ZBrushCentral

WIP eldar

Hey all
Just a wip making my attempt at an eldar from warhammer 40k lots to do keeping poly count down its only 60k at the moment so im learning as most of my modles are very high anyway cheers for looking

Attachments

Untitled-1.jpg

Neat! If you don’t mind my nitpicking, it looks more like a Space Marine unit than an Eldar. Eldar are the elfy ones. Space Marines are the burly guys with pauldrons and backpacks like that, that festoon everything with skulls and bird imagery.

Have fun!

Hey
Thanks for the comments mate,i agree at the moment i agree il find the name of this im doing for you i may be wrong but im sure its an eldar but dont know what one it is maybe im wrong lol anyway thanks again
i have all the sculting to do and this one i can finish with textures as i kep file size down

The Eldar is turning out better than i thought it would lol,adding all the bits then will pose him and do all the sculpting and this one i can finish even with colour and texture as i kept the poly count down to just over 1.5 mill at the moment so maybe about 3 mill at the end,not bad for me lol i tend to make them huge file size,anyway cheers for looking

Nope im wrong your right lol silly old fart i am,ok this is a Dark Angels Librarian hehe cheers for that as i would have kept calling it wrong,i have most of them planned as i realy do like them anyway cheers again

well sunday and im done for the week time for other things cheers for looking

Coming along nicely!

Thanks mate its getting there

just a few close up shots,im close to being finished with all the peices,then il do all the sculpt work anyway cheers for looking

just checking the uv for the cloth came out ok cheers

ok so im getting the base colours on so i can then paint on loads to do,i work this way as i have been a fine art painter for nearly 30 years now and i tend to workt on the whole not bit by bit,that comes from painting in oils haha,anyway cheers for lookingZBrush Document.jpg

ok so still poly painting,trying to make it look like the painted modle versions so not going for realistic figure anyway cheers for looking
ZBrush-Document.jpg

I digging where this guy is going, maybe think about adding more dynamic wrinkles to the cloth. Also if you are going for the miniature type of feel with the paint, maybe try doing a mask by cavity to give it a dark wash effect. KEEP IT UP!

Thanks,i plan too once i done all the textures,these are nto as im just working out uvs and the like so once i finish all the sculpting then il start to texture for the final peice cheers

changed the cape,more sculpting on the cloth to finish not far to go now
cheers for looking
Untitled-1.jpg

ok just a few bits of sculpting and detail left to do,adding colours and textures as i go and alot of polypaint still to do,to make look like a modle instead of real person anyway cheers for looking
untitled.jpg

Hey all
Right aint had much time so still going on this one,still polypainting have a few bits let and not started on jet pack yet
cheers for looking

I’m glad to see all the progress you’ve made with this. It’s looking very cool! 40k figures are very detailed and ornate, and you’ve done a good job of modelling that detail in.

I’ll hold my other observations until the piece is further along, but I do have one critique at this point:

The hard surface forms look a bit soft and doughy in places. Most notably the forearms and that plate that covers them, but also a bit on the feet. They might be worth re-doing with ZModeler. Make sure to keep a low poly form of them so you can make changes without too much local distortion. When you start making changes at high poly levels with hard surface, you run the risk of making them look “mushy”.

Hey mate
thanks for input do you mean doughy as in bumpy if so yes i noticed that when you pointed it out,will sort them and may not be able to finish as pc wont go past ten k polys without spazing out hehe thanks again

Yes, some of those problem areas look a bit “soft” and deformed, as if they were cloth or thick leather, instead of machined metal. Compare them with the crisp, precise hard surface forms of the pauldrons and backback. This can sometimes happen when trying to manipulate hard surface forms at too high of a subdivision level.

Recreating these shapes in precise low poly form would give you a low poly cage that could be manipulated without as much distortion, and also potentially help your polycount related performance issue. Use dynamic subdivision to preview the high poly form of those objects as you work on them, without actually subdividing them.

If you’re having performance issues, make sure to split the various armor pieces into individual subtools to allow for greater per subtool polycounts, if you’re not doing that already.