ZBrushCentral

Alastor - game character wip

At first, i wanted to post this character finished, to blow peoples mind. But every day, this forum reminds me that i don’t have wet the ability to blow peoples mind. :stuck_out_tongue:
I also noticed that frequent updates makes a thread a lot more visible.

So, enough talking, here is my wip on Alastor, a character i created for a personal game project.

[alast_wip_01.jpg]abrvpt_gunscythe.jpg
Just need to do some tweaks on blade texture.

Attachments

alast_wip_02.jpg

alast_wip_03.jpg

alast_wip_04.jpg

alast_wip_05.jpg

[alast_wip_06.jpg]alast_wip_07.jpg
And some paintover to figure how the character will be.

I like the new additions you have planned; they’re definitely heading in the right direction! Not sure you should do the moustache though, as you lose one of the most unique features of your character - that mouth!

Hey thanks for the comment ! :slight_smile: Yeah i was hesitating for the mustache, i had in mind a very light one, but seems that it hides the mouth even like that. I’ll rather try to make a bad shaved look in textures.
Stay tuned. :wink:

Interesting design and nice sculpt work. Would be nice with added beard!

Thanks a lot for your comment. :slight_smile:

Small update, still some parts to block out.

[alast_wip_08.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘162284’,‘alast_wip_09.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

alast_wip_09.jpg

the hand and forearm armor looks very similar to the wrath in stargate atlantis… maybe you could use that as a source of inspiration?

Hey thanks for the comment ! :slight_smile:
I watched Stargat Atlantis only once… Do you have a picture of the armor ? Didn’t found one on the net.

Update !
Only need to add hair and fixing for the chain, then i’ll head on fine details, sewings, scratches, etc.

[alast_wip_10.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘163329’,‘alast_wip_11.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

alast_wip_11.jpg

Detailing in progress…

[alast_wip_16.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘164520’,‘alast_wip_19.jpg’,1,0))

Crits and comments very welcome. :slight_smile:

Attachments

alast_wip_17.jpg

alast_wip_18.jpg

alast_wip_19.jpg

Awesome work! Great start so far, I like this character. Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks for the kind words, glad you like him ! :slight_smile:

Small update, i consider the hair work done. Let me know what you think.

[alast_wip_21.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘164973’,‘alast_wip_21.jpg’,1,0))

Looking great so far. Love the hair too!:slight_smile:

Question, did you do that quick drawing (the hair, etc) in Zbrush or with photoshop later on?

:+1:

Thanks for the comment rooky. :slight_smile:
I did the paintover in photoshop. I read a lot about Paintstop but i didn’t tried it. I might be wrong, but there days i only practice modeling and texturing for video game purpose. Not so much drawing… My tablet is too small and too tired for good cg drawings anyway, hopefully i have sometime a little moment for a pen sketch.

Here is finally an update of the damn bloody hell of a coat ! I got so much bugs… I solve the problem by splitting the coat in 4 subtools, with overlaps for clean normal baking. I lost easily 3 days of work because of issues on this part.
Anyway, i’m happy with it.

[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘165837’,‘alast_wip_23.jpg’,1,0))

Wicked Mesh,
Just don’t think i would want to fight him.

Hello there !

Long time i didn’t posted anything. New job, new games… Anyway, i didn’t gave up on this guy. Here’s an update.

alast_wip_26.jpg

Need to add some spots on the skin, detail eyeballs and do the scarf. Also some minor details on the body, hope to finish this soon.
Thanks for watching. :slight_smile:

Attachments

alast_wip_25.jpg

That’s one huge mouth, I bet his species cant kiss very well :wink:

I see it’s been a while since you last worked on it, poor guy has just been waiting on his final details, probably crying. Doesnt matter how badass one look, they all got a soft side dont they :slight_smile:

Hehe thanks for the comment. :slight_smile: He’s got a soft side yes, maybe you can see it in his eyes now. :slight_smile:
Little update with some details, just need 2 little things ti finish on the high poly. Next step, low poly !
I think i’ll do some changes on the rifle also.

Thanks for watching.

alast_wip_27.jpg

Attachments

alast_wip_28.jpg

Nice work. What is your process for making the smaller details. Like the boot laces, buckles, straps and that cool chain for the knife??

Thanks for the comment Ehren. :slight_smile:

For the boots, here’s the mesh (after sculpting)
alast_boot_detail.jpg
For the stiches, on the shoes and the coat, i just changed the alpha of the stiches brush.
The laces were done in 3ds Max with splines. Actually i could do them with zpheres i guess, but actually i felt more comfortable with this on Max.

The straps on the boots was pretty simple, basemeshes in max then detailed with layer brush and little strokes of slash brush 1 on the edges.

For the chain, i’ll post a little 3ds Max tutorial later. :slight_smile:

Attachments

alpha oeillet.jpg

couture simple.jpg

couture triple.jpg

Highpoly done ! Just a few shots on the last details.

He’s smoking something very apreciated by marksmen, especially snipers. It’s a small porous branch wrapped in a gum band made from the sap of a thick-leaved plant.
Its relaxing effect on muscles helps to gain accuracy. On the other side, it causes a little sleepyness.
This thing have been made illegal since the end of the Great Wars, but many people continue to smoke them.

Next step, modified rifle and lowpoly !