Default Chris's Sketchbook

So guys, i have been doing and studying 3D modeling for some time, and i felt like sharing it with someone now, to have some critiques on my work.

These are the models i did so far:

All of these images were modeled in ZBrush and rendered in Cinema 4D.
    Comments and Critiques are really wellcome!

I'm going to focus more on the first image of the human / neanderthal because they are beginners mistakes that I made when starting to model organic creatures. I'm not saying your work is bad. It's rather good. You just have a missed a step in the beginning that cascades to other problems further down the sculpt's progress.
    http://fav.me/d5kij25
    That's my first attempt.
    As you can see, the jaw lines are very similar. It... kind of looks like there is no lower jaw bone at all. And I made that mistake too. Other issues are at the forehead, where the wrinkles are so deep that they deform a skull if it were there. The ears barely protrude outward, but you at least tried to sculpt it... where I just gave up on it on my first and second attempts in Maya. They all stem from one thing... not blocking out a skeleton.
    For the head, I recommend starting with a skull, then add muscles and skin. ZBrush comes with a very good grid for the skull. Just go to Lightbox, select Grids and the first one (the one that has a top, side and front).
    Just have a dynamesh sphere and you'll be ready to move the parts into the general positions.
    One other recommendation I have is to open the "Draw" menu and look for "Floor" because that's where the grid options are. click "Front" button and you'll be able to see the reference image on through your model. If you rotate you'll also notice something that's kind of cool, you have references for the top, bottom, front, back and sides, all set up for you. You can turn on/off the grid by clicking "Floor". This will help you sculpt the jaw bone.
    Since your intent should be to later add muscles and skin, keep everything one piece.
    If your model starts to get lumpy, you can use the Trim Dynamic brush or hPolish brush (in sub or alt mode) to fill in the lumpy parts and start again. (alternatively, if you have subdivisions, just lower your subdivision level temporarily to Smooth out the lumps and go back to the upper subdivision. You'll keep most of your detail, while correcting the lumps.)
    You did a good job on detailing the overall texture and placement of the hair. And after you are used to blocking out the skeleton, you'll start to see the volume and can do more of a quick sketch reference for where you want to place your landmarks.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Firstly, Thanks for the comment and the tips Vector!
    So, i have 2 serious problems with 3D modeling/sculpting, and i know i will only be good when i solve then.
    One is that i don't like to use reference. I never use it. I don't know why, but i don't get along with using reference. I Even have 2 screens, but i have problems with using reference. I will try it again the next time.
    The other one is that i don't know how to make ears haha.
    But i will definitely try the skull grid and focus on getting the overall anatomy right. The neanderthal was also one of the firsts i did. The latest one is the pig.

Todays quick sketch

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Good start. I would advice you to study the planes of the head. Dont go into details just keep the main masses intact. Look at Gottfried Bammes, Bridgman or Loomis.

Hey man, thanks for commenting! i gave a look on those artists work and did this:

I know it is far from a good anatomy, but i think its better than the others i did before.

Edit:
    Added eyes

Ok, it's looking a bit better. It looks like you started at a very high detail (subdivision or dynamesh detail) level, which can result in the model looking gummy. If you use subdivision, you can just lower the subdivision level a few times to help you control the overall geometry. You can also smooth it from this lower subdivision and retain most of your detail. Otherwise, duplicate your model (Ctrl Shift D) and dynamesh a lower setting (or even make a new base mesh using ZRemesher). Then just add a few subdivisions and open the subtool pallet to Project and click project all.

It's better to start low poly and add the detail when you can't push the sculpt further.

On a related note: if you saw Danny Williams presentation at the ZBrush Summit, you might get some ideas of how to start off low poly and progress to make your character. If you didn't see it, or need a refresher,
    http://youtu.be/HsPh4sIdy0I
    is a youtube video on this. You might get a lot of of watching others develop things.
    Anyways, keep sculpting.

Thanks again for the answer Vector, good to know that there are people here that can help each other!
    So, i did the remesh and reproject, and, wow! I have the some model, with better topology and 93% less polys. Its awesome.
    And i tried to improve it! The lips are really hard for me to get right, but i think i improved.

I did not watch the summit, nor this video, but as soon i have some free time, i will watch it and try to "Follow the Steps". Thanks for all the help!