Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Cool princess fiona on page 3, more princesses to come starting page 4

i recently saw at cg-talk a wonderful image, which was a painting based on a zbrush model, and i thought i want to try that myself. i am going to do a portrait of a princess, and have modeled her head, and will probably some of her jewellery as well, and plan to paint all other ... and a friend suggested to do it as wip here, so i hope you enjoy me watching at work and find for yourself some useful tips and ideas i intend to sprinkle in while i go

so first some wires. i built from zspheres basic mesh (sorry i forgot to save the zspheres) and then used only transform/edit/move to push vertices into place.

in first step i concentrated mainly on putting features to where they should be approximately, like ear top is about at brow line, ear bottom about nose bottom, and such ...

then in second step i subdivided (and did NOT smooth) and refined features to get more feminine forms ... again, only transform/edit/move tool and here often with draw setting=1 to be able to push single vertices instead of many vertices ...

in last step again subdividing, pushing vertices a little, more subdividing, pushing vertices and then smoothing (i think i did twice). when smoothing later the advantage is that the basic form kept stable, whereas when you use smoothing very early the basic form might change drastically if not enough polygons available and you have to redo some of your modeling ...
    so far i had modeled with quickedit+polyframe view on to see the polygons, now having the mesh as fine as i want i switch off quickedit view and have smooth view on to see how it will look when rendering, and this is now time to do finer details, like nose wings, lips, inside of ear etc ...
    and in this step of modeling i also used with very low zadd setting the transform/edit/draw tool ... but only very rarely, since i do not like that it tends to make the mesh untidy and i wanted this time a clean mesh too ... (btw the head has a little over 26000 polys, so is still not too heavy)

oh yes, and it is a very good idea to use the transform modfiers x, y, or z to restrict the movement of points into one direction while modeling (and changing that as needed) this gives a lot of control over what you are doing, in particular if you turn your model away from the standard views left/front/top ...

and here is the basic scene setup and first try on lightning ... she still does not have the expression i want her to have, but i hope i understand how to do it as soon i give her eyes and eyebrows ...

... and yes, 121 very welcome, as always
    my fun with zbrush thread, my homepage riolama, and my zbrush blog

Great model Kokoro i just wait for the next step¡¡¡
    Congratulations
    Andreseloy

The top of the head is maby to large.
    Nice modeling and coler skin.
    I just wait for the next step of this model..

Cool

a very cool start, kokoro, including many useful tips! thank you for sharing and keep us updated!

- juandel

Thumbs up

I'm REALLY glad you posted this Doris!
    (And the mesh looks pretty good to me in wireframe as well...)

I think you will be able to acheive the realistic look you want with this, having seen your painting skills, and I am really anticipating the direction this is heading...
    Some very fine modelling!

A 121 is easy here.
    How many ways can you say fantastic?
    There have truly been some great images here lately, this will be in the lead I am sure.

Tremendous work !! and the hints in your explanation are enlightening and helpful !

ok, time for an update ... four things :

1) thank you all for your encouraging comments

2) this project has turned into a collaboration with Michael (stonecutter) who offered to create the jewellery the princess is going to wear ... and i am very happy about that ...

3) i had to make some unwanted compromises due to zbrush´s inability to provide true perspective and to the non-real z-lights ...
    as you can see below the head is not in perpective, i struggled almost a day with zbrushs perspective function to get it right (and i know how it works !), but this is only 1-point perspective and not 2-point which i would need here ... so after alot of strugglings and getting annoyed by that, it turned out the best of the bad is the positioning without perspective at all ...
    another day i spent to try to get zbrush lights as i want ... the problem here was that once models are snapshotted they loose some of their 3d information, namely all what is not visible to the viewer ... and this makes impossible for example to use correctly rimlights ... as you can see i do have a yellowish rimlight (for example at her jawline....), this rimlight is a sun with radial turned on ... and it does shine through the nose holes !
    of course this were impossible if the snapshotted head would still have the information of the back of the head, but it has not, and so there are actually holes where light shines through ... to make it not too visible i was forced to use a weaker rimlight than intended ...

4) the update ... ... i painted eyes directly on the spheres with rgb on only, and also painted lips ...

since the jewellery is going to be modeled we decided to also model a basic shape for hair. this hairmodel Michael can use to fit the head jewellerey we plan and this will also give advantage that when overpainting the hair the lightning on the model gives me guideline how to paint lights and shadows of hair ...
    i obtained hair from a sphere, moving points roughly into place to form a kind of helmet, and then place it in the main document in a new layer, marker it. save document and then resave document under new name, delete all layers except head and hair layer. shrink size by half ... in this way we have now a smaller size document, with marker for positioning hair, and the smaller size allows now (at least on my slow comp) to model directly on the head without delays for redrawing screen ... so the hair is modeled to look good in exactely that view ... and as i model i can turn it to get better access to areas on sides say, and then use marker to place it back in correct position ...
    then the finished hairmodel is placed by using the marker into the hair layer of the main document ...

and i added a background layer and painted with flat material to fix colors for the background ... later i will take care and paint that better ...

Cool

Hi Kokoro
    I have missed this thread !
    You have return to modeling ?
    Painting is not more attractive
    Great work in progress!
    Why not open a little the lips, it's more aliving
    And now we are waiting the "bjoux" of Stone
    Have happy zbrsushing!
    Pilou
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Another stage of an image that is "breaking into beautiful" before our eyes...cant wait to see this Princess evolve fully !!

hi frenchy, not not away from painting, but now combining modeling with painting, as you will see when princess develops ...

actually painting becomes more attractive to me every day ... i just explore possibilities, frenchy ... and your idea with lips open, i will consider

and thanks robotalk, this is really encouraging

Cool

First, this is based on a sketch Kokoro sent me, which came from her model rendered, and I used only two brushes here, a simple brush, and the smudge...All the colours in here come from the original pallette in the sketch, and I added none...
    I post this here, as a study for the piece Doris is doing, and consider myself 'By Appointment To Her Majesty, The Princess', the Official Court Jeweller, and I consider this a great honour...
    And Frenchy?
    As you see, painting...modelling...Doesn't matter. They work fine together.

Hope you are enjoying our project as much as we are...

Cool

Of course we are enjoy of it
    Hybrid technic has no matter as you said, only count the result!
    Have happy creation!
    Pilou
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Fantastic work!!
    Well worth the time you guys are spending
    on it.
    Two small petty observations
    1 line between head and hair too perfect, it gives an appearance of a wig or hat.
    2. There are points or corners, if you will on the top of the ear facing the camera.
    Gives a hint of alien.
    Didn't mean to throw rocks at a nice piece.
    Can't wait till the end

Wink

she married or not??

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast