ZBrushCentral

Monday Night Challenge #3 - Spacecraft

This week’s challenge is brought to you by Jaycephus. He has suggested creating a spaceship. Originally, Jay’s thought was to create “vintage” spacecraft, such as one would have seen on The Day The Earth Stood Still and other sci-fi movies of the past. Feeling that might make the scope too narrow, it has been expanded as follows (although anyone who still wants to do the old style is more than welcome to):

1. Space craft (I am assuming only a single craft, but perhaps not. A fleet may be in order). Any design is acceptable, whether vintage, modern, or futuristic (of course, these terms are used loosely, since there are no known ships to compare with).
  2. Outer space background, original creation in ZBrush…no photos for backgrounds. Background may include stars, planets, nebulae, etc.
  3. Image can be modeled, painted, or a combination of both techniques. Hopefully this will open up options for our painters.
  4. Have fun! Come to irc chat on Monday nights and share your experience with others. We always have a good time. The room is #zbrush3, and is on sorcery.net

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 12, 2002 Message edited by: moderator </font>

Thanks, Brian/Slosh,

ADDENDUM: Any Spacecraft/Spaceship design is permissible, EXCEPT prior known designs. No X-wing, Tie-fighters, Star Trek ships, etc. Be unique. Do your own thing!

Actually, the idea came from Daniel Sandner. But I was appointed by the previous administration to make an ‘official’ selection of the Weekly Challenge. :slight_smile:

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 04, 2002 Message edited by: Jaycephus </font>

OK…I love science fiction!! I got straight to work on this as soon as the wife went to bed. Only 45 minutes of work. I will focuss on something with more detail next. I think I will be doing several differet styles…

Concept #1:
S’Squorl Scout Ship

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1036471166hsf.jpg[/img]

Concept #2:
S’Squorl Attack Frigate

Concept #3:
D.A.P.D. (Directorate of Arms and Public Defense) Mobile Missile Platform

Concept #4:
Corsair
(No space opera would be complete without the obligatory Space Pirate…)

Concept #5:
S’Squorl Homeworld

Concept #6:
D.A.P.D. Cruiser

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 09, 2002 Message edited by: Mentat7 </font>

I like concept! :slight_smile: background too :+1:

OMG Mentat! This rocks!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dang, he’s good. 45 min? We post the rules, I take a shower, come back on, and here it is! :+1:

EDIT: Nice additions!!

Is the third one all materials and light, or did you do some painting?

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 05, 2002 Message edited by: Jaycephus </font>

:smiley:

early to bed and early to rise…the first thing I did was come check out the challenge at 4am. My first trial for this. Very nice job M7…reminds me of the 5th Element movie for some reason…

Deralict

there were jaggies even after I started off with a doubled screen…grrrrrr

thnx guys…well I guess we are on a space race…ships are pretty fun to do…Kaz love the pic and nice update Lonnie…

(reposted…with a couple of additions on this model…)

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 05, 2002 Message edited by: Ron Harris </font>

great !! Ron, really good :slight_smile: I

wowow! Great job Mentat and Ron!! Both are excellent pieces!

You guys have set a fantastic standard, very well done. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Excellent Ron :+1:

Some of those jaggies look like serrated edges, and actually look good on the ship, to me. That is a sweet spaceship design.

I think you need to add some Fog Lights to that ship. It’s about to run into a planet.

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 05, 2002 Message edited by: Jaycephus </font>

Those look great! Forgive me for borrowing an element from your pic Mentat, but I love the effect of the glowing objects…
I love your ship design ron :+1:

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1036515367mnn.jpg[/img]  

[GalleryEntry]

[GalleryEntry]

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 12, 2002 Message edited by: Kaz </font>

:+1: :+1:

That is some seriously cool glows on your ships. I like the composition of skimming over a moon in orbit around a planet. It looks like a fighter wing about to spring an ambush. Are these the enemies of the S’Squorls?, The Phoxies perhaps? :wink:

I see they like to camouflage themselves to blend in with the closest objects. Is that a Chameleon Matrix they have on their hulls?
:wink:

Some interesting concepts going on here. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

Well… this is my try at it… not good at spaceships at all!

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 05, 2002 Message edited by: wenna </font>

My First Doodle. The Space Ship Fleet!

Here is another quick try at this subject.
DeeVee,
Joe

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 05, 2002 Message edited by: DeeVee </font>

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 07, 2002 Message edited by: DeeVee </font>

That is classic Joe!! And that is a very valiant go at it Wenna!! Just remember…Never say Never…

Wow! all the submissions so far are truly wonderful, Full of imagination, and great techniques. Not to mention colourful. There are some amazing textures & materials here.

Don’t worry Wenna, I am not great at modelling anything but it was fun to take the challenge anyways!

So here is my entry. Space ship & asteroids modelled from single spheres. Lights added to the ship using spheres and multimarker tool. Background painted on 2 layers using spraybrush on various settings with home made alphas. Photoshop used only to add signature and convert to JPG and compress cause it exceeded the limit for uploading here.

I really did put a lot of effort into this one, about 3 hours last night and another 2 this morning. I hope I will get faster as I improve my skills. :rolleyes:

:b4: :b4: :b4:

:b4: :b4: :b4:

Nice ships everyone! :slight_smile:

Here’s my very wierd doodle… I’d never have believed how hard space ships were! Lots of fun experimenting with lights and materials though. :slight_smile: I’m not really sure how long it took me, I still can’t read (even digital) clocks with any accuracy. :wink: All ZBrush. WingedOne’s extremely useful star script and symmetry script were used. :slight_smile:

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 05, 2002 Message edited by: Muvlo </font>

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 05, 2002 Message edited by: Muvlo </font>