ZBrushCentral

Exporting alpha masks ? (Tutorial: Alpha Mask)

Hi there,I would greatly appreciate your advice. I’d like to export an
alpha mask of my model in Z-Brush to use as a cut-out in photoshop for
futher manipulation. I’ve been using a flat render with the
contrast/brightness bumped up to achieve an alpha mask effect. I’ve also
tried this effect with best render to have anti-aliased edges. Is there a
better method than this ? Perhaps an automatic feature ? :qu: :qu:

Hi Boozie Floozie, boy that’s some handle!!! In regards to your question, there’s not a direct export alpha function in ZBrush at this time. But honestly, I think I would just color my object white & my background black - render my scene in Flat render & export my image. Once you import it into PhotoShop, You have the same thing as a cutout alpha. Or - If your looking for a “Bump” alpha, then render your scene as usual - export the image - & when you import it into PhotoShop, convert the image to “Greyscale” & you now have a bumpmap alpha. :slight_smile: I hope this helps some? Have a good one… :cool: Mark.

Use the MRGBZ Grabber tool and capture a bitmap and alpha image from your model. You can then use the alpha palette to export the alpha image as a bmp or psd file. The cool thing about Zbrush alphas are that they use 64000 colors whereas Photoshop uses 256 for greyscale

Hi,
Thanks Kruzr and Digits :slight_smile:
Here is some info about the MRGBZGrabber tool…

By using the MRGBZGrabber tool, you will be able to ‘grab’ both the texture and the alpha from the canvas…

Note: You may need to choose the proper settings for the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:SHADED RGB and the TOOL :small_orange_diamond:MODIFIERS :small_orange_diamond:AUTO CROP

-Pixolator

Thanks Digits & Pixolator…I didn’t even know that. :wink: See’ya later… :cool: Mark.

RE:Alpha export.
Thank you so much one and all for your excellant suggestions.
The booze is on me.
Yours in gratitude,Boozy Floozie

Hi boozy floozie, and Welcome to ZBrush Central!

Here is some more information about Alphas, including importing/exporting, and using Alphas as a mask.

Alpha FAQ

-ZuZu :slight_smile: