ZBrushCentral

ZBrush Interview: Killzone 3

[attach=241099]Banner.jpg[/attach]

Bring on the big guns!

Just a few days ago, Guerrilla Games released its newest and highly anticipated installment in the Killzone series. Developed for the PlayStation 3, this first-person shooter features eye-popping visuals that have resulted in the game being described by IGN as, "easily one of the best looking games on any current platform, and makes war-torn worlds look beautiful.”

The ZBrush artists at Guerrilla Games have been excited to share their work with the community at the earliest opportunity! We spoke with Senior Character Artist Rudy Massar along with Art and Animation Director Jan-Bart van Beek, who share great info about their work on this game. They also share enough ZBrush screens and high-resolution artwork to trigger an international incident. (We’re kidding here. Mostly!)

If you’re a fan of the Killzone series you’re going to love this interview. But even if you haven’t been following the game, ZBrush enthusiasts everywhere are sure to find something of note!

Click HERE for the Interview

Here’s a sampler of the many images that you’ll find. You can view them in high resolution from the interview pages.

[attach=241100]Image1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=241101]Image3.jpg[/attach]
[attach=241102]Image2.jpg[/attach]

Many thanks to Rudy and Jan-Bart! We are so appreciative of the time and effort you put into getting this interview ready, even while the game was in its final phases of development. (Also known as “crunch time”.)

Pixologic would also like to extend our thanks to Guerrilla Games and Sony Computer Entertainment for having consented to sharing this interview with the ZBrush community.

Use this thread to discuss the interview!

Be sure to also check out our many past interviews, which can be found in the ZBrush Artist Interviews forum and the User Stories page at the Pixologic website.

[attach=241103]Icon.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Banner.jpg

ZBC1.jpg

ZBC3.jpg

ZBC2.jpg

Icon.jpg

Wow - Been seeing some incredible work posted here on ZBC lately but these are absolutely phenomenal! Makes me feel like I need to start pushing myself to be a better modeler…
Great Job Guerrilla Games… You guys/girls should be wicked proud of the quality you all delivered in KILLZONE 3!

Great character work from these guys. I was surprised to hear they don’t make more use of Zbrush for environment and asset work.

I’d be interested to hear how they make sure the proportions are correct for models that are supposed to share rigs or if each character gets its own rig and they just do accessory/texture swaps on some of them.

Inspiring work and great game!
Thanks for sharing!

Great interview - thanks for posting guys! Kudos to the Guerilla team on this awesome series :sunglasses: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Excellent interview!

This is extremely inspiring. All I had to get hooked on this series was play the Killzone 2 Demo. I love seeing how my favourite games were made. The entire look of the game is amazing and I cannot wait to see more great designs in Killzone 3. It’s making me raise the bar in my own work.

Love the game, love the art style, love the interview!!! Thanks!

Fantastic interview! It was very inspiring, and like Insane_Joker said I love seeing my favorite games broken down and the process behind creating them.

Great stuff! :smiley:

Super Fantastic…So inspiring! Thank you so much!

Thanks a lot guys for your kind words. I’m truly flattered to hear you get inspired by our work. It’s nice to hear that there are some fans of our game here as well.
We’re definitely looking at the possibility to make more use of ZBrush in future projects; version 4 got some really cool new features we definitely need to explore further.
Droma We simply use a template model in ZBrush that fits our skeleton. As for the accessories we use to make variants, they get attached to a skin point on the game character. Our Set-up Artist then creates different entity files defining these variants. He also wrote a quite extensive toolset to handle complex skinning tasks, so I’m giving you the simplest answer I can come up with.

great interview! When can I expect the new Ballistic book to be in store? :smiley:

Hello Rudymassar,
Congratulations for your newly released game and interview ! Great to see you evolving so good in your zbrush skills :slight_smile:
Cheers !

Killzone always will be reference to a good FPS game with Hightech weapons and history this show a great deal that developers and artist can do!

Great Guerilla and of course PIXOLOGIC!

@rudymassar Thanks for the answer. I know any more detailed explanation would turn into a much longer discussion that you probably don’t have time for lol. Game looks great though hope to hear what your guys next project is soon.

Similar to soccer today hands were not allowed to be used and being on the team was thought an honor. juventus , levski sofia , lille osc , olympiacos It was actually like a combination of soccer and basketball with small stone hoops placed about ten to twelve feet up and the players had to bounce a ball made of a hard rubber like substance through the hoop without using their hands. olympique marseille , lyon , osasuna , panathinaikos Being a team sport, football not only exercises the human body and mind, but also brings people together to produce measurable results. parma , partizan , psg , psv eindhoven Under this notion, with the word “football” one may describe any game played on foot. ac milan , fc ajax , anderlecht , as roma , atletico madrid , leverkusen In addition, the club’s home stadium Pittodrie represents a milestone in history as the first all-seated stadium in Britain. bayern munich , benfica , besiktas , bordeaux , braga , celtic The club would reach their glory years during the eighties under Alex Ferguson, who became Aberdeen’s manager in 1978. cska moscow , cska sofia , la coruna 3. The first player to ever score a goal for Aberdeen was Willie McAulay against Stenhousemuir on August 15, 1903 before a crowd of 8,000 spectators at Pittodrie. dinamo kiev , espanyol , fc barcelona Every player should know well the techniques and habits of the fellow across the line from him before the game starts. Coaches give you detailed scouting reports of the various opponents and show you movies of different games. fc basel , porto , fenerbahce And as far as I can tell the streams are extremely high quality, which is exactly what you would want if you couldn’t watch your games on the tube and had to watch them online. fiorentina , galatasaray , inter The live football sites I have found which are free excite me in knowing I wouldn’t have to pay but they also make me wonder why they are free in the first place. racing santander , rangers fc , real madrid Nation states are the latest entity of identity after tribes. Barcelona has long sought to exert Catalunya, which negotiated its autonomy alongside other regions following Franco’s death in 1975, as a nation. sampdoria , schalke 04 , sevilla Big league Spanish clubs have powerful local identities, which have often been used to reinforce social cohesion politically, while the national side has lacked style and success over recent decades. shakhtar donetsk , sporting lisboa , ss lazio He led them to their highest league table position ever and threw in two victories over the hated Manchester United into the bargain. steaua , st etienne , zenit Then there’s the unremitting attention from the press. Certain managers like Sir Alex have to deal with the media at a similar level, but at the end of the day he’s only got to keep the United fans happy and while it may seem like there’s a whole nation of red glory hunters out there, that’s not actually the case. wolfsburg , werder bremen , villareal cf Talk about going in at the deep end. Under Sven’s leadership, we went on to qualify for two world cups and the 2004 Euro Championships, something that seems a distant and nostalgic dream when you think back to the desolation that marked this summer. valencia , udinese calcio , arsenal fc McClaren played in the 80s and early 90s mainly for Hull. After leaving the game in 1992 due to an injury, he became the assistant manager at Derby County and then at Manchester United. aston villa , bolton wanderers , chelsea fc After it became obvious that the big man didn’t want the job due to media attention, the FA gave the job to McClaren. everton fc , liverpool fc , manchester city The decision to drop Beckham didn’t make sense to me then and it still doesn’t now. manchester utd , middlesbrough fc , newcastle utd For a while everything looked good, the players were doing well and we only needed a draw in our final game against Croatia to qualify. portsmouth After the Croatian match, there would have been more chance of Newcastle United signing Ronaldo than McClaren staying on as manager. stoke city fc What we need in England is continuity. It’s all very well for Capello to “discipline” the players but what’s the good if he’s not here to carry on the good work? vfb stuttgart This doesn’t include the amateur game which is prevalent in England, often referred to as Sunday League football. tottenham hotspur Below the Blue Square North and South are the UniBond League, the British Gas Business Football League and the Ryman Football League. west bromich albion Such as the journey of the ‘original’ Wimbledon Football Club, who rose from non-league status to appear in the Premiership. west ham united Valencia CF however has the largest following not just in Valencia but is in fact the third most followed team in the whole of Spain. wigan athletic fc Because it is so easy to get to there is little need to search for a hotel in the area, but rather take one of the four star hotels of which there is abundance in the centre of the city.

The records from the Byzantine Empire show that a version of soccer being played there before the rise of the Roman Empire may be the truest version from ancient times. juventus , levski , lille , olympiakos This version called Pok t’ Pok was also quite violent and the use of weapons was allowed at times. The losing team was beheaded, no worries of a losing streak. olympique marseille , lyon , osasuna , panathinaikos Being a team sport, football not only exercises the human body and mind, but also brings people together to produce measurable results. parma , partizan , psg , psv eindhoven Although most consider that the word “football” refers to an action performed by a foot -like kicking a ball-there are some who accept another explanation and justify the use of hands in a rugby game. milan , ajax fc , anderlecht , as roma , atletico madrid , leverkusen Among the top football players who have suited up for Aberdeen F.C. are Gordon Strachan, Alex McLeish and club legend Willie Miller. bayern munich , benfica , besiktas , fc bordeaux , braga , celtic fc Ferguson quickly led the club to their second League title in 1979-80, followed by three successive Scottish Cup triumphs from 1982 to 1984, two more League titles in 1983-84 and 1984-85, and the European Cup Winners’ Cup victory over powerhouse Real Madrid in May 1983 which made Aberdeen F.C. only the third Scottish team to ever win a European trophy. It quickly followed this up with a European Super Cup championship in December 1983. cska moscow , cska sofia , deportivo la coruna 4. The Aberdeen Football Club was the first team to lose a European tie on penalties. This was during the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1970 following a 4-4 aggregate draw against the Budapest Honved Football Club of Hungary. dinamo kiev , espanyol , barca Once the game starts, it’s just you and the other fellow, just as it is in the prize ring. If you are not prepared, it can be a long, hard afternoon. And a losing one, too. fc basel , porto , fenerbahce So far I haven’t found many of these sites as being free. There is however one in particular that charges a very low fee, probably one of the cheaper sites online. fiorentina , galatasaray , inter milan Just make sure any of the sites your looking at always mention its LIVE. racing santander , rangers fc , real madrid As a result of this process of labelling, children of ‘superior’ eye-colour both outperformed children of ‘inferior’ eye-colour and their usual selves, while children of ‘inferior’ eye-colour underachieved. sampdoria , schalke 04 , sevilla The drive for greater autonomy has done little to endear Catalans, often labelled as thrifty, joyless souls by the rest of Spain. shakhtar donetsk , sporting lisboa , lazio The Premiership’s one of the fastest leagues around. Well yes it is, but Sven proved he could successfully manage an English club when he took over at Manchester City. steaua bucuresti , st etienne , zenit So Sven comes into the job with no previous international success and the hopes of an entire country resting on his shoulders. wolfsburg , werder , villareal During his time in the top job, Sven wasn’t without his critics. Many saw his calmness as indifference. No, leaping around in the technical area certainly wasn’t Sven’s thing. valencia cf , udinese , arsenal fc McClaren played in the 80s and early 90s mainly for Hull. After leaving the game in 1992 due to an injury, he became the assistant manager at Derby County and then at Manchester United. aston villa , bolton wanderers , chelsea fc Fair enough, they weren’t many and some weren’t even English but it still counts I guess. everton , liverpool , manchester city McClaren’s first act as manager was to drop many of our most experienced players such as David James and David Beckham. man united , middlesbrough , newcastle united . It will always be a mystery to me why Mcclaren brought on another striker when all we had to do was keep the score level at 2-2. portsmouth Capello has a reputation as a strict disciplinarian and has implemented many changes in both the structure and attitude of the team. stoke city fc Capello has a get out clause in his contract that could mean he’ll leave after the world cup. stuttgart This doesn’t include the amateur game which is prevalent in England, often referred to as Sunday League football. hotspur The FA Vase is open for teams from level 9-11 and the FA National League System Cup is contested by representative teams from each league of level 11. west bromich albion As you move down the levels the stronger clubs remain professional, yet the majority are amateur. west ham Valencia play at Estadio Mestalla which they have called home since 1923. This 55,000 seater stadium is soon to be put into retirement. wigan athletic The level of hotel in Valencia is high, and they cater to the needs of international travelers fantastically well.