of the Black Pearl from the Pirates of the Caribbean. Gentle Giant Studios is putting this out and it was shown last weekend at Comicon (3D print).

I did most of the ship with Maya (My first hard surface model).
The monster is all Zbrush, and zspheres made the tentacles easy.
The clay brush was great in fading one tentacle right into the
kraken’s main body, the seam became invisible.

I did this about ten months ago (it seems) and after this I learned to
create hard surface stuff in Zbrush rather than Maya - but I still
go back and forth on some things.

-Brandon Lawless

[attach=86155]1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=86154]2.jpg[/attach]
[attach=86153]3.jpg[/attach]

Great piece! I really like the “kraken” part! :lol:

I really like this. Looking forward to see it painted as a real model
on the Gentle Giant site.

Cheers

Ralf Stumpf

woww! i think this is reallyy cooll!! i would love to see more close up of the model! great work !

-fabian

yeah…definately WOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This looks superb. Excellent modelling. Would love to see it textured.

Outstandig work. Please do show more, if you can. The quality on these is amazing. :+1:

turned out great! :+1:

Zbrush is awesome.
For instance, after I did the ship, I went into the deformation menu and used, um, taper or something, and just ballooned one end of the ship or the other, or both. With the deformations you can squeeze and fisheye … oh yeah thats what I did, perspective, I did that - negative on the slider and positive, back and forth so the middle of the ship got squeezed in essence, making what was a technically correct ship into a funhouse ship.

It was a fun ride playing with the deformations to do what 2D professionals have been doing since they were born. When an artist draws something he is using tricks that we 3d toy makers have to understand to make a 3D sculpture. For instance Scooby Doo. If you try and sculpt him like he is drawn you’re not going to get it right. You have to average out all the perspective drawings that some penciler has done, puzzle it out, until you get the most appealling 3d model.

This is the future, where the penciler, the sculptor and the carpenter all come together. Zbrush is amazing. I’ll post more images tomorrow (running zbrush with bootcamp and I don’t want to reboot yet). I also emailed my manager to see if I can post some more stuff, hopefully he’ll check his home email soon and get back to me so I can post a bunch of stuff like this.

-Brandon Lawless

Outstanding work !!!

Fantastic work.

Excellent!..thanks for posting this up.

Awesome…big fan of Pirates Of The Carribean anyway.

I edited the original post, adding more pictures.
-B

Here is he ship. I imported many of the sections, then used the deformations on them, then fit them all together.

-B

[attach=86156]5.jpg[/attach]

Looks nice, lot of work! Take care of the sails, they look like cheese with holes.

I’m not satisfied with the holes in the sails. They should be sharper with tearing (at the time I was helping beta test for zb3/PC) and I was trying to figure out how to cut through meshes.

It’s a problem. Organic realism can be captured, and hard surface modeling. But animation drawings like in Disney’s animated films (not Pixar/cg) - lion king, little mermaid etc, are hard to capture with meshes.
We learned that quickly at Gentle Giant. 2D artists draw with strokes, which create sharp silhouettes or tearing. We’d like to emulate that but it proves difficult. It’s like a combination of hard surface modeling and organic, and the meshes were becoming too time consuming. :slight_smile: The 3D print will be improved traditionally and we may just create sails like this traditionally in the future.

-B

The tatters at the bottom of Barbossa’s jacket (layers too) should be sharper, like blades. Up at the hat, little holes need to be punched through and they should have a sharp feel as well.

You can see where I just pressed in on the boots to tear them, but you can see it is not as clean as they should be. Creasing in the beginning of the project (or pinching near the end of the project) were not as easy as simply using a blade on traditional clay/wax.

If all those lines were sharp and clean, this figure would be a dead on match to the 2D drawing.

Oh and btw, I did that whole monkey in zbrush with zspheres. I was suprised but it proved fast and easy due to the monkey’s position, shape, and the fact I didn’t need to create little fingers/toes.

-B
sda.jpg

Here are two busts. The head is a digital scan and the rest created in Zbrush. Oh excpet that Brian Wilcox made the rifle outside of Zbrush.

[attach=86158]tusken2.jpg[/attach]
[attach=86159]tusken3.jpg[/attach]
[attach=86160]1.jpg[/attach]

EXCELLENT!!!

i hope you share the 2d drawings with us at the end. that monkey is awesome!!! so is the pirate…this is goin’ to be one hell of a piece when it’s all said n’ done.