Default De Niro

Hi Guys,
    Here's my latest work, De Niro,I did this one for CGFeedback's Mini Challenge(likeness sculpt), and got lucky enough to have the first place.
    Also I did a little Making Of for this piece after I finished it. will post it later.

Ref VS Render

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

nice likeness, great to see that the model have the likeness from another angles, not a usual thing to see on a zb likeness from a photo.
    i would love to see how you approach the hair on the making of.

Super Awesome work man.you nailed the reference.just love it.definitely TOP ROW.

Whoa, great job! Can see why you got first place - it's spot on! Love the close up detailing in the skin pores and the eyes are beautiful. Also you captured his expression perfectly! Congrats!!
    "Better smeg, than dead..."

Member Follow User Gallery

Impressive ! you are very close to the reference image.
    Duchesnay Denis.

Personnal Website

Default Making Of

I grab some wip images when I was sculpting, I used these images for this Making Of, maybe I need apologize for my English first, I hope you can get what I mean with my bad English

The first thing I was doing was searching references, I googled a lot of De Niro's pics and evaluate which one will be the best for DeNiro's look, first time I saw the black/white one I knew it was the one I was gonna do, I think it has a very fascinating express and can capture people's eyes quickly.
    Also I needed more reference especially at this age, it's not possible to find nice enough pictures on internet, so I decided to find a movie of him , Righteous Kill, and grab some very nice pictures of him ,especially the side view of him, and it's very close to his age in the black/white picture.
    For My experience, you should select 1 or 2 or 3 pictures for the main reference, and other pics just for finding forms and shape connections. 'cause pictures from internet always have very different focal length, and may lead you to the wrong place.
    In this case , I use those 3 for my main references.

Next I was going to start to work on it.

After the head was good, I started to wok on the hair.
    I used maya hair system for hair.
    The method I modeled hair was base on layers, first I did a general shape of hair with some polygon planes. and then I started to split those meshes to more detailed hair planes.
    I analyzed the photo and found that at least he has 3 different kind of hair, 1 is black, 1 is grey ,and 1 is white, so there's at least 3 layers. After this I added some messy hair, and some little hair at hairline area.
    You can see the main layers of hair I did:

By the way, the hair shader for black and grey were Vray hair shader3, but the white one is default hair shader. I found it's hard to get "white enough" look by Vray Hair shader3.

Next is texture.
    I didn't spend much time on texture, 'cause it left little time there.
    The shader for skin is Vray Fast SSS2 shader.

The last thing was lighting . It was simple setting, see blew:

That's it
    Hope you like the work.
    PS, here's a Gif of my sculpting process.

I have a Chinese version for the Making Of that I shared with my friends on my blog, if you're interesting in it, check it:
    http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_88763aa90101h9wy.html

Thanks a lot for making process sharing! Nice likeness and very good work!

amazing spot on , my only comment would be that the white hair is a bit too white and the black parts a bit too black. A bit more transitioning between both colors would be better i guess.

Thumbs up

Top row people you've got a new winner here, man your work is amazing !

Excellent work! I really like the skin shader you used. Very good likeness too.

Another Deniro! It's like a DeNiro invasion at ZBC! Yours is really outstanding, by the way! Just excellent.
    "Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture." - Allen Ginsberg

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for sharing bro.

Member Follow User Gallery

I really like your work, thank you share your production process here.

Such great work ! thanks for sharing the breakdown and your work . it's honor to replay !

great job !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast