ZBrushCentral

Beastie

Hello!

I’m terribly new to this and still have lots to learn. A friend had me check out ZBrush and I am blown away. I don’t have any real experience beyond loving art at school (over two decades ago - ouch) and what I’ve worked out so far through experimentation and asking people silly questions.

Without further ado, my first post.

Hairy.jpg

HairyWIP.jpg

Attachments

HairyWIP.jpg

Hairy.jpg

And, my second.

Still just playing around. Some of these tools are incredible. I was playing with the Micromesh ability. Amazing.

Knight.jpg

KnightWIP.jpg

Attachments

Knight.jpg

KnightWIP.jpg

Just messing around with features. No major updates. Just a quick render.

KnightC.jpg

Attachments

KnightC.jpg

Playing with Zspheres and polypainting. This software is just too cool.

Frog.jpg

Attachments

Frog.jpg

The polypainting feature is incredible… What fun.

Frog2.jpg

Attachments

Frog2.jpg

Learned lots making this guy. He will be forever without eyes as I want to move on. This software is life enhancing! My wife has commented on how upbeat my mood is, since I’ve spent the last weekend in ZBrush! lol.

Beastie.jpg

Attachments

Beastie.jpg

I’m a bit intimidated by making clothes… also my aversion to eyeballs strengthens.

Butcher2.jpg

Attachments

Butcher2.jpg

I’m not done with this guy yet. I want to tackle eyeballs despite my ever growing fear.

Amputee.jpg

Attachments

Amputee.jpg

Revisited this little beast today. Spent some time tweaking proportions (i.e joints, knees Etc) And detailing further. Absolutely in-love with this software. It’s a creative orgasm.

Frog3.jpg

Frog4.jpg

Attachments

Frog3.jpg

Frog4.jpg

Just a random beastie. I don’t think I’ll take this one any further. I was actually wanting to cover him with thick dark fur, which is why his body was under-detailed.
However I clearly need to learn more in regards to the fibermesh utility. I felt like it was one step forward and two steps back when it came to grooming.

If anyone has any tips or advice in regards to grooming hair in a 3d space please let me know.

Beast.jpg

Attachments

Beast.jpg

Keep it up!

With regard to fibermesh, its a pain to make it look right, and involves a lot of work. Not really a quick and easy way to do hair, so you should plan ahead to spend time on it.

Try messing with the fibermesh settings in the brush toolset. You can change the collision settings so that the hair gets slicked to the surface of your mesh, rather than going inside or whatever.
Hossein Diba’s George Clooney tutorial on youtube also has some good tips for hair. Generally speaking though, you want to isolate pieces of hair, and slowly put them all in the right spot.

I think using xgen or another hair simulation software might get you better results in the long run.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply and the advice. I completely missed the collision settings, and tweaking with them made it bearable.

It’s far from perfect, but its so much better than previous attempts. I had to render it out. I could only stare at hair for so long.

Darkbeast.jpg

Attachments

Darkbeast.jpg

Been a busy week. Haven’t had much time, and everything I did make, I hated and abandoned half way through. Good news is I have a bunch of half made models if I ever get stuck for ideas in the future.

I wanted to make a Superhero this afternoon. He’s far from finished, Ended up being a Batman, Cat-woman, Black Panther, Magnum P.I hybrid.

Superzero.jpg

Attachments

Superzero.jpg

Love you work! Comprehensive design, respect that black feather of his. It could be an idea to assign some more realistic black feather matcap material within zbrush or if possible, it’s as well a possible approach to export UV map with UV Master Plugin.
After which, the texture can be justified within PS or sorts. ( the painting system of Zbrush is all good, just personal preference)
It’s a thought to turn up the light just a little bit for a better understanding upon a whole model.
Keep rocking with your astonishing job!

Thank you so much for the kind words and reply. I’ve spent a little more time with him before moving on

Some Zbrush screens and another render

Superzeroscreen.jpg

Superzero2.jpg

Attachments

Superzeroscreen.jpg

Superzero2.jpg

I’ve been procrastinating by playing around with an earlier version of my superhero. He really has zero direction. Somewhat of a Superordinary hero. I also need to work out the transpose tool.

Superordinary.jpg

Attachments

Superordinary.jpg

SOH.jpg

Attachments

SOH.jpg

I like it, he looks kind of sad. Sad big hands superhero.

Thank you!

Every hero needs a Villian. Some quick ZBrush screengrabs. He needs a weapon, thinking a staff.

Villian_WIP.jpg

Attachments

Villian_WIP.jpg

Villian2.jpg

Attachments

Villian2.jpg