ZBrushCentral

Aizen's Sketchbook

Hey guys,

New user but long time browser of ZBrushCentral.

From all the inspiration of everyone’s sketchbooks i figured it’s time to make my own.

I’ll try keep this up to date with my latest work and doodles / training.

comments and critic as much as you like! progression is the goal.

Here’s some doodles I’ve been playing with before. (sorry about the resolution, render times are bleak on my machine)

This was my first attempt with Skin in Vray with quick editing in Photoshop.

Some Anatomy practice.

This is what i’m currently working on. Still a WIP but can anyone guess who it is? HINT: hes missing a scar under his right eye :wink:

Attachments

clay render2.jpg

renderfun.jpg

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Luffy_render_18.05.jpg

great hellscream …:smiley:
but symmetry is some kind of annoying…
and that female bust…nice proportions aND forms…:slight_smile:

Thanks man!

yeah with hellscream I originally made garrosh but half way changed to grom so the sym may reflect that (oops).
glad you like the female! Im still not fully satisfied with it so might give it another go at some point.

cheers

Quick update:

blocking in the body and a few changes to the nose bridge.

Luffy_render_19.05.jpg

Another small update on the chest.

plus added hint to who it is :wink:

BPR_Render-Recovered.jpg

quick update on the body.

render28.05.jpg

Really nice, but do you have any plans on changing the face abit? I somehow feel it doesn’t fit the body at all. Might be just me tho.

EDIT: Looking at it a second time I realized his lower leg below the knee are pretty feminine. (Judging by shape only)

Hey Sawarane

I feel the same, im trying to make a semi realistic Luffy from one piece but I’m not exactly sure how the transition would look so I’ve ended up with an anime style head and realistic body. any tips on which direction i should go?

yup the bottom leg does look feminine but it’s because i stopped at the knee today and haven’t added any mass as I’ve done knee up xD

thanks for the comment!

Well even a realistic Luffy would be less muscular by like a lot, he is after all a rubber man, pretty skinny. Would stick to more cartoonish animeish style. For that you need just to point out basic shapes and forms no real detail like abs etc. especially regarding Luffy.

thanks for the advice buddy, taking what you said into account, hows this? kept the abs just because he seems to be drawn with them.

ZBrush Document.jpg

Looks cool so far, I’m a huge One Piece fan though, so I have a bit of a bias! Maybe check out some of the existing figure sculpts for inspiration on how to tackle some of that stuff. Also, are you planning on giving him his big chest scar? Or are you doing pre-time skip? :smiley:

Well the thing is you really have to decide what you’re going for. Realistic or more animeish. If you go for more animeish You will have to make him even more skinny, the abs are pretty decent but just because he’s so skinny. You will also have to recheck on luffys upper body part and form.

For the more realistic way you’re going pretty well, little tweaks here n there (mainly the face :lol:) and you’re good to go.

Before you’ll get any further with clothing, I’d recommend to pronate the forearm where his palms are facing towards the floor. That makes the rigger’s life easier.

@Deathmetaldan. Thanks man! Good, id like a harsh opinion from someone who’s a fan :slight_smile: . I haven’t decided because I’m on eps 373 so I’m still before the time skip :L any preference? Ps thanks for suggesting the figures they are actually exactly what I needed, may have bought a figure in the process ������

@sawarane true, I think I’m still in the middle mark at the minute. I’ve actually decided on going more animeish just because it’s a grey area for me and I figured I’d maybe learn more. I found some “anatomy” images of luffy and sort of know what needs changed now. His torso needs to be longer and a few shapes changed so il try get an update done for tomorrow. Cheers for the advice so far dude.

@fourthynights I haven’t had much experience when it comes to rigging so thanks for the tip! It’s going to make my life so much easier… Clothes won’t be started for awhile, the shorts are just a 5 mins extract so I could see if a resemblance could be made with luffy :slight_smile:

Alright so I’ve adjusted a few shapes, made him more skinny and added length to his torso. hows it look?

ZBrush ScreenGrab01.jpg

update* legs, feet, torso

ZBrush ScreenGrab01.jpg

edit: slight adjustment to abs.

ZBrush ScreenGrab01.jpg

Alright very good progression, it feels now more like anime.
Things you have to adjust now:
His neck is a little too long, just a tad less.
You will also still have to adjust alot on the torso and chest, when I look at his torso, it reminds me of Ace his Brother but not Luffy. (check out Luffys abs form and his torso form overall and you will notice the difference)
Legs are fine imo, but would need a side and back view to be sure.

Sawarane Alright very good progression, it feels now more like anime.
Things you have to adjust now:
His neck is a little too long, just a tad less.
You will also still have to adjust alot on the torso and chest, when I look at his torso, it reminds me of Ace his Brother but not Luffy. (check out Luffys abs form and his torso form overall and you will notice the difference)
Legs are fine imo, but would need a side and back view to be sure.

cheers man! you are totally right, i’ve had a few problems getting references of luffy since 95% of figures or images he has his vest on or things are slightly different so i took quite alot from ace since hes always topless.
so i’ve went back to the drawing board.
hows this looking? i’ve decided to pose him a little so i can get more luffy ‘likeness’ as you can see from this reference.

ZBrush ScreenGrab01.jpgZBrush ScreenGrab02.jpg

Well the thing is if you really want to get to luffy then you will have to use original images of the anime. They are not very hard to find, even topless ones. Taking images as the one you posted is just taking over the mistakes the other 3d sculpter did. My guess is this is a 3d printed plastic figure. So depending on what you really want to achieve you can either go further from now on and create your very own variation of luffy and work on your sculpt or still change stuff and find good references to create the best possible sculpt in your ability to resemble luffy in the best possible form: Original Anime Form.
Just to let you know, this is a 100% possible. For example Guilty Gear. Those are actually 3d models but totally look 2D at any time given in the game.
If you are down for this I can give you material regarding the shader and methods used to achieve this 2D look on a 3D model.
Oh and the feet actually need more work ankle bones are off.

I think it’s looking pretty good, I’d stay away from doing such a drastic pose though when you’re first sculpting, I’d nail all proportions and such, and then pose at the end and do any fixes you need to then. That will give you the ability to do a few different presentation poses if you want and it will be easier to do that with a more neutral starting position.

I tend to disagree with Sawarane though for the most part (keep in mind this is all opinion). First of all the anime isn’t the original source material the manga is, so if you were really worried about that, that’s where I’d go. And honestly that’s not just a 3D print that “some other sculptor did” it’s a professionally sculpted piece that’s licensed and approved by their production company. I do still think that referencing someone else’s sculpt on something that is 2D originally is a good way to get an idea of how you want to interpret the forms, there is no right or wrong, if you don’t like a certain way they interpreted a form, don’t reference that part.

I don’t actually like that sculpt you’re looking at particularly, it’s okay but it’s not the best. Check out the Bandai Figurarts Zero figures (My favorite personally, and I think they interpret the characters the best) and the Megahouse Portrait of Pirates sculpts are also pretty nice.

But, that’s just my two cents, keep workin’ on him! Oh and I definitely prefer post-time skip Luffy, that big scar is a cool character addition! ha.