ZBrushCentral

Gerard Dunleavy - Masters Thread

Hello everyone, My name is Gerard Dunleavy and I am a 3D artist living in Belfast.

I am currently studying for a Master degree in Multidisciplinary design and would like to keep a thread here on Zbrush Central to share with everyone the findings of my research and gain feedback on my practical pieces.

My ambition here is to improve my skills and help others do the same.

If you would like to find out more about my research, I have a Tumblr blog that I will post my theory work along with Artist interviews, tutorials and inspirations, the link is below.

www.gerarddunleavymasters.tumblr.com

I have just posted and interview with the super talented Frederik Storm!

To get this thread rolling I would like to show everyone a character I have been working on this week.

ZERG_Sculpt_WIP_thumb.jpg

Attachments

ZERG_Sculpt_WIP.jpg

ZERG_Sketch.jpg

Good work, although I would like to see a little skin texture. I hope to see more of his work.
:+1:

very nice first post!

Thanks very much guys for your kind words!

@jaimedc - Thanks! I’m going to add lots more detail and skin texture to the head, it is too smooth at the moment.

A quick update, I have added a broach and sculpted the cloak, I’m not happy with it yet. I will work on the head next and come back to the cloak later.

All comments and critiques welcome.

ZERG_Sculpt_WIP_thumb_2.jpg

Attachments

ZERG_Sculpt_WIP_2.jpg

I have been working on the cloak a bit more, I am a little happier with the result, I have also added some detail to the head, quite subtle at the moment.

The next step is to build a low poly version and see if I can get him to act a little :slight_smile:

All comments and critiques welcome

ZERG_Sculpt_WIP_thumb_3.jpg

Attachments

ZERG_Sculpt_WIP_3.jpg

I love the pattern on the left side. The details have greatly improved the work, and it is running great. I advise you to weave I placed another type of material.
Maybe you can help me with this problem. Here is the Link… http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?p=754442&posted=1#post754442

@jaimedc - Thank your very much! I will visit your thread and see if I can help

I have made some new topology for this guy (i’m going to have to name him soon) and baked some normals/AO map.
My next step is to create some Blend shapes and see if I can breath some life into this guy.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome ZERG_Sculpt_WIP_4.jpg

Wow, very nice style!

@SolidSnakexxx - Thanks very much!

I have been working on some blendshapes, they still need a some work and I estimate I would need to have over 20 if I want a good range of emotions

Let me know what you guys think, all comments and critiques welcome

Attachments

ZERG_Sculpt_WIP_5.jpg

Like the one with eyes closed. :wink:

cool,about blend shapes,is it as simple as just making them in zbrush and importing them into your other software for animation? or is there allot more too it?

@jaimedc - Thanks very much, I quite like that one too :slight_smile:

@Nubian-Anubis - Thanks, Yes making blend shapes is fairly straight forward but there are a few tricky bits, I would usually

• Sculpt the highpoly
  • Retopo the high poly with good edge flow
  • Export the lowest level mesh to the animation package
  • Sculpt the blendshapes from the low poly mesh

when moving from Zbrush to another package always keep in mind not to change the mesh so that the vertex numbers are different or else you will come across problems.

I have created a new blog post with some info on my sculpting process, just click here - gerarddunleavymasters.tumblr.com

After my last post I brought the lowpoly mesh to my MA tutor, Greg Maguire (Awesome guy) and we talked through some of the topology issues…which were many, its great to have someone who knows about animation and Rigging giving advice because I thought the topology was fine.

So back to the drawing board, I am going to build a new low poly mesh paying more attention to the edge flow.
in the meantime here is another Zbrush Render.

Attachments

ZERG.jpg

As I have said in previous posts, I love this creature. The color of the skin, large eyes, and the lighting is perfect.
I wish I had that talent that has to do these jobs. It is only a wish. Congratulations.
When will we see the rest of the character? :smiley:

If you do not mind, could go through here?. you can help me on this. :confused:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=97140&page=2&pp=15

Thank you very much jaimedc

thumb_1.jpg

Attachments

Colour_WEB_Preview1 - Copy.jpg

Diffuse_WEB_Preview1 - Copy.jpg

Haha, cool creature :slight_smile: :+1:

Ha Ha, this little guy is awesome. Can’t wait to see more.

I really like this Elder Beast guy. Fun shapes!