ZBrushCentral

General Red Skull

Hey guys, how is everybody? This is a new piece I am in the process of working on. Red Skull has always been a fascinating character to me and one of the coolest Marvel villains, and since the new movie is out I thought I would give it ago.
I still have a ton of modeling and texturing to do before I throw him in a proper render, but I hope you guys like it so far. Any critiques or criticisms would be highly appreciated :slight_smile:

TeethRender.jpg

Attachments

BronzeRenderSHeet.jpg

SculptMatRender.jpg

Looks great man !! :+1:

@magalhaes hey thanks man :). your hydralisk rules

next I need to add some cloth detailing to his coat and texture that and hopefully I’ll have an update today.

Hey guys, bigger render with some cloth done. Still a lot to do, but how’s it looking so far? :slight_smile:

Honestly it dosnt look that good, wh9ile the pedestal and his suit ( could use soem wrinkles and folds ) look nice, his face looks like a bizarre mix between two face and the actuall red skull ;f

While he looks really good from the anterior view you should consider the lateral view because the proportion look a little bit off. I hope it heps

First off, please do a google image search on “red skull marvel” and on the results page, and look at that for reference.

The previous poster is spot-on when he says it looks like a melding of Two-Face and the Red Skull.

The features of the bones of the skull need to be more dominant. Think of the skin being more leathery and stretched over the face moreso than in a regular person. I’ve always thought that the cheekbones are out more than normal as are the brows.

Personally, I think the Red Skull doesn’t have ears – as designed by Jack Kirby and followed by most every Marvel artist since. But if Red Skull has ears in the movie, that’s your call.

However, Like a chicken, the Red Skull doesn’t have lips in the comics. In the stills I’ve seen for the Movie, the lips are thin and don’t protrude much. I would sculpt the mouth without any expression, to make sure that the muscles and such are correct and then add the expression (via a layer morph so I can get back to a known blank expression if needed).

And as tempting as adding colors to the sculpt is, it’s not ready yet. It’s still too soft, that is the planes of the head aren’t quite fixed and there’s no feeling of one plane turning into another. Using a clay matcap can help you with defining these planes and features better. Remember, big forms first and the details will “fall” into place.

But-- this is your piece and if this is how you want to interpret the Red Skull, then go for it dude! Hope this helps and looking forward to your progress!

Hey thanks a lot so far guys, I really appreciate it.

Just to address his face, I have seen a lot of Red Skull reference being a big comic book fan, and there were 4 or 5 images I had constantly open while I worked on it. I saw quite a few images from different eras where his facial features were exactly that of a skeleton with no eyelids, lips, ears etc. but I also saw quite a few where he had a normal face that was just a little disfigured. I decided I liked both very much and tried to incorporate that by having a semi-normal face that is slowly deteriorating. Just trying to do a creative interpretation of a character I like :slight_smile:

I totally see that it needs some reworking though. I keep feeling like the sculpting of his features are a little dull and not sharp or “finished” enough like I see all of the sculpts here. Anyway, gonna take the advice and try to improve it!