ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: Head modeling part 1

Hi :slight_smile:
This tutorial describes one of the methods that can be used when modeling a 3D object. The key points within this tutorial are the method of subdividing a 3D object in order to get higher resolution mesh and the use of the editing curve and its impact on the resulting surface.

Rendering Mode Note: I usually choose the RENDER:FAST RENDERER mode when I model a 3D object. This mode is faster than the preview renderer mode and by ignoring any material information that you may already have on the object, it reduces material-shading distractions.

Select the FAST RENDERER mode, and letā€™s startā€¦

1. We will be using the Sphere3D tool as a starting point. Select the Sphere3D tool. Activate the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:SYMMETRY :small_orange_diamond:X mode. Set Tool :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIER :small_orange_diamond:Deformation :small_orange_diamond:Initialize :small_orange_diamond:HDivide=64 and VDivide=32 . We start with a relatively low-resolution (polygons count) mesh because it is much easier to mold the base shape of the head when there are fewer polygons, further more, less polygons means faster interaction speed. As we add more details to the model and we find that the current resolution is insufficient, only then we may choose to increase the mesh resolution (either globally or only in the area that requires higher resolution). In this example I have turned off the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:SH and SV which disables the subdivision renderer. We do that because you may find it easier to model the head when the object is faceted and you can easily see the actual polygons. When done with the modeling session, you may reactivate the SH and SV in order to get a smooth surface. Now, draw a sphere in your canvas and rotate it such a way that the poles of the sphere are pointing up and down (and not in/out, as it is drawn by default). We choose this orientation of the sphere because it will make it easier to align the nose/eyes/mouth to the polygons grid. After you have drawn the sphere in the canvas, enter EDIT :small_orange_diamond:DRAW mode and draw the front features of the face. Switch to EDIT :small_orange_diamond:MOVE mode and use push/pull actions in order to deform the sphere into a head looking like object. Notice that when drawing the front features of the face, you should try to align these to the existing polygons grid (which is the reason that we have turned off the SH/SV).

2. Continue editingā€¦

3. Continue editing until you get to the point that you are satisfied with the overall shape of the head and ready to add finer details.

4. Increase the mesh resolution by using the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:DEFORMATION :small_orange_diamond:Divide function and then apply TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:DEFORMATION :small_orange_diamond:Smooth at 100% once.

5. Continue using the EDIT :small_orange_diamond:DRAW and EDIT :small_orange_diamond:MOVE mode until you get to the point that are satisfied with the overall shape of the head and ready to add the finer details.

6. Increase the mesh resolution by using the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:DEFORMATION :small_orange_diamond:Divide function and then apply TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:DEFORMATION :small_orange_diamond:Smooth at 100% once.

7. If you feel that you would need even higher resolution in specific areas then you can use selective masking before applying any further subdivision. In this case, I opted to increase the resolution in the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears.
7a: In order to apply the masking, you need to be in EDIT :small_orange_diamond:DRAW mode and holding the ā€˜controlā€™ key while drawing in these areas (Note: the masked area is drawn darker than the unmasked area).
7b: Use the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Modifiers :small_orange_diamond:Selection :small_orange_diamond:Inv to inverse the masking. This will now apply the masking to the other areas and remove the masking from the area that we wish to subdivide.
7c: Apply TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:DEFORMATION :small_orange_diamond:Divide once. Now the object has higher resolution in the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears areas.
7d: Press the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:SELECTION :small_orange_diamond:CLEAR in order to remove the masking and the apply TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:DEFORMATION :small_orange_diamond:Smooth at 100% once. If you intend to model a young looking (smooth surface) face, then you can simply continue using the edit mode and add further details to you model. In this example, we are interested in creating a rough/old looking surface so we continue with the next stepā€¦

8. The shape of the editing brush is by default a very ā€˜softā€™ brush. In order to continue and model the face to have a rough surface we need to modify the brush shape.

:warning: The shape (fall off) of the editing brush has a significant impact on the type of surface that will be created!.

To modify the editing brush we need open the curve control which is located in the TRANSFORM :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS sub palette. By default the curve looks like the image belowā€¦

We need to modify its shape in order to get a sharper-editing tip. Click on the middle dot and move it up in order to get shape similar to the image belowā€¦

Now the editing tip is ready, lets continueā€¦

8a: While in EDIT :small_orange_diamond:DRAW mode, draw on the model and youā€™ll notice that the surface is losing its smoothness and becomes much rougher. You may need to adjust the ZIntensity and brush size in order to get the impact that you are looking for.
8b: a zoomed area of the face.

9. Continue editing, try using various editing curves, ZIntensities and brush sizes in order to get a better feel of the impact that these controls have over the surface.

10. Reactivate the SH and SV and we are done.

While working on an image, I usually end up modeling several variations of the main creature head. These models do not get to be used in the image, so here is a page with some of these modelsā€¦

Notes:
1. You may even start with a lower resolution mesh (SH=32 SV=16)
2. If you have reached a stage in your modeling that the object has a lot of fine details but you are simply not satisfied with the shape of the model, you may want to use the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:DEFORMATION :small_orange_diamond:Optimize (once or twice) in order to reduce the mesh resolution and continue from that stage.
3. I usually use the EDIT MOVE mode when modeling a large area of the object, use the EDIT DRAW mode for fine details.

I hope that youā€™ll find this tutorial helpful,
If you try this tutorial, please post your image/s and finding.

Pixolator

:eek: Whoa! Looks good. :slight_smile: My head modeling technique is a little different than this one. Iā€™ll have to give this one a try and see how it feels. :wink:

yepā€¦had a quick play with tutorialā€¦I always had in the back of my mind the half-baked knowledge of the draw tool and its modification abilitiesā€¦but there it remained.

I have achieved some photo-realistic heads, with just the default editing brushā€¦a lot of time and a lot of practice. Now with the editing brush modifier I can model faster and betterā€¦all the hours of practice have helpedā€¦now Iā€™m blown away.

My initial approach to the sphere and head is far different to yours Pixolator, I also never add resolution, but that is my way. I will be posting a head, which I might add I canā€™t wait to draw, when I find the time in the next few days. I have hit pay-dirt, and my ZBrushing is now in orbitā€¦watch this space. I urge everyone to experiment and experience. Throw away your cameras!

Many thanks ā€¦

THANK YOU, Pixolator! There was some very good info in there I hadnā€™t considered. I canā€™t wait to apply it.

After thoroughly reviewing the tutorial, I realize that my technique is not much different, I just do a little more prep work in the beginning, and then a few other things during the modeling. :slight_smile: Here are some of the things I do that you may want to try in addition to the steps Pixolator specified above.

Sample Head

Prep Work

After placing the sphere I enter Edit mode and

1. Modify my sphere to a more oval shape, by changing the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Initialize :small_orange_diamond:X Size and Y Size to 75.

2. Tilt the head by changing the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Deformation :small_orange_diamond:Rot X to 105.

Other steps

1. I find myself constantly changing Draw :small_orange_diamond:Draw Size and Draw :small_orange_diamond:Z Intensity. The Draw :small_orange_diamond:Draw Size varies the area covered, while the Z Intensity varies the depth of the features. I mostly use a Draw :small_orange_diamond:Z Intensity of between 1 and 10.

2. I often mask just one particular feature and work with it individually or in pairs (using the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Symmetry :small_orange_diamond:X), like the eyes, ears, nose or lips.

3. I resize these individually selected features using the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Deformation :small_orange_diamond:Size XYZ, especially for lips, I use Tool :small_orange_diamond:Deformation :small_orange_diamond:Inflate.

4. Also, while having the individual or paired features selected, I use the Transform :small_orange_diamond:Edit :small_orange_diamond:Move and

5. Oh yeah, and lots and lots of model rotating while modeling. Not the Tool :small_orange_diamond:Rot X, Y and Z, but the Transform :small_orange_diamond:Rotate or while in Edit :small_orange_diamond:Draw Pointer mode clicking and dragging outside the selection sphere. Rotate the model 360 degrees over and over again until the model looks acceptable.

Hi Pix,

Top tutorial as usual.

S

Yep well ā€¦

Itā€™s all very fine to draw what I see as simple heads. I know nobody caresā€¦what I think or doā€¦all unproven as yet ā€¦
A child could model all Iā€™ve seen so far. How about extending Zbrush to where it can go? :slight_smile:
And if I sound Like an_______ it is because I am One.
Letā€™s see some good stuff please.

Iā€™ll put my money where my alcoholic mouth is as soon as I have had my birthday partyā€¦yep first day of school tomorrowā€¦and worked Sunday for 8 hoursā€¦ which is USAā€™s Saturday. The Statesā€¦so yesterday, manā€¦

Pix please delete as I goā€¦ thanks

Hello Pixolator,

Someone questioned, ā€œdo you ever sleep?ā€ - ha - they noted your posting was time stamped about 4 in the morning. I notice this thread is stamped a much more reasonable 6:31am :wink: :wink:

As everyone else, I enjoy your tuts. From this one Iā€™ve learned the low to high poly progression, makes sense. Iā€™ve always started at max resolution. Some tools I create specifically for export so I avoid any area selective division (causes possible texturing issues).

As a suggestion, your fine tutorials would be enhanced if some of the numbered instruction images could be linked to a full scale image. This would exceed the benefit of the closeups. I feel guilty even suggesting this additional effort but if itā€™s true you donā€™t need sleep . . . . . :cool:

jd

I just want to add an extra tip here that may help some in the future and add some extra precison in your model and texture making.

Right at the start select the sphere and change itā€™s mesh density (if required) and then simply type ā€œ90ā€ in the MODIFIERS> DEFORMATION> RotX box(Pic-2). This rotates the sphere so the spheres ā€œPolesā€ are facing north and south.(Pic-3). I do this because when you come to unwrapping the model (which you can do with a simply button-press in version 1.2!) - the texture unwraps with the face in the middle of the map. The default sphere draws the sphere with the pole facing towards you (pic-1), and if you built your head with this and unwrapped it, the map would be seriously weird!

In the example above I have unwrapped the head and designed a facial tattoo (called a Moko) for a Maori warrior face, (pic-4 & 5). I have done this in photoshop using the unwrapped map as a template. Then I bring the blackā€™nā€™white tattoo design into ZBrush via the alpha pallette and apply it to the model, via the heads MODIFIERS> SELECTION> ā€œALPā€ button. (Alp = apply a mask from the Alpha pallette). The Alpha mask fits perfectly!. I found the mesh has to be pretty dense for such as detailed alpha map applied to it, which reached the limits of my wee computer, so when I cut into the head via a low ZIntensity- ZSub brush stroke, the design came out a bit pixelated around the edges (live and learn!)

Here is the picture set up with a sigle spot light from above. Iā€™ve mucked up the material (too shiney/metalic), but I was concentrating on technique here.

This method doesnā€™t have to be just for tattoos! You can unwrap the model to create an alpha map in photoshop for certain bumpy areas of the face or define smooth areas. Or simply to create masks for use in other programs.

My 2-cents.
Upham.

Upham, GREAT tips! Nice looking image, too, or at least the beginnings of one. Those eyes look seriously creepy. Well done.

Now weā€™re getting somewhere! :slight_smile: A little light went off while I was working through your tutorial Pixolator! Kathy gave me some help with my tablet, and Iā€™m finally starting to understand the tools somewhat. Here is my first posted image, it sucks, but compared to what I was doing last week Iā€™m so happy! Thanks for the tutorial :slight_smile:

Sorry for posting twice in a row butā€¦ is there an eye tutorial somewhere that I missed? :smiley:

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks for posting your images and tips :slight_smile:

Stacy: I have added the Eye tutorial in this thread.

Hey Pixolator,
I sheepishly have to admit I lazily skipped reading step one, where you mention rotating the sphere, which was kinda my point in my post above. Sorry, I repeated what you wrote.
I definatly learnt something from this tutorial. Especially the brush-curve. That was new to me. Although I do not understand the logic of your graph-curves??. If the graph was a normal X&Y structure ā€¦ No, no, hang on Iā€™ve just worked it out while typing! Doh! You change it (in the second pic) so it rises sharply in the Y direction to start with, producing a more ā€¦ um, a tool that punches in or out quicker/steaper. (not sure how to phrase it) I understand now!

Also Iā€™ve always been a bit freaked by the divide tool on a mesh. See pic belowā€¦
I always thought you meant to divide your mesh via the importing of an polymesh tool as you showed me in the Games modeling tut. (and you canā€™t unwrap a .obj spherilized-cube)

When I mask a sphere and click divide, I get all these lines through the mask which makes me think Iā€™ve mucked it up. Now I just realised that it is all the new horizontal and vertical subdivisions in the mesh created by the divide. Am I right? This still means the polygons to the sides and top have been split as well, right?

Anyway, thanks again. Iā€™ll post some examples soon.
Upham. (dill-head) :rolleyes:

Okay, Pixolator. Here is the first head that I have created using your tutorial. I havenā€™t started any of the texturing or anything like that yet. Thought you might like to watch the work in progress. Besides, I felt that it was more appropriate to display it at this phase of development so that it would be in keeping with the theme of the thread.

:ex: I would appreciate any 121 from anyone who cares to.

ok im a beginner at zbrush figers y im postin any way i was wndering does the same go 4 demo :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ??? and i know this is a little mean but could include more pics??? thnx. :smiley: :wink:

I found out about Zbrush two days ago and I decided to give it a try. Since that moment, I cantā€™s sleep because all I think about is zbrush :slight_smile: I went trough several tutorials and learned a good deal about the software.

Here is the first project I completed.

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads0/user_image-1009071860gfo.jpg[/img]  [img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads0/user_image-1009071902ztb.jpg[/img]    

After doing this test model two questions remain unanswered :slight_smile:

:large_orange_diamond: how can I add eyeballs (or other objects) to the model and keep the original models (and others) editable ? 

:large_orange_diamond: is there a way to select back the models for more editing ?

Iā€™d apreciate comments about my first model and answers to these questions.

ZBrush is awesome !!

Danny Despres
Http://dreamlords.tripod.com/members/ddespres/

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Itā€™s all very fine to draw what I see as simple heads. I know nobody caresā€¦what I think or doā€¦all unproven as yet ā€¦
A child could model all Iā€™ve seen so far. How about extending Zbrush to where it can go?
And if I sound Like an_______ it is because I am One.
Letā€™s see some good stuff please.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, if you could do these heads as a child, you must some sort of an artistic prodigy. However, Iā€™ve seen some of your posts such as Malcolm M, and if a child could do the heads above, a fetus might as well do that one. Perhaps you were just new to ZBrush at that time and didnā€™t have the knowledge or practice to bring out your artistic skills into the 3D program. Still, it seems rather odd how harsh you are to other users about proportion and anatomical details when you can post your figures without being totally embarassed.

It seems as though you judge the aesthetic qualities of the model based solely on reality. You seem to know a great deal about human anatomy. However, your execution so far has been terribly poor. Iā€™m amazed by the knowledge you have shown in some of your posts about anatomy, yet Iā€™m equally amazed that someone who is so familiar with the muscles of the human face could model figures as disproportioned and awkward as your attempts so far. You must have simply memorized facts out of a book, because if you had gained the knowledge from propoer artistic training, your execution would be much better. Sorry to be a bit harsh, but perhaps itā€™s time you taste some of your own medicine.

I just recently acquired ZBrush and I donā€™t have even close to the skill of Pixolator or some of the talented users of this forum, but I have enough training to recognize artistic talent when I see it. Iā€™m sure if Pixolator wanted to do a photorealistic head with standard proportions, he could do so easily and flawlessly. However, I think he is well beyond the rudimentary stage of slavishly copying life and has reached the point where he can stylize the figure and work with his imagination without being hindered.

Maybe soon you can dazzle us with your photorealistic art. But if you are going photorealistic, you might as well do it right, as shown in these two pictures:

wire

and the rendered version:

Rendered

nice head everybody, for those of you who are using that newbie tutorial that pixellogic posted up, try following that zscript that comes with it, it will make it more easier for beginners to ā€œvisualizeā€, rather then reading a crapload of text lol.

How do I do these tutorials? I go to Tool > Modifier >

and all I have under modifier is undefined???

I canā€™t get past the first couple steps??

When I try the pixolator demo in the program I get ā€œInterface item could not be foundā€.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please?

Go here for a screen shot of what I am seeingā€¦ http://home.comcast.net/~rmulawa/images/zbrush_error.jpg

Thanks in advance :slight_smile: