ZBrushCentral

Monkeying Around

Here is a model that I have been working on, on and off. I hope to finish him entirely with textures and hair. working on this model makes me wish HD geo was finalized, as it would allow me to make sure that cavity maps would be smooth and not pixelated looking due to them being generated from a model that needed more subdivisions. it really pushes my 3 year old machine to its limits, so i think it will be time for me to upgrade the core of my machine.

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘103140’,‘monkey_30.jpg’,1,0))

I have read your article and have one question to ask, would you pls Post your MSN to me?<br>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
I want to sell my beauty Hummer H1 and volvo trucks beacause of serious diabetes, and I lose weight. if you want to buy my beauty Hummer H1 and volvo trucks, pls contact me by kaiyure@gmail.com.

haven’t seen you around here in awhile, this is pretty nice, i know what its like to work on an old machine too, until this year mine was made back in 01.
the face is very expressive, the subtley in the mouth is nice. i don’t know why but it seems cartoony to me, over exaggerated or something, but i’m not sure.
the only thing i could add would be to add some hair here and there.

Yeah, he is a bit cartoony. Usually a monkeys/ gorillas mouth is a bit flatter than i have here, and not so round/puffy. I kind of exaggerated it.

KaiyureGirl: article, huh?! ( im guessing its a spam message ? )

as you can see, everything below the bust needs refinement and just general tightening, but heres how the rest of him looks. I also gotta say that these cg chain materials kick total ass. they are probably the best set ive seen so far as they have a very clear gradient so that more subtlety can be seen in a model.

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘103246’,‘monkey_39.jpg’,1,0))

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘103247’,‘monkey_40.jpg’,1,0))

I also gotta say that these cg chain materials kick total ass. they are probably the best set ive seen so far as they have a very clear gradient so that more subtlety can be seen in a model.
Cg chain materials?

Where can one find these? :smiley:

By the way, it is very nice to see you posting again, I have been following your work since 02. You have been and are one of my biggest inspirations.

nm found em!
http://www.cgchain.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=57&p=1009#p1009

Great model Martin! I like the balance of the skin details vs the general shapes. I think the selective detailing works very well as it is now. It moves the eye on the parts that need to be seen. I think I would prefer it like this than a constant amount of detailing all over it.

Also this shader does the model justice.

Great model Martin! I like the balance of the skin details vs the general shapes. I think the selective detailing works very well as it is now. It moves the eye on the parts that need to be seen. I think I would prefer it like this than a constant amount of detailing all over it.

Also this shader does the model justice.

yeah, thats what i was going for. getting a polished model out, that doesnt over do it with wrinkles. i still want to tighten him up though so that the wrinkles on his hands aren’t so blobby. it will help for when i need to bake out a cavity/AO map so i can use it as a mask during texturing.

nm found em!

have fun with them, its a great set of materials. between this set and the set that was posted over at tweakcg ( the mudbox shaders and variations of it ) im set :D.

Really beautiful work man, the Monkey looks calmed and compassionate like its been tamed by a keeper.
There’s just the right amount of detail too, good to see you haven’t gone overboard.

/.Grant

dang that model looks really good, the calmess and @ ease expression reminds me of the Gorilla in Mighty Joe Young. Love the attention of detail u put into that sculpt so far. I especially like the hands and the feet, the seem spot on. nice to see my Matcap in action as well. 2 thumps up from me mate :+1: :+1: , and keep up the good work.
bgen

I know that monkey! Great stuff, Martin! :slight_smile:

hey martin!

great to see something new from you.
don’t know… -there’s something that seems kinda off. the head looks mostly like a chimp but the body looks more like a gorilla.
think it’s because the head is a tad too small or the shoulders too broad.

-but then again, maybe it’s me who don’t know what a monkey looks like:D

nonetheless, i really like how you done the muscles and the not overly done details.

-r

yeah man totally.

the reason why its such a mix is because i took references of all sorts of monkeys and mashed it all together. took some things from gorillas, chimps, etc. i probably should have just stuck to one monkey type, but i sorta like this mix personally.

thanks for the comments guys. :slight_smile: ill work on him some more once im free from work again. I will have xsi soonish and a new computer with more ram, so he will get textured, hair, and probably a landscape to exist in :smiley:

Ive had some time to get back to this guy.

done some playing around with fur, and heres where he is at for the moment being. he will have more, on his hands, and feet, and some more on his head/face.

I actually removed his pose before moving onto the fur, because it will make him more flexible for the future. If i decide to rig him up and do a few short sequences with him.

( yes, his hands are too big. i will make them smaller )

-mk

nice work! but those cg chain mats u mentioned earlier dont seem to exist any longer, think you could zip them up for us? thanks

the materials are still on that website. you have to register to get access to them. it is free however.

follow link:
http://www.cgchain.com/viewforum.php?f=41

cheers.

Wow, the fur and hair are just pure beauty! :+1: :+1:

Very nice sculptin - skin has very realistic quality - :+1:

and yup the mat looks very cool

• Thx for the mat :smiley:

heres a wip turntable.

http://www.martinkrol.com/uploads/videos/monkey_sm_02.mov

I’ll make a smaller one later.

next time he will have eyes and teeth, and finished textures for his hands/feet. I’ve only put time into texturing his bust for now.

Very cool and thx again for matcaps would never have found them :smiley:

Fur is looking great :+1: :+1: